leese_88

DR CHan - Mary Vale Private ( Taralgon)

Hi everyone,

I would like to ask anyone who had an operation with Dr Chan a few things.
Firstly I am not having this message to slander him or be nasty. I am honestly unsatisfied and feeling unsupported.

Initially When I had my first consultation with my mum, he felt my mums stomach asked a lot of medical questions and checked her liver.

When it was my turn, he weight me and said I can do it 22/09/14. - That was it.

I had an appointment with the nurse at their clinic and this was the most information I was actually provided.

My operation was done and I did the 2 weeks opti fast.

This week I went in for my first fill. I was given no information and asked the following:
How much Fill are you putting in? ( 1 ml)
My weight loss of 12.2kgs in 5 weeks is this as you expected? ( answer: yeah its ok)
How was the operation any issues and was the liver very fatty or healthy. ( Answer - it was fine)
How many calories should I eat? ( Answer - what ever we don't count calories.)

I also found out that at the time of the appointment he had put in 3mls - I never knew or was told. I just kept asking and stumbled across this information in conversation.

Never the less I am feeling very unsupported and feeling that I am just a number to Mr Chan.  I am considering paying more and changing clinics to get better support and Service.

I have tried to call the Clinic as I would like and idea of the cost of my appointment on Tuesday and what I would get back. ( their phone keeps ringing out)

What was your experience ?

I live in Pakenham Victoria and Work in Dandenong Victoria ( Any suggesting of a new doctor would be great too)
( I just called a place in Berwick who seemed lovely)

HMMM So finally got hold of them.

Appointments are all bulk billed as a part of the Non gap payment at the start.

Hi Leese

I was banded by Dr Chan and because I felt so comfortable with him went back to him to have my gallbladder done.

I live in Seaford and have been more than happy to travel 1.5 hours each way. Mary Vale Hospital amazing, I did it alone with noone to drive me. I would do it again.

By the way the "nurse" at the clinic is Lee his wife ( Lee was very informative) I get the feeling you don't ask all the questions. I have had many ops and not all Medicals communicate as we would like and so it is up to you to elicit the information  required.

With both my operations with him..hardly any scars and no brusing.  This speaks volumes about the respect he showed me. I communicated this to Dr Chan and Lee.

He was a bit cat and mouse about how much fill first up but I realize he prefers it this way to start.

You know in this life we a number ..and I believe your own attitude and communication can make all the difference.

I did enquire about getting fills closer to home and you need to check out the requirements.  I would have had to have tests and a barrium swallow to change Doctors and costly.

By The Way I am not the easiest of patients.  I am having my right hip replaced next week and have given the surgeon a really hard time. So you see for me to get all the answers I wanted I had to push it really hard and forgive his so called bed side manner.

All the best with your journey. Lee give the best fills.  Quickly and efficiently this is a bonus.

Cheers

Josie

• Like 2

I saw him about 18 months ago and don't like him.... but that's my opinion only.

Found a new surgeon that I trust and like

If the place you called in Berwick you called was with Dr. Zeev, you will be very happy!

He's my surgeon, he likes to ask questions and loves answering them, he doesn't rush you and he genuinely cares. He would have been stoked to hear the amount of weight you lost in that time!

Dr Chan is my doctor and I got banded in March,

I do feel very rushed - I wait three times longer than what I see him for.

I also find the reception staff incredibly rude! It also sucks that if you need an appointment your looking at a minimum 3 week wait time and sometimes you NEED to see them.

Dr Chan will answer my questions but I have to ask them (he dosnt volunteer information) and I find they are always very short answers.

I am only about 3kg lighter from my surgery date so that's pretty upsetting and his latest thing is to constantly tell me that less fill is better and I need to learn to deal with my hunger..... If I could deal with my hunger tho would I need surgery for being obese? NO!!!!

Lee is much nicer and asks more questions but also rushes me a lot and dosnt give me any useful advice.

Just a question to those who had there band at Maryvale...... Did you have to have a barium swallow the day after surgery and was not allowed anything until after it?

Dr Chan is my doctor and I got banded in March,

I do feel very rushed - I wait three times longer than what I see him for.

I also find the reception staff incredibly rude! 

These staff are hospital staff not Dr Chans.

Mumma Poss..No I dont think a barium is normal.

Cheers

Jody

I'm talking about the reception staff at the clinic in Traralgon not the hospital. Either way they are very rude.

I never had a barium swallow or saw a dietitian or physcologist. Had a pre op blood test a week before and that was it.

No optifast either.

Thanks ladies I was originally banded in Sept 2005 at LRH (public) and had to be NIL by mouth from night before surgery until day after surgery and was not allowed anything until after barium swallow late on the day I was released. Felt so ill and then was able to go home.

Worse part of that surgery was the barium swallow and the shoulder tip pains for a week plus after.

Removal was ok but had that horrible shoulder tip pains again but knew how to handle them better. :-)

Has it been an on going thing of his staff being rude or once off?

I have to do 2 week of optifast :-( but will also be good in some ways. It really depends on your surgeon and weight I think. Me being very large.

I saw a dietition first time but no pschcologist.  No dietition this time, but that could be because I have had a band before, not sure. 

Josie I am pleased to see you are doing well, how much have you lost?

After surgery at Maryvale were you all just on clear fluids that day and then onto fluids from that of any kind as long as it passed through a straw?

Thank you for all the information!
I am sticking with him and will see how I go !