Sign in to follow this  
Jwelcome90

Having some trouble

Hello, 

I was banded in June 2014 and recently had my second fill. At my first fill my doctor added 2ml and on the 2nd of october he added 1.8 taking my band to 5.3 ml as some was added during surgery. 

I finally feel like I have a band as I am extremely restricted as to when and what I can eat but I am really unsure of what is considered "normal" for the band. since my second fill I cannot eat solids, if I do I get this really bad pain in my chest, strange noises and what feels like a air bubble going up from my stomach to my throat. I can very rarley eat something solid but 99.9% of the time it ends in me having to make myself throw up. I have no issues with fluids tho I can have soup,yoghurt, upandgo etc but nothing solid. 

Is my band 2 tight or is this how the band works in order to loose the weight.

I started at 94kg before surgery and currently sitting on 83.5kg-84, it weird tho because since my first fill I have sat steady on 84kg and since the second fill even tho I am eating practically nothing I have only lost a very little amount of weight. 

Anyone with some input of the would be great.

Thank you in advanced.

Cheers 

Hi 

I was banded on the 4/8 and I have had 3 fills, but only a ml at a time.. I feel pretty good with it, I can eat most things. If I overeat I get shoulder and abdo pain.

Is your doctor a bit aggressive with the fills?

I was 99kg and now 85 in 10 weeks and it has been fairly easy apart from the first few weeks. 

Are you  getting the right dietary advice? 

Are you having too many carbs in the form of liquids?

cheers

Angela

Are you having very small bites and chewing very well? That's what my band is like in the mornings, I can manage yoghurt but nothing thicker. Some days I have tight days as well, lasting all day. Try a liquid breakfast, and then a more solid lunch and see how you go. Bite, chew, wait 30 seconds and go again. Tiresome, but necessary! I would go back to your clinic and get some fill taken out if it's all day, everyday.

• Like 1

It defiantly sounds like your band is too tight. Not being able to eat solid food is not good. Make an appointment to see your dr and see about getting some til out. Sometimes even the smallest about out/in makes a huge difference to what you can eat

• Like 2

I had the same thing happen after my second fill.  I was sitting on 4ml after the first fill and then had 1.5ml in on the second one.  I couldn't eat or drink and ended up in hospital overnight with dehydration and on a drip.  At the hospital they took out 2.5ml so that I could recover.  Went back to see the surgeon a week later and he put back 2ml which took me back up to 5ml.  Turns out that extra 0.5ml was just a step too far, but I was absolutely fine with 5ml in my band.

I would recommend definitely talking to your surgeon, I wouldn't want anyone else going through the experience I had.

Try liquids for a few days and see if it settles down, if not get some fill taken out, half a ml to 1 ml at a time, cos the smallest amount can make a big difference! You don't want to take too much out and then be able to eat the whole supermarket!

My Doctor is very conservative with fills and I am not yet into the green zone (12 months since banding). I get a bit frustrated by this, but I really appreciate that she does not want me to suffer from being over filled. I am currently getting fills at .1 of a ml which she does with a diabetes needle. Maybe slow and steady wins the race?

Sailorgirl

This may be a little controversial - but sometimes if I've eaten too quick I will get a little bit of pain/discomfort as the food goes down - but I don't always PB it up - it usually passes within 5-10mins.

When something is really stuck, for me, the feeling is *instant* - producing excess saliva, out of this world pain - and then I know I need to make a trip to the loo.

Could it be that your stomach is inflamed because you have been pre-emptively throwing up?

As nermbat said, perhaps try just protein based liquids for a few days - don't attempt any solids - and then similar to the post-op diet, introduce mushies (mashed sweet potato and pumpkin, chunky soups), and then go onto solid foods?