SXA

Any September Banders? :)

Just checking in to see how everyone is going post op. I'm now almost 4 days post op and feeling a lot better, however I'm struggling with brekky ideas, does anyone have any? I'm just having an optislim shake at the moment with a coffee. I hope everyone else is doing well post op😊

• Like 1

The Optifast shake is a good breakfast for your first week or so. Drinkable yoghurt is another but if it is thick, just dilute it with skim milk and stir it up. I liked the V8 juices Fruit Fusion I think it was for breakfast. Sadly most of this first week or so is liquids (again!) but given what your stomach has been through, if you attempt anything else, you will feel awful.

I also found myself having my homemade soups for breakfast. Thin broth soups are nice, if you like a savoury breakfast.

Just aim for approx 2 litres intake a day, this is what my dietician advised me.

Thanks Angel Butterfly, I hadn't thought about the V8 juices, I'll go and get some first thing! I will admit I am finding this soup thing hard, my dietician told me not to do the optifast pre surgery as I was borderline being banded but I wish I would have to get myself used to the drastic changes, how ever I'm defiantly sticking to it and I'm already seeing results, which is great! Can't wait for the mushy foods to come though😜

• Like 1

See I like soup so I can eat that anytime now. When it was soup or nothing, I wasn't missing out lol! So soup it was! You could always have a thin shake for breakfast too. Protein shake, sustagen, very runny custard. They were all on my list of thin liquids for day 2 - 14 from my dietician. 

Mushies will be here soon, as will thick liquids next week. Nice thick milkshakes, pumpkin soups and yummies like that are so much nicer, but prepare yourself mentally for it too. As you said with the Optifast, it's a bit of getting used to going from something thin sliding down compared to something with a thicker consistency oozing down!

Hi everyone. I'm feeling heaps better today. Little tender but that's too be expected. Having trouble with Constapation but getting there. Drinking heaps of fluids. Feeling full so quickly after just a little soup.... Love it. Have lost 10kilos since started on optifast yipeeeee. Going well. Thanks everyone for sharing on the forum it really has helped me. Hope everyone else is going well too.

• Like 2

Congrats Tam, that's fantastic news.

The constipation isn't fun is it. For me, with my medical past, I was thankful for the constipation, but now as time goes on, I am having a few more bouts of it. I got the hint of the Benefibre from people on here and it is working ok so far for me. I've also read pear juice is a treat to push things along too. I know when I did finally use mine a week later, I thought I'd dropped a few organs out as well lol it hurt so don't let it get as uncomfy as that. I wish I had been told of that aftermath so I could of been better prepared.

Glad you are home, time to heal and relax. Hi to Mum too :)

Take care x

• Like 2

Well, I got my band on monday! Feeling pretty good, quite a bit of shoulder pain still but only general discomfort on my port site. Having juice and thin soups and finding that really satisfying :0)

• Like 2

Congrats slimtamsoon on the great weight loss! Glad to hear all is going well with u and ur Mum :)

I have been doing well but caught a cold a couple of days ago and it was a bit of a set back for me as i had to keep going to work and takecare of my 2 little kids lol but i am getting much better now and feeling more like normal as days go by. I did struggle with constipation as well and happy to say I finally did it for the first time since surgery today sorry if too much details hehe

I still get full quickly although I don't have any fill in my band! It might be my swollen stomach or its all in my mind haha

I have lost another 2 kg this week as well and very happy with that and really hoping I can keep going like that, I think it might become a bit harder to keep it up now as I started pureed food today and i am scared of myself to not stay away from bad sweet stuff :P

Anyway i hope everyone is doing well and still miss you Angel butterfly ;)

Welcome minxyprudence! It will get even better as days go by! Good luck with ur journey and keep coming here for support it is an amazing place to share this great experience with such great people :)

• Like 2

I'm home after surgery yesterday morning.

Today I'm feeling very sore and the gas I would say is the worst part! I'm finding its best to sit up.

I'm drinking lots of water and have managed 1/2 an optifast for breakfast and half for lunch.

How is everyone else going?

Renee27 I won't lied for me it was more painful than I expected. The pain for me is the gas more than anything.

I'm day 3 post op and do feel a lot better.

I actually slept for 4hours at a time last night

Hi Renee 

I was banded 2 weeks ago and I felt way better than I expected. I only used panadol for the discomfort in my stomach but I did need hot packs and hot showers for my shoulder pain. I found being up and about as quickly as I could and to walk around between naps really helped with the gas pain. I had to sleep propped up for a few days and had a rolled up towel under my knees as well helped as I get a sore back very easily. I have lost almost 9 kgs in two weeks. I haven't regretted this decision for one moment (well actually about 5 minutes before I went under as they were wheeling me down the hallway to the theatre I thought about bolting,lol)

• Like 1

Hi that's really good , 9 kilos wow !!

