Hi All

I am booked in for my surg on 17 Nov, but my sugegon said he does not need me to see a dietician, is this normal? and should I look for one on my one through a GP referral? he did say he can do me a referral though ..... I thought you had to see one and have councelling but apparently not through mine. Ta

I wasn't even aware that a psychological assessment was required before WLS was approved! My surgeon didn't go down that path with me at all. As for the dietitian, I was offered two free sessions as part of my surgery 'package', but only ended up going once. It was a huge hike to get to the dietician's rooms, and I felt as though I could get all the information I needed from books. I really didn't learn anything new at the first session, so I didn't bother going back for no.2. But obviously there are people who gain great benefit from going to regular sessions.

I'm not sure if everyone gets the full gamut of professional support, it may depend on your surgeon's perception of you or perhaps just the process which occurs at that practice.

I wasn't required to have any psychological assessment prior to surgery.  I did have to see a dietician for 1 appointment before surgery and  another appointment after surgery.  I am also booked in to see them again in December as I am getting much closer to goal weight.  I have made this appointment off my own back so that I can get some advice on maintaining my weight loss into the future.

no dietician? really? how do you know what your recommended food/stages are?

I had to see the dietician pre-op, psychologist was not required but I was seeing one anyway so asked for a recommendation which I got. I still see the psychologist but that is my preference.

• Like 1

I never saw anyone except for my surgeon. Think I was handed a leaflet detailing post-op diet stages.

• Like 2

My surgeon has two dietitians on staff. In the fee you pay him ($6000) it includes 12 months of unlimited appointments with the dietitians which I do appreciate. It keeps me honest and on track weighing in every two weeks. They also give me a receipt every time to claim on my PHI but their help has been invaluable not just with my food but how they share their experiences with other patients

• Like 3

My surgeon recommended my dietitian and I put my success :)  down to her guidance and probably the best $600 ever spent.

All my meal plans and stages for the first 6 months were set out for my body size and at each visit they would take my measurements and weight.

I'll have to give her a call and see about getting my measurements and do a comparison :D .

• Like 1

I saw a dietitian and an exercise physiologist and a bariactic assessor, as well as my surgeon (who I only saw once before my surgery) a psychological assessment wasn't even mentioned, but now that I'm home after my surgery, I'm going to see if I can organise an appointment with a psychologist or councillor, just for my own piece of mind, because I don't have any support where I am. :)

• Like 3

Hi zendaya

I was totally surprised when my clinic said only a dietitian appointment after surgery. I thought there would be at least one before!! Thank goodness for all of the reading we have done!

Mel

• Like 1

I reckon mel! hey I replied to you the other day chookie, maybe you didn't get it? iam so not computer sazzy... man, hope it didn't go into cyber space as it was rather long winded! lol

I got a new book in the mail today you suggested, think its by Helen ? its upstairs and im too lazy to go grab it,

uhmm very interesting! I am thinking of seeing my gp next week to get my own local referral to see one a few times pre & post op just to help me plan out my menu etc. for first few weeks. Although that said, I have oodles of great books with 2100's of reciepes, and I am pretty sure what I can have and can not have the first few weeks. Ahh I dunno decisions deciions!

no dietician? really? how do you know what your recommended food/stages are?

I think we have to work it out ourselves kazbo!?

i have drawn up my schedule myself with dates etc and menu plans and put on my fridge, but I am far from an expert, it will be simple and very boring that's for sure!

My dietician gave me sheets outlining each stage when I made it to that stage, I can email them to you if you wanted a look zendaya

oh jelly i would LOVE that and truly appreciate it mate... i will message you my home email address now! Thanks again! :-)

im off to gp to get an enhanced care plan this arvie so I can see a private dietitian for 5 visits I think subidised a bit by medicare... found a lovely local dietitian so that's good, feel better now, be good to have a "plan in place" meal wise post op for a few weeks!