Sign in to follow this  
nb79

Band removal recovery

For those of you have had the band removed can you tell me is it painful? And what was your recovery like? Did you need much time off work?

Hi nb79

fir me, band removal was WAY better and less painful/uncomfortable that band implanting. I was each soft food/sandwiches a few hours afterwards. I ate soft food for around 2 weeks and then went on to normal food after that. I just played it by ear and if food hurt, then I didn't continue eating it.

I had 2 weeks off work, 6 weeks off from heavy lifting - as you would expect from any abdominal surgery.

Compared to the band going in, band removal was a pretty good experience.

The only issue that I had was that the band made the top of my stomach lazy so when it was removed, I had terrible acid reflux and had to be careful bending over after eating and drinking because the contents of my stomach literally fell out! that didn't last long though - around 6 weeks?

• Like 1

Thanks kazbo :-)

Now that your sleeved to you find your reflux is better?

silent reflux is a bitch and is persistent. I'm still mucking about with medications and that...I see the surgeon next week for my regular 3 monthly check in so I will talk to him about it more indepth. I was told/warned that ex-bandits can experience chronic reflux. looks like I'm one of the lucky ones! I haven't exhausted all my reflux treatment options yet so I remain hopeful that it can be treated effectively :)

Sorry to hear your reflux is still ongoing.... That's one of the reasons I'm looking at removing the band and going with the sleeve. Tight band = reflux, looser band and I have no reflux but I can't loose weight.

This is the second time I've looked at converting to the sleeve, fingers crossed I don't chicken out this time :-)

you should bear in mind that you might not get a sleeve, you might need/get a bypass if reflux is a problem for you now.

Band removal was the easiest operation I have had! I had it removed on a Thursday afternoon, discharged Friday morning and back at work on Monday. There was obviously pain from incisions and no heavy lifting but other than that, it was simple :) I only worked a desk job though. Also, I was liquids for the first night then soft foods for the next day and normal when I felt I could handle it :) 

• Like 2

Mine was a walk in the park too  :D

From band out to sleeve being done was about 6 months, reflux came back with a vengeance.   Then after my sleeve, I get reflux every so often but I do have tablets but I don't take them every day. Why take something when you don't need it.

Good luck with your journey too ;)

• Like 2

Band removed was easy and I have been sleeved 3 weeks ago and couldn't feel better

• Like 1

My band was removed 3 weeks ago, it was liquids for 3 days and then soft foods for the remainder of the week. Much less painful than having it inserted and I was OK after 2 days so office work would be no problem.

I also had part of the stomach removed in preparation for sleeve surgery in 3 weeks time and this caused some issues with bending or sneezing (hate hayfever season) so this was only issues.

I also suffered from bad reflux but since band removed all is good, will see what happens when the sleeve is done......

• Like 1

update...I am now on Nexium, 40mg 2 x daily at (fingers crossed) it seems to be doing the trick!

• Like 1

I had my band removed 3 weeks ago, it was a lot less painful than having it in and I had 1week off work because my job is physical but recovery was easy.

kazbo I was prescribed Nexium from day 1 after banding and it really did the trick for my reflux (until my band slipped) so I hope it does the job for you.

• Like 2

Helen - for me and in short, I could never seem to find the right spot with my band, it was either too loose or too tight. I had adjustments every 6-8 weeks over 3 years. My band was unpredictable at best...some days I could eat anything really and other days I was flat out trying to sip water. I never knew what awaited me that day until I tried to eat. It was frustrating, disappointing, annoying and for me, a real pigs arse!

I got my band removed with the view of getting a sleeve. I was fortunate enough to be a good candidate for a sleeve, although I may have needed to go for a bypass.

Life with the sleeve is different and not without it's own challenges. It is far less forgiving than the band and it requires(for me at least) far greater discipline with regards to nutritional choices. It is much more reliable - it is what it is, I holds around 3/4-1 cup of food MAX and I stay full for several hours with the sleeve. My appetite is satisfied far sooner and satiety lasts far longer with the sleeve than with the band.

Many people say "oh, a band is reversible, so what?" to which I say "a band is REMOVABLE but it does leave a mark on the body". Most bandits have scarring on their stomach of some degree caused by the band sitting around the stomach. Sometimes this scarring will mean that sleeving is not possible, the scarring is too thick and too hard to staple or cut through.

Anyway, I'm rambling on. Hope this provides an answer to your question (from one person's perspective at least)