leese_88

Victoria Tummy Tuck for extreme weight loss Bulk Billed?

Hi everyone!
I am asking this question for a friend of mine who has lost over 35kgs and maintained the weight for a year or so.

She is currently suffering uncomfortableness from the excess skin.

She does not have PHI and can not afford to pay for a tummy tuck outright.

Can anyone shed some light on tummy tucks that are bulk billed even if these do exist ?

I would believe there would be a long long waiting list but its worth looking into for future quality of life for this amazing women!

Thank you

Haven't heard of anyone in Australia getting a bulk billed / no gap TT. Also, I wouldn't call a 35kg loss extreme. Extreme to me is someone who has lost 100kgs or more.

The cheapest option I'm aware of from an plastic surgeon in Australia is Mr Mark Moore in Adelaide.

• Like 1

I haven't heard of anyone who gives out free tummy tucks and I'm 70kgs gone and mine is bearable although I am having a slice taken out next winter but just to enhance my good looks.

What I have noticed lately is that even at 52 my lose skin has shrunk a little after going to the gym for the last month.

• Like 2

If they were bulk billed Im sure everyone would be doing it - Never heard of it.

Best thing for her to do is join a health fund and start saving. even with PHI it will still be $4-8K depending on surgeon

• Like 1

I believe that there is reconstructive surgery available through Medicare for those who have lost a lot of weight and who are now having medical issues due to excess kin. As far as I am aware, this Medicare funding is quite minimal and would not cover the surgical costs. But I'm not sure what it is and how much it is. I'm also not sure if it is done through the public system, or only private.

If I were your friend, I'd talk to my GP and get a referral and take it from there.

• Like 1

Agree with Kazbo, I do believe you can get skin reduction on the public system as I have met people who have done it. You would need to talk to your GP and get a referral. There would be a very long waiting list, as with most public system surgeries.

• Like 1

Thank you for the information, as I advised I didn't think there was much avalaible and was unable to find any in my searches.

Haven't heard of anyone in Australia getting a bulk billed / no gap TT. Also, I wouldn't call a 35kg loss extreme. Extreme to me is someone who has lost 100kgs or more.

The cheapest option I'm aware of from an plastic surgeon in Australia is Mr Mark Moore in Adelaide.

missy_belle for someone who is 5'1 and lost to be exact 39kgs I would consider it pretty extreme. Her BMI was in the 50's. Each to their own though :)

• Like 1

@kazbo Medicare chipped in for my surgery costs but it was hardly anything compared to the remaining gap.

@leese_88 I've lost 72kgs and I don't consider that to be extreme, hence the comment.

You could also get a non plastic surgeon such as some bariatric surgeons to perform a skin removal which would likely be cheaper but unlikely to have as good outcome in terms of visual as a plastic surgeon. Would still need PHI to cover the hospital costs for a surgery that has a Medicare item number.

• Like 2

for someone who is 5'1 and lost to be exact 39kgs I would consider it pretty extreme. Her BMI was in the 50's. Each to their own though :)

Am looking at this info ( 5'1", BMI >50, loss of 39kg)... and thinking she still has a way to go?

If the starting BMI was even 50, at 5'1" (152.5cm), her starting weight would have been at least 116kg. So, if she's lost 39kg, then that still puts her in the obese category, at 77kg.

I'm 5'2" & have a healthy weight range of 52-60kg. So, do you think your friend may be able to sign up for PHI, and use the 12 mth wait to lose the remainder of her excess weight first, before considering reconstructive surgery?? Just a thought.

I've lost 72kgs and I don't consider that to be extreme, hence the comment.

No Missy, That's HARD CORE !!!!

Are you sure her BMI was in the 50's, because I am under 5 foot (149cm) and I have lost 50 kg and wasn't in the 50's BMI to begin with!!

• Like 1

"Massive" weight loss is considered to be 50kg+ ... extreme, I would imagine, is considerably more than that. Maybe 100kg+ ?

I'm on a waiting list to have a breast reduction and bodylift done, through the public system, and have been told I could be waiting for more than 10 years. This shit doesn't fly with me so I'm in the process of making an official complaint.

