ZenCat

Gluten free alternative to optifast

It seems that optifast isn't gluten free. My question is twofold; why is optifast the preferred brand in this industry, and will going with another brand be less effective? I believe some of the tony ferguson shakes are gfree, but are they all inferior to optifast or something?

Really?

This is what my info, provided by the clinic says...

"The Optifast® VLCD™ Milkshakes, (Chocolate, Vanilla, Strawberry and Coffee)

and the Chocolate Dessert are gluten free.

The Chocolate, Cappuccino and Berry Crunch Bars, the Chicken and Mixed

Vegetable Soups, and the Caramel and Banana shakes all do contain gluten."

However, I just checked the ingredients listed on each product via their website,

which lists Milk and Soy in the Chocolate shake only, but no wheat or gluten.

BUT all the other shakes contain wheat. What crap!!

Luckily I've only ever bought chocolate. Thanks for the info!

http://www.optifast.com.au/Products

The optifast website says it's gluten free, but the ingredients list from an online chemist lists hydrolysed wheat protein in all of them. This protein is very over processed but not enough to officially declare it gfree. If I'm drinking them 3 times a day then I'll be sick by the end of day one!

Would anyone mind reading your actual packs to see if wheat protein is included? I'm hoping its a data entry error by the chemist website!

Ok, I've just checked the vanilla on the website, and it seems to only have wheat glucose syrup - which ends up gluten free by the time processing is finished (which in itself is alarming!).

...hopefully I've jumped the gun here! I'll check the other flavours. Fingers crossed for coffee! Lol

I understand that wheat glucose syrup, whilst a wheat product, does not contain the gluten protein - it has been processed out. But do check with the Coeliac Association for clarification.

• Like 1

I've just done a Google search on wheat glucose syrup and the American Coeliac webpage advises that wheat glucose syrup and maltodextrin is safe for coeliacs

My dietician said I could have Optifast or Optislim as they'd been tested and proven to be nutritionally suitable. I went with the Optifast because it seemed to have a better rap by most people here. I'm not gluten intolerant though. I've read of others here (can't remember who) who've been unable to do optifast and followed a different diet for the pr-op period that was given to them by a dietician. I imagine it would have been low/no carbs/sugars and high in protein with very strict guidelines ... ie. small amount of good fats, small serve of fruit, heaps of non-starchy veges, x grams of lean protein like chicken or fish and absolutely no bread, rice, pasta etc. Not that you'd have those anyway. If the Optifast isn't going to be suitable and there's no other meal replacement programs available I'm sure a dietician can work out a meal plan for you.

• Like 2

tishtish - it was probably me :) lactose intolerance is a bitch!

I did a VLCD given to me by my dietician and (if I remember right) it was per day:

240 grams of protein

2 serves of fruit

1 serve of dairy

2 serves of carbs

2 cups minimum of non-starchy veges.

Each clinic is likely to have their own version/preference so always, always check with your clinic.

• Like 1