I've had no shoulder pain just stomach pain. I'm starting to burp a lot. Can I ask , do you get Hic ups after drinking at All and what sorts of liquids did you have over the 2 weeks ? I made soups but really not feeling like them . Thanks 😄

Hi everybody,

I had my band done on Wednesday, 16th September (in Hobart).  The first night I must admit I was asking myself 'what the hell have I done?' as I had a lot of trouble with nausea.  I ended up with very sore stomach muscles because of it, and had a few episodes once I got home but thankfully all that has settled down now.

I must say for the first three or four days I was not even hungry, and am dealing ok with the fluid phase but getting to the point that I cannot wait to eat something that I can actually bite into...LOL  Have 7 more days until I start mushies and I can tell you I am counting down the days.  The order is in for either some scrambled eggs or spaghetti bolognaise.

I am lucky in that my issue has never been portion control, but rather a metabolism slowed down to practically nothing due to medications and unable to exercise due to bad knees etc. It is more "what I eat and when eat it".  I was swimming for a while, which was great, as it did not cause issues with my knees, but my skin decided it did not like pools with a salt water/chlorine mix - I would come out in a terrible red rash that covered most of my body and itched like hell (itching resulted in me getting some skin infections) - putting an abrupt end to the swimming as most of the small pools are salt/chlorine.  I was at the stage that I was almost yelling to the universe 'really, this too' but thought it was tempting fate and realised there a people out there with it a lot worse than me - but when it's really bad it is all relative isn't it.

I don't seem to have problems with a straight chlorine pool - but they are mostly big pools with lots of people and I am too self-conscious at the moment - silly I know - to put myself in that position.

So, of course that makes me want some comfort food - no exercise means the food I eat (even the healthy stuff) goes straight to fat stores, which puts extra weight onto my knees, which makes me upset and depressed and want more comfort food - and so the vicious circle goes round and around.

I need knee replacements but my Orthopedic surgeon will not even consider it until I lose at least 30 kgs - so the decision to have my WLS.

My, I have rambled on.  Sorry!  :unsure:  

cheers,

Tracey

• Like 1

Hi everyone, it's been a while since I checked in as I have been a bit busy with kids work colds and recovering from surgery :)

I am 100% myself again now and don't feel any pain just do feel the port in there but nothing hurts at all..its been 4 weeks now since surgery for me, till 4 days ago I lost 8 kg since surgery but since I started puree and mashed food I have gained back 2 kg and now I found out that I can eat anything and everything in any quantity without any problems..just a slight discomfort in my chest if I swallow too fast! I know I have no fill in my band but I am scared of myself now as I have the ability to gain back all 8 kg plus some in a few days :(

I am surprised at how I feel and the fact that I can eat anything! I thought even without fill it shouldn't be this easy!! Anyway hopefully after the fill it will be different..

I get my first fill in about 2 weeks and I am thinking to call in and try to get in earlier rather than all my weight loss goes in vein. Anyway I hope everyone is doing great well!

Cheers

• Like 2

lovely to hear from you sxa, keep up your fantastic work!

• Like 1

Thank you Zendaya :)

it's been a bit since I checked in..I am happy I did though as it's is great to have you guys to talk to xo

• Like 1

So I managed to get an appointment today and went for my first fill :)

I gained back 3.5 kg from the 8 I lost since Optifast which is sad but ok as I stopped the weight gain in its tracks now..I had 4.5 ml in my band today and I am on liquids for 2 days. I feel good that I took the action and looking forward for results :)

I hope everyone is doing well and I will let u guys know how I go xx

• Like 3

great news mate!  well done!

• Like 1

Hi all! I'm new here and was banded last Friday (26th). So happy to see you are all doing well on your bands so far. I've gotta say, not feeling much love for the band as opposed to the sleeve in another forum I follow so I'm happy to stumble across you guys. So far so good in my journey. I'm down 6.2 kgs since starting Optifast so very happy about that! Only another 25kgs to go until goal weight - haha! How is everyone going with pain? I can't seem to shake the shoulder tip pain. Any advice?

• Like 2

hey sxa, how are you feeling today mate? better I hope.  Dream big honey x

• Like 1

Welcome Smallbandit. I was banded three weeks ago and shoulder pain is finally easing. Heat packs are good and I found degas tablets ease it too. Getting up and moving around and doing a few Burbs seem To relieve it too. It does get easier tho. I get my first fill next week which will be good as I feel I'm at a stand still and starting to feel hungry. Apart from that and a little tenderness at port site I feeling very good. All the best with your Banding journey.

Hi SXA. how'd the fill go? Hope

It's Going well? I get my first fill next Friday. Love to know how it is. Thanks.

• Like 1