irish123

Protein Powder

Hi Fellow Bandits ,I was wondering where is a good place to buy a good Protein powder. In Perth which is high in Protein and low in Carbs . 😊😀😊😀

A lot of WA sleevers on another forum recommend Boomers Protein Powder. I haven't tried it, no idea what it is like.

I tried No Bull Supplements but it was gag-worthy.

If you can, I would go into a Supplement Mart store to find the one you want (and get all the advice), and then buy online at suppsrus.com.au

Thanks Guys , went into a health food shop and bought Boomers whey , shop assistant had a very strong opinion about lapband and wasn't very nice , so don't wanna go there again to be honest , wouldn't give her my hard earned cash lol . Will shop around :-)

I use Boomers, there's no additives, has little taste and I use fresh fruit to give my smoothies flavour.

Yeah that's the 1 I have Belsie , think I'll stick to that 1 . I was just wondering what Protein Powder everyone is taking . I put some fresh fruit in mine and mix it with milk as I don't have a big Dairy intake . ( Dieticians words) . I bought the NutriBullet love it :-).

I don't use protein powder. I read about so many using it, but I've never even thought of it. I recall my Dietitian saying it's just not needed and not to bother, but if this is the case, why would so many have it and recommend it? (with the exception of course that "we are all different).

I've read about the hair loss and I know about the goodness of protein in general in our meal plans. Are alot of people really taking powders every day?

• Like 1

Do you have Woolworths Supermarkets there? (I've never been) Try Body For Women Shaping Protein Powder, they sell it here at Woollies so could possibly get it in for you. It's about $25, low in sugar and carbs, high in protein. I use the chocolate and usually add a banana and I have it with milk rather than water, as it tastes MUCH nicer! I'm having trouble with solid food in the mornings so this does me well. With water, one serve is 389 kj, so adding milk and a banana still makes it a viable alternative to food. They also do coffee, vanilla, strawberry. Mum uses the coffee and adds a teaspoon of instant coffee dissolved in a little hot water to hers to give it a bit more oomph. If you want to look the product up, it's bodyscience.com.au. They might have a list of stockists. If Woollies says you have to buy a box, get back to me and I'll post you a sample taste of the chocolate  and coffee ones if you like. I can also post some from here to you, but the postage would be around the $15 mark (500grams to 22 kgs is all the same price, from memory, so you may as well buy a few!)

Thanks Rumplebear, but lost people have been using the Boomer Protein powder , so might just stick to it . Yeah I'm the same can't eat anything 1st thing in the morning , I have to wait a few hrs . Thx for the Reply :-)

• Like 1

Angel Butterfly... we need protein with just about every meal we eat...if banded or sleeved etc. Not sure why your dietitian would say not to use it. Perhaps you are getting enough protein without the supplement. I know when I use my powder I feel fuller for longer. and I don't crave between meals as much.

Yes we are all very different...but all want the same result :-)

• Like 1

I don't use protein powder. I read about so many using it, but I've never even thought of it. I recall my Dietitian saying it's just not needed and not to bother, but if this is the case, why would so many have it and recommend it? (with the exception of course that "we are all different).

I've read about the hair loss and I know about the goodness of protein in general in our meal plans. Are alot of people really taking powders every day?

You would only need protein powder if you can't eat enough during the day. I use it sometimes as I make low calorie "milk shake" using 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup low fat milk, frozen strawberries, 1 tbs natural whey protein, sugar free strawberry syrup, vanilla extra, pinch of salt and extra splenda. Delicious and hardly any calories compared to a regular milk shake. But, I never regularly used it while losing weight as I can still eat meats at lunch and/or dinner and I try to save my calories from earlier in the day by having little to eat in the morning besides coffee and a small amount of fruit.

