DaveTownsend

Advertising on BandingTogether - Your Thoughts?

Advertising on BandingTogether  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support limited advertising on a dedicated "Services" page on BandingTogether?

Hi All,

I have a question related to BandingTogether and the repeated requests we receive from different organisations to advertise or promote their services on the forum. Apart from an attempt to allow it in our early days (which failed badly) I have been very strict in not allowing ANY advertising on the site. 

I am trying to find a way to make this site sustainable (considering I currently pay for the forum software and website hosting) and although we have some wonderful members who donate when they can, it sadly doesn't come close to covering costs. 

Instead, I am wondering how people would feel if I created a new page on the site, like the "About" page above (http://www.bandingtogether.com.au/community/page/index.html), where companies who want to promote their services can do (something like "Services"). It would be heavily controlled (so that they could only include say 1 paragraph of text, an image and a link to their website) and they would still be banned from having any involvement with the forum itself (advertising in the forums would remain, and will always remain, banned). I would then charge a fee to cover the upkeep of the site and to pay to send Princess, Nonny and the other Moderators some long overdue and well deserved flowers & chocolates (or not, depending on their goal weight!). 

What do people think? I am happy to be guided by the feelings of the forum on this - ultimately I am not the "owner" of this community, it's your community and I am just the facilitator. 

NB: This is not going to be a slippery slope situation- there will never be any advertising posts in the forum, and there will never be banner ads or advertising anywhere else on the site - ever (eg the top, side or bottom of the forum design, or on the blogs, gallery or chat etc). 

Thanks,

Dave

Founder, BandingTogether

hey Dave

On the basis of the parameters you mentioned, then yes I support limited advertising on this forum.

• Like 2

i have no probs with this at all seeing you pay out of pockets expenses to give us this lovely forum. 

• Like 1

There is a pinned post in the Bandit Lounge with the link to donate. It's been there for around 18 months or so.

No problems with ads as long as they are not intrusive or popups or have tracking cookies. (Mmmmm, cookies).

I understand you need to monetize!

Perhaps a 'donate' paypal button on the front page/banner so it is always visible?

• Like 1

The way I see it, at the end of the day, the community participates in keeping this going, but it is your pocket enabling it to exist. If it needs ads to ease your financial situation and to thanks those who moderate with some "pay" as you put it, so be it.

Ads are part n parcel with the internet these days and I'm sure no one likes them, it's just a necessity. 

Who exactly would be the advertisers would be only query. It's one thing to have Australian "services" promoting WLS products and services, healthy solutions for food or drink etc Items that would truly benefit those interested in WLS pre and post operations. I would find it difficult to view advertisements promoting items displaying size 2 models with ripped abs of 8 packs from the U.S. pushing a protein powder not available here. Or worse, if it was food orientated and tasty morsels of fast food etc are blinking at me when I'm surfing the forum late at night.

So for me, to make some sort of informed response, I'd need more information. But like I said at the start, it's your pocket, not mine the $$'s are coming out of and I feel I have no right to state how this is paid for. I just enjoy being here and are grateful for the chance to be so.

So thank-you.

• Like 1

I agree, you do a great job and if it will help ease your financial stress then i dont mind at all :)

I don't see a problem with the advertising you have planned, it's not intrusive at all. You shouldn't be out of pocket.

Yep no problems here with advertising and mainly because I take no notice of it but then again advertising is dollars in your pocket to help support the site.