Sign in to follow this  
MissDebb

Feeling the port...

Hi all, I'm 12 days post op (2nd time round) I started at 95.7kg and so far down to 90kg but the problem I'm having is I can't feel the port AT ALL, I know I'm still a little bit swollen but I've had a pretty good feel and nothing.... I had an appointment with my dietician today and she told me I may need an X-ray to see where it is, I haven't been informed of my outpatients appointment yet for the hospital, Just wondering if anyone else has been through this or has any advice? I'm just not sure what step to take next 😞

Hi Miss Deb - I wouldn't panic at all, you don't need to feel the port the dr does when he puts in the fill.  I had my first fill yesterday - the band aid the dr put on is a good inch lower than scar for the port.  The dr put a pillow behind my back so he could feel the port better.  A lot of people say they can feel the port when they have lost most of their weight - I am a long way from that.

I can't remember being able to feel my port without laying down until about the 2 year mark but now at 3 1/2 years it has a little bump all the time.

Mines just below and slight right from my scar, I have been able to feel it from day 1. But there is no need for you to feel it. Sometimes it gets caught if I carry something on my hip.

I dunno where the heck mine is either but I'm not too fussed sure doc will find it.

I've always been able to feel mine but my fill doctor does a little ultrasound to make sure he's got it before sticking me

Well i had my pre-op appointment today and the Dr decided to do a fill (first fill for this band, last band was so easy compared to this), it took her 4 attempts to get the port, it bloody hurt & she really struggled to find it, it took her about half an hour...

I'm not used to that as my last band was so easy to find. Now my tummy is sore & bruised from where she was jabbing and moving it around trying to get the feel for it, I know i'm now going to panic before each fill now  :(   

Ouch deb you poor thing! I can Def feel mine now, threw something against my hip and port in burnings yesterday, bloody hurt, won't be doing that again in a hurry!

Well i had my pre-op appointment today and the Dr decided to do a fill (first fill for this band, last band was so easy compared to this), it took her 4 attempts to get the port, it bloody hurt & she really struggled to find it, it took her about half an hour...

I'm not used to that as my last band was so easy to find. Now my tummy is sore & bruised from where she was jabbing and moving it around trying to get the feel for it, I know i'm now going to panic before each fill now  :(

you could ask to have adjustments done under X-ray that way there won't be any jabbing around.

So had my 2nd fill today, the Doc read my notes as to where to find the port from the doctor that did my first fill, Left hand side of the big incision 4cm down. NOPE!

After he had a fiddle around he found the port 15cm down, he said he had never seen one that far down before, when I lay on my side you can feel it better. So he got it first jab and found there was only 1ml in there not 2ml. So either the first doctor couldn't find it & just said that she had put fluid in or my band is leaking... I think she didn't put any in as I can feel the fluid going into the band.

Next app in 4 weeks & have to wait and see if there's less then 2mil then the band is leaking, not sure what that means, let's hope not another operation..

• Like 2

that's really odd mate!?? be interested to see what they say next!