If I were able to afford PHI and save the gap, I would, but I'm on a disability pension and can barely afford normal day to day living expenses, let alone saving for surgery etc. We're constantly being told that we're in an "obesity epidemic" (which just incidentally, sent my anxiety levels sky high 4 years ago having me convinced I was going to die of a heart attack at any second, and I'm still struggling with it), yet I had to wait 6 years to get lap banded in the public system and whilst the care I've received has been adequate it's absolute bare bones treatment. I got lap banded in the first place to lose weight so that I could get a breast reduction done to alleviate pain from my too large breasts. So, do the sums ... 6 years waiting for a lap band, lose enough weight to get put onto a waiting list for a breast reduction, and then be told I'll still be waiting another 10+ years. That's at least another 9 years of having to exercise, constantly in pain, just to be able to maintain my weight so that I still qualify for surgery. The thought of that stretching out in front me is unbearable at times.

I'm unable to work because of depression, anxiety, fibromyalgia and constant back pain, and I'm looking at living out at least the next 9 years of my life in poverty and pain. If I could get these surgeries done and have at least most of my pain alleviated I would hope I would be able to work part time and feel better about myself because I wouldn't be living on handouts, which absolutely kills me.

These surgeries ARE covered by medicare in the public health system if you have significant clinical symptoms like pain and/or rashes, but actually getting them done is another story. As previously fat people who were discriminated against everywhere we went, we're still being discriminated against because these surgeries are only seen as aesthetic procedures to fix problems caused by excess skin leftover after treatment for obesity. That's iatragenic. (A condition caused by medical treatment.) It's great that we have access to lap banding through the public system ... it's not great that we have to wait so long for it ... and it's not great that the treatment stops there rather than following through with skin removal. And I don't mean skin removal for everyone. Geeez ... if you lose 10 or 20 kg, you do NOT need a bodylift. I'm talking about people who have lost 50kg+ and are having problems because of the saggy skin.

Anyway ... sorry for the rant but this is really close to my heart right now cause I'm in pain every single day and I just can't deal with it anymore. Believe it or not ... my pain has gotten worse the more weight I've lost. Go figure.

• Like 2

Are you sure her BMI was in the 50's, because I am under 5 foot (149cm) and I have lost 50 kg and wasn't in the 50's BMI to begin with!!

Unless her BMI is now in the 30s maybe (?). ie dont assume she is now in the healthy weight range. My starting BMI was 48 ish and after losing 72kgs it bought my BMI down to around 23 ish but I'm 5'7.

• Like 1

"Massive" weight loss is considered to be 50kg+ ... extreme, I would imagine, is considerably more than that. Maybe 100kg+ ?

I'm on a waiting list to have a breast reduction and bodylift done, through the public system, and have been told I could be waiting for more than 10 years. This shit doesn't fly with me so I'm in the process of making an official complaint.

If I were able to afford PHI and save the gap, I would, but I'm on a disability pension and can barely afford normal day to day living expenses, let alone saving for surgery etc. We're constantly being told that we're in an "obesity epidemic" (which just incidentally, sent my anxiety levels sky high 4 years ago having me convinced I was going to die of a heart attack at any second, and I'm still struggling with it), yet I had to wait 6 years to get lap banded in the public system and whilst the care I've received has been adequate it's absolute bare bones treatment. I got lap banded in the first place to lose weight so that I could get a breast reduction done to alleviate pain from my too large breasts. So, do the sums ... 6 years waiting for a lap band, lose enough weight to get put onto a waiting list for a breast reduction, and then be told I'll still be waiting another 10+ years. That's at least another 9 years of having to exercise, constantly in pain, just to be able to maintain my weight so that I still qualify for surgery. The thought of that stretching out in front me is unbearable at times.

I'm unable to work because of depression, anxiety, fibromyalgia and constant back pain, and I'm looking at living out at least the next 9 years of my life in poverty and pain. If I could get these surgeries done and have at least most of my pain alleviated I would hope I would be able to work part time and feel better about myself because I wouldn't be living on handouts, which absolutely kills me.

These surgeries ARE covered by medicare in the public health system if you have significant clinical symptoms like pain and/or rashes, but actually getting them done is another story. As previously fat people who were discriminated against everywhere we went, we're still being discriminated against because these surgeries are only seen as aesthetic procedures to fix problems caused by excess skin leftover after treatment for obesity. That's iatragenic. (A condition caused by medical treatment.) It's great that we have access to lap banding through the public system ... it's not great that we have to wait so long for it ... and it's not great that the treatment stops there rather than following through with skin removal. And I don't mean skin removal for everyone. Geeez ... if you lose 10 or 20 kg, you do NOT need a bodylift. I'm talking about people who have lost 50kg+ and are having problems because of the saggy skin.

