Hi everyone

Next week I am having my band removed after 2 years , the reason being not been able to eat much except soup and maybe some fish. Does anyone know what the procedure is after removal how long do I have to wait to eat a normal meal? Haven't had a steak for 2 years dying !!! Lol

• Like 1

I still have fill probably about 9ml I am just sick of not being able to eat a lot of stuff, I have lost more than 46% weight that's not the problem, I am having the sleeve on oct 1 st

Hi Coffee,

I had my band out in February and I'm being sleeved on Monday.

I had day surgery and was discharged about 3 hours after I came out of recovery, with limited pain. In fact, I took no pain killers at all with band removal lol.

I was on liquids for three days and then puree just to be safe, but every clinic is different. To be honest, even with no fill for 3 months before removal, I was still having stuck moments and PB's for up to 3 months AFTER band removal. Surgeon concurred the band was simply not for me.

It took about 3 months to feel no restriction, and I only gained weight once Ramadan came and I went nuts before starting Opti.

All the very best.

• Like 2

Hi Coffee

You must be feeling so relieved to be so close to having the band out - good for you!! I know you have had a hard road with the band and then getting  doctor to pay attention to you.

I was on soft food for a week and then introduced more solid food slowly after that. I think I ate steak around 2-3 weeks after band removal. Listen to your body and if it hurts, stop. Your stomach will take time to 'unpleat'.

Think of putting a rubber band around your finger and leaving it there a while. Take the band off and see how long it takes your finger to return back to normal.

I remember really relishing and enjoying salad sandwiches when I was unbanded!

• Like 1

I have just been booked to have my band removed as it has moved and caused a few problems over the past 6 months and then having a sleeve done 8 weeks after.... is this the normal thing these days to have done when the band starts to cause problems???

I got well below my goal weight and now have the option to be re-banded or go the sleeve route which seems to have less complications and a quicker recovery is that what everyone else is experiencing???

Any advise welcome...

hey somers

I guess each surgeon takes each 'band problem' person on a case-by-case basis but from what I have learned from calling different clinics is that there seems to be a preference for anyone who needs band removal to get a sleeve or bypass (as opposed to a replacement band). I gather that the main reason is there seem to be less ongoing problems with these procedures and there far, far less maintenance (from the clinic's perspective) with either a band or sleeve.

I would hesitate to say 'oh yeah, they just whip the band out and do a sleeve/bypass'...but it seems that many clinics certainly appear to prefer the sleeve over the band and in any part of the world, the bypass is considered to be the 'gold standard' of WLS.

As far as recovery is concerned, a band to sleever needs to take it VERY easy and slowly when recovering from the sleeve, even longer than a virgin sleever because of the risks of leaks is that much higher. Once you are through the first recovery stage, then life (for me anyway) has continued on as normal. I just feel like a person with a normal stomach, that does the stomachy things but on a much smaller scale.

I no longer fear food! I no longer worry about whether my band has 'warmed up' in the morning, I no longer look at a meal and wonder what I'll manage to get down and what might get stuck. It is so damned liberating!

• Like 1

Hi OP,

9ml is a lot of fill...why don't you have some taken our and see how you go? Is there another issue involved? I wouldn't be able to eat anything with 9ml either, I was too tight at 5ml. 

• Like 2