thunderthighsnomore

Healthy (besides being obese)

I don't mean to brag or sound like a prat, but was anyone else relatively healthy before surgery (besides being overweight or obese, of course).

For me, I feel very fortunate to have no existing conditions like say high blood pressure or diabetes, which both of my parents have.

Of course, I know that if I continued the way I was before making the decision to change my life and get a gastric sleeve, I may not be so lucky.

Do you think it comes down to a good childhood eating habits, genetics, or just plain dumb luck?

What are everyone else's thoughts?

• Like 1

I'm a big believer in the idea that you can be fat and healthy. I do believe this comes to an end at some stage, when the bad aspects of obesity kick in. Obviously obesity is a risk factor in many diseases, and even quite a few cancers. I work with mostly slim/skinny people, and I can tell you they're not necessarily healthy, just because they're slim. I think being 10 - 20 kgs overweight isn't the end of the world, but morbid obesity will kill you eventually.

• Like 2

I was morbidly obese, but didn't have any health problems at all.

I grew up with parents that cooked in loads of fat or lard. I didn't eat any vegetables beside potato. And no salad. I just plain refused to eat it. So my diet was potato and meat. And breads and such. I wasn't a fat child I was on the larger side of healthy weight. And I had my gall bladder removed at 17 which is an early age. But I was lucky not to have any health risks. Since surgery, my doc (new GP as my other one left) has been doing blood tests every 6 months, he did tell me that my insulin resistance was really high, which could have been the case before surgery and not checked. I have had a few problems since surgery with vitamin levels but I knew it was a possibility beforehand. I wanted to get my weight down before health issues started.

At 170kg I was remarkably healthy but, like you, I knew I was a time bomb just waiting to go off.

My blood pressure was around 130/90 ... but I have my doubts that this was an accurate measurement because they never used the proper sized cuff on me, which results in an elevated reading. (I know the cuff was too small because it hurt like hell and I sometimes even ended up with bruises.) My blood pressure now is around 120/80 ... AKA perfect.

My blood sugars have dropped from 5.4 (pre diabetic I imagine) to a much healthier 4.7 at my last blood test. My cholesterol dropped from an already healthy 4.9 to 4.2. My iron levels are still consistently low.

I didn't have sleep apnoea.

I've been able to stop taking pariet which was a really big deal for me and lost enough weight to be able to go back onto the contraceptive pill. (To make my periods play nice.)

I was hoping with everything I had that losing weight would improve or maybe even cure my fibromyalgia. No such luck there. I was also hoping to be able to give up taking fluid tablets but I still need them, even if only half a tablet a day.

I was also hoping that losing weight would improve my back/neck/shoulder pain but the more weight I've lost the worse it's become. 

The biggest difference I've noticed in my health is more in relation to my fitness and strength which is better than it's ever been in my life.

My GP laughs at me cause I bitch that I want my cholesterol and blood sugars to be lower. She says my readings are better than hers and I have nothing to worry about. I tell her my family is full of heart disease and diabetes and I've worked like a beast to improve my health and I want it to be perfect. Damnit ! lol

• Like 1

Actually I was relatively healthy prior to the sleeve also (except for my feet aching with the excess weight & that only happened in the last 5 kgs).  All my bloods came back normal.  BUT ... my family members have obesity related conditions such as diabetes, blood pressure problems, heart issues and most recently one had a stroke.  Given that history I knew I was a "walking time bomb".  You could say my sleeve was mostly for "preventative reasons" as well as to help with current obesity.

• Like 2

Pre banding... Over 110kg, a doctor once told me I had the blood pressure of a 16yr old...I was in my late 40's at the time.

I had no health issues at all and rarely had or have a sick day....touch wood.

I was fine, although had some knee issues, but my biggest factor, and one which helped me decide to take the surgical route, was I have diabetes on both sides on my family, so I was staring down the gun. Just a matter of time before I joined the club and I refused to do that. 

I'd had a few health checks and they all said I would most likely to be fine, cause I did heaps of exercise, but I wasn't taking that gamble.

Wish my frikkin sister would see it that way too, she's now the one at risk.

• Like 1

Actually I was relatively healthy prior to the sleeve also (except for my feet aching with the excess weight & that only happened in the last 5 kgs).  All my bloods came back normal.  BUT ... my family members have obesity related conditions such as diabetes, blood pressure problems, heart issues and most recently one had a stroke.  Given that history I knew I was a "walking time bomb".  You could say my sleeve was mostly for "preventative reasons" as well as to help with current obesity.

I have the same family history as Brisbanenowsleeved - My family are ALL obese to varying levels. And all have Diabetes, Blood Pressure issues, Heart Attacks are common, as are strokes. I didn't want to go down the same road as them, 

My health has been fine - Other than Osteoarthritis in my AC Joint and Depression. My blood pressure is, and continues to be fairly low (and caused the nurses some concern in hospital :-p) usually sitting around 75/45. BGL 4-5

I was like all of you I was healthy no issues. back pain from an old injury got worse as I got bigger, I have a heart condition since I was 2yrs old and had open heart surgery at 35 so after loosing 25kg then putting it back on that and my family was my main reason for the surgery as I need another heart op down the track but the healthier I am the longer that will b plus I was just so uncomfortable in my own skin. but no blood pressure issues or diabetes etc.