Anyway ... sorry for the rant but this is really close to my heart right now cause I'm in pain every single day and I just can't deal with it anymore. Believe it or not ... my pain has gotten worse the more weight I've lost. Go figure.

I'm sorry for your pain tish......but on the other side of things, we with PHI are not much better off.

We pay every month, what I consider a lot of money, to be able to get better health care....and then we go to hospital and are slugged again. I also would love a TT and boob lift...but I can't afford the extra it would cost me.

My parents have top cover and when my mum got cancer my father estimated it cost them over $100,000 extra for her that there PHI didn't cover.

I was talking to a lady only this week, she has breast cancer, she has PHI and told me 'if my mother didn't die and leave me a small inheritance I would have had to sell my house to cover the costs'. She is divorced, works full time, aged around 60. It is costing her over $2000 a week for her radiation therapy.

I'm not rich but we put aside money to pay for our PHI and to tell you the truth it shits me that we have to pay again.

I have a friend who has no PHI and has the same top level cancer doctor my dad has....and yes you guessed it, he is paying a lot more again. And this friend is off to Hawaii today....that gives me the shits, she thinks it's her right to have the best doctors.

My son had to have emergency surgery recently...in the public system and his care was, to put it mildly, disgusting. He has since joined up with Bupa.

I don't know what the answer to it all is, but why should I pay twice? Is anyone with PHI covering those who don't? I think the whole system need to be looked at.

Sorry for taking over the thread with my rant.

I hope your friend leese_88 gets the help she needs.

• Like 4

I believe there is alot of intelligent ladies (and men, even if they are a little on the quieter side ;) ) in here. After reading through all of these posts in one go, it makes me wonder what would happen if all these thoughts got put forth to local members of parliament, health funds, local newspapers and communities. I have a feeling there is alot more people going through this hellish ordeal also, and while we all know our medical system is often struggling to keep up despite doing the best it can, there is always room for improvement. 

With Australia's obesity epidemic in full force, and the rate of overweight kids on the rise (yes I read that article about the 6 year old's parents contemplating WLS for her too yikes), this issue of WLS, excessive skin removal and other aesthetic procedures is only going to increase. If the public waiting list is years long now, damn. 

About the only thing that will get thin is everyones patience.

• Like 2

Unfortunately Medicare only covers what they class as the scheduled fee for these surgeries and is no where near the real costs involved.

I lost 110kgs and had both upper and lower body lift surgery by plastic surgeon cost was about $34K in total for the two surgeries which take about 7+ hours each performed 6 months apart, I got back approx. $2800 form medicare and $800 from HCF and HCF covered the hospital charges of some $21k each (depending on length of stay)....

Even to go overseas you would still be up for approximately 1/3 of the costs and then need to factor in any additional risks in being overseas..... that is based on my experiences, your friend losing 35kgs might not need the same level of skin removal I needed, get some quotes as a starting point to see what needs to be done...

• Like 1

well i am 155cm tall and weighed 156.7kg BMI 65.2

even though i have lost 56.5 kg my BMI still is 41.7 so still massively obese

• Like 2

Medicare does cover excess skin removal. I have an extremely large apron of fat/skin that is very abnormal and my GP referred me to the local public hospitals plastic surgery department. However they have still twice declined that referral as even despite a 60+kg loss, the hospital will only see you if your BMI is under 30 (mine is currently 39.9!) So I have to lose another 25kgs to get my BMI in the right place.

• Like 5

I wonder if you could go on a public waiting list if you have PHI? I have HCF top cover, and have had it for a long time, but the out of pocket costs are astronomical! The way I see it is that we've done the right thing by banding/sleeving and losing the weight, we've proved we can keep it off, and we've saved the public system shitloads. We've reduced our risk of diabetes, stroke, heart disease etc, so we've potentially saved the public purse a lot of spending on us. Obviously I can save up and pay the costs, but there should be better medicare rebates, or government rebates or something. My out of pocket costs were around $4k, I can't remember exactly, just for the surgery. Some pay less, some pay more, and it's a lot of money. If we have an obesity epidemic here, the Government needs to be proactive. I expect nothing from this current Federal Government though, I work in Health and the cuts are incredible.

• Like 1