Gabby28

Canberra Bariatric

Hi everyone, I am seriously considering getting a lapband and have been for about 2 years now. From what I understand Canberra Bariatric in Deakin is the only place that performs WLS here in Canberra. I am a little hesitant to call and make an appointment as I don't know what to expect and what the process will be from first appointment to band and after care. I was just wondering if anyone who has been through the process before with Canberra Bariatric would be able to help alleviate my anxiety and shed some light on what I can expect to happen at the appointments in general. Thanks in advance.

Hi Gabby. I have had the sleeve but it was with canberra bariatric. I think they have info sessions u could phone them to get more info. But other than that u have an appointment with the dr and a dietitian they assess ur situation give u information so u can make a decision from there if u'd like to go ahead. All of the staff there are so lovely and made me feel so at ease about the whole process i suggest calling the reception staff as they would be more than happy to help and answer any questions u have!

Hi Gabby, I've had the gastric sleeve (which I'd highly recommend over the lap band!) through Canberra Bariatric.  Dr Mosse and his team are amazing.  Go to an information night (phone reception and find out when the next one is on) and go from there.  I wish I'd done it years before I did.  Another thing you could do is find the Facebook site called Gastric Sleevers Australia (it's a private site I think, but you can ask to join) and read up on the process there.  There is a ton of information.  The sleeve is a newer procedure than the band and is more successful I believe.  I personally have a friend who had the lap band and initially lost weight, but then put it all back on plus more because she had difficulty eating proper food.  

• Like 1

Thank you Nyla and Patty for replying! I definitely will call them and book in for an information session and also have a look at that Facebook page Patty. I think I'm ready to finally do this now and I will be calling them tomorrow :) Thanks again ladies.

Hi Gabby

Yep as the other ladies have said, you need to go to the info session first and then book from there. They do close down from mid-December and re-open at the end of January so don't be surprised if they aren't having any more sessions this year.

I was lap banded by Siva @ Canberra Bariatric in 2010. I had it removed 1 year ago and was sleeved in March this year. I would not recommend the band because it is so unpredictable, can be quite high maintenance (I was back and forth every 6 weeks or so getting adjustments for the 3 years I was banded, that is not usual) and is fraught with so many ongoing complications that may occur the whole time you are banded.

The sleeve is (in my humble opinion) far more reliable, requires far less maintenance (you have the op and then after recovery it is all about eating well and exercising more, not faffing about with needles in your belly), it allows me to eat pretty much any food without worrying about it getting stuck and having to throw it up and aside from the initial risks, carries far fewer risks post operatively.

They used to allow bandits to pay a yearly membership fee for unlimited fills, etc. Because the bands require more effort and maintenance with fills, they now charge for each visit after your first year. That would have cost me an absolute fortune to keep getting fills if I was still banded!!

Charlie is great, Siva is great, they are both great surgeons and are very, very cautious. They take no unnecessary risks, they are very strict with their pre and post op requirements but it's all for our benefit.

Thanks for replying Kazbo! I have heard and read a lot of negative reviews about the lapband but have heard nothing but good things about the sleeve. It is something that I will keep in mind as I definitely don't like the idea of things getting stuck and having to have the fills. I'm a little more terrified of getting the sleeve but it can't be worse than when I had to have my gallbladder removed!

Well, I did it, I called today and managed to book in to an info session on the 1.12.14 which I guess is the last one for the year so hopefully all goes well for me from there. May I ask if not too personal how much weight you lost from the band compared to how much you lost from the sleeve? I am starting at 112kg, my highest is 127 and my lowest in my adult life was 60. Although most recently (2 years ago) I got down to 95 but couldn't shift anymore. Now I am back into the triple digits again. Over the past 9 years my weight has fluctuated within 70kgs and I just feel like I'm mentally exhausted and can't do it anymore. I am going to research more into the sleeve as it seems like the better option over the lapband. How did you ladies find the operation and then adapting to life with a sleeve?

• Like 1

I was just saying today to a friend that i dont even feel like ive had the sleeve...i still only eat about half a cup at a sitting but that just seems normal now...i can eat anything pretty much without any issues like dumping etc not that i really ever had much of that and now im at a size which enables me to make better lifestyle choices about being active etc....

So in short I just feel like a normal person who doesnt eat a lot its a non issue which i assume is a point you never really reach with the band

I'd highly recomend it...it will change your life for the better without the issues of the band

• Like 1

You should also note that WLS is now available via the public health system - I can only presume that Charlie and Siva also do those ops and I have no idea what the criteria, requirements and waiting list might be.

My stats are in my signature for my WLS efforts - I got down to 92kgs after 2 years with the band before bouncing up to 97...which I stayed at for ages until creeping up to 100+.

After band removal I got to 112.1kgs and am now at 90kgs...where I have been at for ages! but I remain optimistic that I can overcome my psychological barriers and move past this comfort zone. I like that I don't have the wild variances that I did pre-sleeve.

I have a friend who was working for the public obesity clinic till a few months ago, at that point they still hasn't decided who would be doing the public wls, so I wouldn't suspect they'll be doing the surgery publicly for a while yet, even though they have approval to do it

• Like 1