Amanda Kay

Banded 10 years ago, 35 kilos lost. had mummy makeover. Where to go now that I want this thing out of me? So tired of the sickness.

Hi there,

I was banded after my children. I went from 60 kilo to 100 kilo - thank lollies and Magnum ice creams for that.

Always into a quick fix I came into money and lap banded y elfin melbourne (the doctor has now retired).

So 10 years on. I'm down to 65 kilo, been struggling with the last few 5 for years but my issues are…..

1. the hideous bump stat sticks through my clothes when to tight.

2. years of secret vomiting.

3.an abidance of quick exe in my hand bag.

4. not being able to swallow a plate of salad, or eat a stake, not even drink a full glass of water, but eat an easy chocolate bar instead.

5. people questioning my bulimia.

Basically I'm over it.

I'm now poor and want it gone. My health is crap and I want to with er move this thing behind a muscle so i may reactivate in 20 years time…or lose it all together.

Anyone know of a Melbourne doctor who will discuss this with me? Is there a possibility of bulk billing? I've already had some tests on my dodgy stomach.

Any leads to someone great to talk to would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Hi hunny, sorry about your current situation and that you aren't feeling healthy - it sucks!!!

I don't have any leads regarding doctors in Melbourne but I can relate to your story.

I've had my band for 10 years also and last year I had to have it revised due to a slip for the 2nd time and I was having severe night reflux and just felt incredibly unhealthy even though I was in the 'healthy' weight range. I even went through a stage where I questioned if I had bulimia because my band was so tight that I could easily just throw up all those naughty foods I just ate - so I did!!! I was over it, it was exhausting and I considered just getting the damn band out!

Before my last revision surgery I ended up deciding to keep my band and just not have any fills for a while, I just wanted to see how I went on my own. And I went really well for about 7-8mths and felt healthy again. I had a tummy tuck in December and I felt great. However, I'm an emotional eater and my weight started to creep back up again when my husband and I started actively making decisions about moving interstate and we moved in with my parents for a few months before we moved to Brisbane and it just upset my whole exercise/eating routine. I'm only just starting to settle down. 

Anyway, i'm glad i've kept my band because i've just started to get fills again so my weight doesn't get too out of control (I've put on 7kg since December). It's so relieving to have my band to fall back on right now. I had my third fill on Tuesday and for the first time in 15mths I can feel restriction and it's like having an old friend back!! 

I hope you find another surgeon soon so you can get some advice. 

xxx

• Like 4

I'm no doctor Amanda Kay and I'm still new to all of this, but having a read I wonder if your band might be a bit tight. Could be something to look into. Sorry I have no advice for your lump.

• Like 2

Since being at goal weight I also have felt forced to just PB a binge before the food has a chance to get into my stomach in order to maintain weight or at least limit any weight gain. I never did it to lose weight though, interestingly. Very easy to do and if ever caught you have the ready excuse of food being stuck because of the band. I've thought about whether this could be bulimia but ruled it out for me because I am really a binge eater which is triggered when I'm under additional stress or am upset about something and trying to do whatever it takes to stay at my current weight is what forces me to take drastic action to avoid rapid weight gain. Losing weight was really just forcing myself to start thinking more like an anorexic where I was calculating the calories in food constantly and I felt disgusted when I saw people buying or eating high calorie food, despite the fact that I would occasional binge myself. I try to have an eating plan to keep me in track but I honestly think that when ever I'm subject to abnormal stress I'm always going to binge as it's my coping mechanism in the same way the other people stop eating or turn to alcohol or some other vice. It just means I'm always going to have to watch my weight and diet off any weight gains from bingeing in order to avoid gaining weight over the long term.

• Like 3

I'm no doctor Amanda Kay and I'm still new to all of this, but having a read I wonder if your band might be a bit tight. Could be something to look into. Sorry I have no advice for your lump.

I am new to this but I agree with Rlar. From the research I have done - years ago the surgeons thought it was all about restriction but now there has been a shift where they want you to be able to eat most things in small quantities and if you are experiencing your horrible symptoms they take out a bit of fill. My dietician is insistent "v minimal easy foods, soups" and even if you are having a casserole to include crunchy veg so you chew like crazy. Again I am a newbie so don't have all the answers. Your situation sounds horrible.

I believe that there may be surgery available via the public system in Victoria (??) but I am not certain. Ask the good people in the Victoria section.

I also think there is a bariatric clinic in Hamilton that I believe has good prices. I am not certain about that either but it could be worth investigating

best of luck

Hi there,

I was banded after my children. I went from 60 kilo to 100 kilo - thank lollies and Magnum ice creams for that.

Always into a quick fix I came into money and lap banded y elfin melbourne (the doctor has now retired).

So 10 years on. I'm down to 65 kilo, been struggling with the last few 5 for years but my issues are…..

1. the hideous bump stat sticks through my clothes when to tight.

2. years of secret vomiting.

3.an abidance of quick exe in my hand bag.

4. not being able to swallow a plate of salad, or eat a stake, not even drink a full glass of water, but eat an easy chocolate bar instead.

5. people questioning my bulimia.

Basically I'm over it.

I'm now poor and want it gone. My health is crap and I want to with er move this thing behind a muscle so i may reactivate in 20 years time…or lose it all together.

Anyone know of a Melbourne doctor who will discuss this with me? Is there a possibility of bulk billing? I've already had some tests on my dodgy stomach.

Any leads to someone great to talk to would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I feel bad for you that you've had such a horrible experience.  My only confusion is... why don't you just empty out all the liquid in your band?  I know that each person is different, but with my band empty I can eat anything just as though I've never had the band at all.  I can slightly tell it is still there.  It's nice to know you can empty it and be done with all the symptoms of a tight band, and yet go back to it if you ever wanted to.  It seems like you make quick decisions on impulse.  Are you sure you really want it removed?  What if you gain your weight back?  It's ultimately your choice, of course.  

Hi Amanda, I'm also a newbie so I don't have all the answers.

By "1. the hideous bump stat sticks through my clothes when to tight" do you mean the port? I guess it is more prominent now that you are a healthy weight?

The surgeons that I saw in Melbourne are the CBS folk- Paul O'Brien et al. They have been overwhelmingly friendly. You could call their rooms and ask if they will see you? Don't know about bulk bills, but my follow-up fills etc have all been bulk-billed so they're not averse to it, clearly. You can only ask.

1st Floor, Glen Iris Private,314 Warrigal Rd, Glen Iris VIC 3146

(03) 9805 1500

http://www.lapbandaustralia.com.au/

It sounds like you do need someone to talk this over with and see if you need some sort of adjusting done.

Finally- from what I read, it's a bit like being an alcoholic: we, the previously obese, can NEVER go back to eating "normally" or risk ending up where we first began.