Sign in to follow this  
Johno

Shopping list

Hi all

As I start my pre op stage in 2 days and I dont see a dietitian till then I was wondering if there is a good shopping list link that someone might have.

Im trying to get my head around all this finding it a bit daunting

Also is low fat milk ok to use in optifast and is equal a good sugar replacement?

Johno

• Like 1

Chiiled water is best for the Optifast. I don't know what you have been recommended for pre op... but I was only  to have the optifast with water and green vegetables to fill the spaces in between, with lots of free water!! I had drinks like herbal teas and stuff... but giving up the carbs. dairy and coffees was the hardest!!! Mind you, it was soooo worth it... you don't miss them too much after about a week or so and you lose HEAPS  by doing this. Good start. Good luck - this is prob the worst bit!

:)

• Like 4

Chilled water is definitely the best (taste wise for optifast) and I even added shaved ice when blending for that extra bit of cold. I was allowed free non-starchy vegetables, diet jelly and diet soft-drink, chewing gum, as well as tea and coffee (I drink tea black and coffee white but neither with sugar which is lucky cause the surgeon recommended that I stop taking it). In the first 4 days I always had a supply of carrot, celery and capsicum sticks on hand to snack of when I had the munchies and one of my favourite night time meals was balsamic mushrooms and asparagus. I'll see if I ca find the list of allowed vegies for you (from the nutrition for weight loss surgery book)

• Like 3

Here is the list of vegetables, herbs and spices post-19781-0-50174200-1406531390_thumb.jpost-19781-0-88763100-1406531397_thumb.j

Herbs and spices = extra taste without extra oil.

BTW my surgeon recommended a teaspoon of oil per day (use it for cooking or dressing) for my gall bladder health.

• Like 2

rock on with herbs, spices, soy sauce, chicken stock powder and lemon juice to help flavour things up. If you PM me your email address I can email you my collection of optifast recipes - your mind will boggle!

lots of greens, carrot, cucumber, spinach, celery, mushrooms were my saviour!

Enjoy your last few weeks of being allowed fizzy drink and drink diet soft drink like your life depends on it as it will fill up your tummy. You can have black tea and coffee - no milk or sugar but sweeteners are allowed. Diet jelly is your new best friend. Eat diet lollies with caution as the WILL have a laxative effect!

• Like 5

Thanx all it helps

It sounds like its not as hard as Im thinking it will be I HOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My problem is I wait till Im really hungry then pig out, and thats what worries me.

I want to be able to go and buy the right food and throw the crap out that I have in my pantry so I cant pig out on crap :)

Johno

so pig out on vegetables instead :) you can have as many as you like

• Like 1

And don't wait til you're starving to eat. Pack up fruit, veggie sticks and steamed veg to have when you feel the need to eat. Most chemists stock sugar free lollies, keep some handy for that afternoon sweet hit. Make diet jelly and keep it in the fridge for when you're feeling peckish at night. 

I found being prepared made the opti so much easier. If I was tired and hungry I got really cranky that I couldn't eat something delicious and comforting and would continue feeling that way as I prepared my substitute meal. 

I had less time to be cranky if it was already there to eat, and if I wasn't hungry enough to settle for that I wasn't hungry enough to eat

• Like 2

you have no idea of the comfort that a cup of boiling water with a dissolved chicken stock cube can provide. Vegemite in hot water is a really satisfying, salty hit

• Like 1

great reading Kaz, I have just messaged you mate for ya list! ;-)

• Like 1

Zen then can you forward it on to me too please :-) You know my email address band buddy

sure can mate! :-)

Hi Johno,

I just started my optifast fortnight on Monday and the first day is definantly the hardest, I have asked a lot of people what they did while on optifast and everyone is different. I am on day 3 now and its much easier the hardest part is Dinner time at home, I had a salad last night which was my first meal in 2 days. But others have suggested Diet Jelly, Sprite Zero, Green Veg Steamed. But i think a lots each to there own and what you have to or goals are in the amount you need to loose before opp.

I hope this helps

Regards

Rick

• Like 1

make yourself some vegetable soup to snack on Bluebagger...it'll help with the late night hunger!

johno I use equal every few days as a replacement for sugar, cant see any problem with it really.