• Like 1

Belsie and missy

I believe my dietician thinks I am getting enough protein. I have no problem eating anything from eggs to tuna to fish fillets to broccoli. After doing a food diary for her last consult, I was only lacking fruit (I've always steered clear of fruit due to my diabetes and the natural sugar component wrecks my BSL) and she wanted me to increase my grain portions. But due to my other gastrointestinal issues (missy we talked about them once before eg. SIBO and the FODMAPS) I tend to steer away from most fibres. But in saying that, since losing the weight I have thus far, alot of my tummy issues have subsided and now having some grain products have been fine eg. Vita-weat Sesame & Poppy Seed Crackers, Helgas Lower Carb Soy and Linseed Bread (1 toast for breakfast). 

Missy your shake sounds delicious and I'd be happy to knock that up once a week for a more concentrated protein dose. 

Belsie I don't feel hungry during the day, behaviour tells me I am hungry to snack. So it's the head monster I need to tackle and 100 protein foods won't (sadly) kill off that bastard lol

Thanks ladies x

• Like 1

I did a long search for a good protein powder which has low carbohydrates and with low amounts of artificial sweeteners.

The best powder that I have found for a LCHF diet is Donna Aston Protein Supreme. I use the vanilla one in baking and the chocolate one for when I feel like a treat. It has 0.3g of carbs per serving and tastes better than any other protein powders that I have tried. It is also available online for delivery, which should help no matter where you live in Australia.

• Like 1

I just went to the fruit store and bought some punnets of strawberries (under $2 each at the moment) and bananas. I've chopped them up and put them in zip lock bags in the freezer. Can't wait for them to be frozen so I can make a protein shake for dinner with some in there. Also bought watermelon which I've been eating heaps of latey. I wonder if you can freeze watermelon chunks and blend them up in a blender once frozen. Will google. 

• Like 1

Frozen bananas n strawberries seriously? damn, good idea. No clue about watermelon, but it's like 90% water, I bet it freezes quick lol. It might defrost to mush though at a guess?

• Like 1

Google says watermelon goes to mush if you freeze and unfreeze but seems to be ok to freeze and blend...will try a small amount and see how it goes...or perhaps fresh watermelon blended with some ice will work.

Tonight's protein shake, which I am having instead of having an ice-cream sundae from a chocolate cafe which I was having cravings for....blended 1/2 frozen banana (cut into small pieces before freezing), 1/2 cup low fat milk, 1/2 cup water, 2 tbs natural whey protein, 1 tbs splenda, 1 tsp salt (really makes it more delicious somehow), 1/2 tsp vanilla, 1 tbs sugar free caramel syrup and 2 tbs sugar free coconut syrup. OMG delicious. Some much healthier and lower in calories than what my head was telling me to eat. The sugar free syrup brands are Torani and DaVinci which I buy online for use in coffee and shakes with zero sugar or calories. No cheap, but they are delicious. I can't eat most flavoured protein powders because I have sensitive stomach and instead use natural whey and add flavourings which I know are safe.

• Like 1

Nice missy! And good for you resisting the chocolate cafe! 

I'm writing all this down. Salt makes most things more delicious lol and btw, you had me at caramel syrup  ;) 

• Like 1

I use sugar free caramel or hazelnut syrup in my coffees. Like at the cafe only no sugar!

Oh and if anyone is wanting protein bars, I discovered Quest protein bars the other week. Most delicious protein bar I have ever tried. I've tried about 5 flavours so far. They are so good, like eating cookie dough for all different types of cookies. I first bought one randomly at a cafe and then bought a whole heap online as it's much cheaper. I've been having one in the afternoon as my treat. They're 150 to 200 calories each with around 20g protein and hardly any carbs as they're sweetened with splenda (which is great news as splenda is fine for my sensitive stomach unlike most of the others that are sweetened with sugar alcohols like maltitol or sorbitol).

• Like 4

Missy-belle where did u buy the protein bars from in WA?. I put fruit and Milk in my Protein shake aswell I use calcium plus soy milk .

Missy-belle where did u buy the protein bars from in WA?. I put fruit and Milk in my Protein shake aswell I use calcium plus soy milk .

Watermelon frozen in lovely little triangles make for the best icy-poles! Keep the peel on and eat :)

• Like 1

I usually have a protein shake after a hard workout - I find it helps me recover faster. My DOMS isn't anywhere near as painful if I have a low card/high protein drink afterwards.

• Like 1