FreshStart2

Lunches for work

After 2 years of writing letters and submitting resumes, I've FINALLY been successful in getting a job. Im very excited and I'm hoping it will be just the boost I need to get back to my healthy eating and focus on myself.

Im after some ideas for healthy low-carb lunches to take to work. I want to try and do my shopping on Saturdays and prepare the week's lunches on Sunday, ready to go. I dont want to have salad every day, especially in winter. Anybody got something creative but fairly easy and cheap?

• Like 10

Firstly well done!!!!!!!

And I love crockpot meals for work lunches!!!! Stews,soups and casseroles then just zap them in the microwave at work! Then in summer I do salads in a jar and fruit salads and tuna on crackers.

Load your crockpot meals full of veggies!!! Yumm!

• Like 2

this is one of my current faves and is so easy to make (I make enough to do 2-3 lunches):

150 grams finely diced chicken

1/2 cup finely diced cucumber

1/4 cup mayo (of your choice)

1/4 cup finely diced avocado (I prefer to use the spicy squeezy tube avocado)

1 teaspoon dill (I use heaps more and I also add cracked black pepper)

Mix it all together and have it on crackers of your choice (Ryvita's are good, but also works on rice cakes) - smear some cranberry jelly on your crackers. I've also made a little parcel using mountain bread and put baby spinach on the mountain bread as well.

I take the chicken mix in a little tub and put it together at lunchtime as it will go soggy if pre-made.

This is very refreshing and really lovely. I got the recipe from the Complete Guide to Nutrition for Weightloss Surgery book (previously called Knife, Fork, Band)

• Like 2

All the foodies and the really cool people at my school are currently having 'a salad in a jar' for lunch each day. It is the simplest, cleverest and potentially yummiest lunch idea I've seen in years. I would go so far as to say it's life changing! 

Have a look at the link.

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-pack-the-perfect-salad-in-a-jar-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-192174

For ages after the jars started appearing in the staffroom fridge, I persisted with laboriously  assembling salads, toasting sandwiches or tweaking last night's leftovers. Given that my husband is my Assistant Principal and so I have two lunches to prepare each day, sometimes I'd be stuffing around for 20 minutes  Not any more........

K.

P.S. Well done you on getting a job!

• Like 3

Congrats on the job.....

I have a feeling that I saw that you were trying for a baby...

I bet now you have a job .. bang you will get pregnant.

Happened to me.

After months and months of interviews and applications I feel pregnant :)

Yay

Haha yes we were and that's been put on hold for now. I felt stupid buying condoms today to use until i can get a pill prescription. Ive only ever used them twice and hated them. Hubby isnt impressed haha. Im going to try and wait at LEAST 6-8 months until we start trying again. I think i owe my new employer that much, especially since i said i was looking for a long-term position. I dont really want to wait but i dont want to miss out on a job either. *sigh* cant have it all, can i. :P

As for the lunches i actually have no idea what's in the kitchen, i havent started yet so it will probably be cold chicken and salad til i work that out. I do a garden salad and add chicken, feta and pineapple. The pineapple and feta actually go so nicely together. Salty and sweet :) yumm. Or feta and roast pumpkin is hood too.

Im looking for ones that are very low carb, so just proteins and veggies. Im going to go without bread and wraps etc again because i find that works best for my weightloss. Im keen on a recipe for like a lentil and vegetable-type casserole? I might have to look in my slow cooker book.

• Like 2

Yep well done with the job and for smoko I have rice cakes and for lunch I take a small tin of chunky vegy soup and some rice cakes.

Some days I can eat the lot and other days I'm 2 table spoons into the soup and I'm full.

I make soups for my son to take to work and he loves them. I cook once every few weeks and freeze it in portions so I just get them out each day for him.

I make beef and barley soup, a mexican chicken soup, chicken and sweet corn soup, pea and ham soup. (He's into the low carb/high protein thing as he needs sustained energy for his job which is very physical and the protein keeps him going for hours.)

You could make meatballs in a bolognese sauce and just have it without pasta. It'd freeze well too. Or ... I can't remember what they're called, but you make up like a meatball mix and wrap it around a boiled egg then bake it. So high in protein and delicious. They can't be frozen though.

I've also made homemade baked beans for him that he has for breakfast but they're good to freeze as well and you could have them for lunch.

Ricotta or cottage cheese are pretty good with fruit. (pineapple, peaches, banana.)

I've been having diced apple with grated lite cheese and a few walnuts and chopped dates.

If you're going super low carb you won't want the fruit but I do low carb and include fruit because they're not 'bad' carbs like pasta/bread/rice/potatoes.

Good luck on the new job !

• Like 1

make frittatas in muffin tins and freeze them. Have them with salad or veges - whatever takes your fancy.

I often have dinner leftovers for lunch, I also have a freezer full of measured out curries and casseroles in ziplock bags all stuffed into a bigger plastic bag - I grab one out on my way to work and it's like a lucky dip :)

• Like 4

zucchini slice can be made ahead and frozen - you can make it as low carb as you like, just google for recipes...there are thousands

Congratulations on the job. Anything that you ca make in batches and freeze is usually great. Being organised is definitely a good idea as hopefully it will mean that you avoid temptation. As Kazbo said the nutrition for weightloss book (knife, fork and band) would be a good place to go as it will have a number of low carb ideas. Another place to check is the optifast recipe page, or just google low-carb recipes. I have a book of recipes that is 100cal or less (per serve) that I really need to get back to.

• Like 1

I've been looking for my Knife, Fork and band book that Kazbo sold me 2 years ago and I finally saw it the other week, so I need to go hunt down where I saw it and look for some recipes in there I think. :)

• Like 2

I couldn't remember who I sold it to! YAY for us!

• Like 1

All the foodies and the really cool people at my school are currently having 'a salad in a jar' for lunch each day. It is the simplest, cleverest and potentially yummiest lunch idea I've seen in years. I would go so far as to say it's life changing!

Have a look at the link.

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-pack-the-perfect-salad-in-a-jar-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-192174

For ages after the jars started appearing in the staffroom fridge, I persisted with laboriously assembling salads, toasting sandwiches or tweaking last night's leftovers. Given that my husband is my Assistant Principal and so I have two lunches to prepare each day, sometimes I'd be stuffing around for 20 minutes Not any more........

K.

P.S. Well done you on getting a job!

This post just changed my life - salad in a jar? Amazing!

• Like 1

Havent started the job yet, starting monday :)

Today i made some healthy slices to put in my sons lunch boxes. Its got oats, carrot, dates, applesauce and wholemeal flour instead of the usual butter, sugar and white flour. Im pretty happy with it. :) its not really "sweet" but the fruit gives just enough sweetness for it to be yummy.

I think im going to make a zucchini slice to freeze and take to work to start with.

• Like 1

Today I had three rice cakes, half an avocado and a small tin of tuna for lunch - 286 calories and it was delish!

• Like 2