Sign in to follow this  
ksriemer

My personal dream project

Hi dear Forum,

I am Kathrin and originally from Bavaria/Germany. I live in Australia since 06/2012 and I am loving it! :-)  We are moving up to Brisbane next year and building our own house and pottery workshop.

All is perfect, but not my weight. I am struggling all my life with my overweight. And now I have reached a weight which makes my life very miserable. I am 170 cm and my weight is 108 kg :-(

Last year I had a heavy pulmonary embolism after an old thrombosis, apparently in the left leg, broke up and travelled up to my lungs. I am having heavy legs every evening and so son and so son.

Today I was visiting my GP and asked him for a lap band surgery. I was refered to Dr. John Jorgensen in Kogarah.  I will call tomorrow and try to get an appointment. Unfortunately our private health insurance excluded weight loss surgery. Not sure if I get help from Medicare because I am not for very long with Medicare (before I was on a Business Visa 457 and now perm resident since June 2014).

Does anyone has any eperience with Dr. John Jorgensen?

Can anyone please explain me how it works with funding via Supa?

Thanks for any info. All new for me and I have to research a lot of things :-)

Thanks, Kathrin

Hi Kathrin - welcome to the forum.  I am not completely sure how the Super works but I think you can apply to have some of your super released early for medical reasons - that being said you would need to have about $15000 -  $20000 in your super as that is what I think it costs, but again don't quote me as I didn't need to do this.  You can up your private health and wait for a year - or try and go on the public list.,  I don't know what the wait time is now but in Qld they are having adds all over the tv that the wait times for all surgeries have been reduced, maybe someone who has gone through the public system can comment for you.

All in all I wasn't much help to you but I am sure someone will pop along soon with the answers that you need

• Like 2

See about switching from your current health insurance to the same level of cover with Medibank private health insurance. Their basic level of hospital covers lapband!! If you have waited 12 months with your previous health fund you can claim straight away with Medibank. I did this and had my operation a month later

• Like 2

Welcome kathrin, ring your super and look st other ph funds. Dont get yourself down, you have moved halfway around the world.....talk about gutsy. You will work through this puzzle.

• Like 1

Thanks everybody for your feedback.  Good start already.     :)

I have to call on the 31st to get an appointment for a seminar.  Looks to me that you get introduced in a seminar about the whole subject, which i find is a good idea.  Then if you still want to go further then you meet the doc.   I have seen some sums around 5-7k for the surgery which would be possible to finance for me.  I hope I can afford it, really.

Dont think that I get Medicare of priv health, I am not long enough a member to claim benefits from the community, which i do understand and fully accept.

I will keep you all posted.

Hi, I have called and asked for a Seminar appointment. I will go there this Wednesday to visit the seminar of Dr. Ken Loi.    

The lady on the reception already gave me the idem number to contact my privat insurance (item is 31575) and I am priv insured with nib. I told her that I fear that my nib has excluded weight loss and I asked her how much the whole surgery would cost if i had to pay myself.

The whole "action" cost 23,000$  :-O

$ 14,000  is for the hospital

$  5,000  is for the surgery

$  2,000  is for the anaesthetic 

$     500  Misc

She said, it is a rough estimate, not detailed but i have to reckon with aorund 23k.  

That doesnt sound good to me as I will not be able to afford this big amount of money.   I will go to the Seminar though, but my hopes are pretty low :-(

That is a hefty quote! But unfortunately sounds about right with what others have been quoted for a sleeve as it requires more days in hospital for recovery than the band. It'd be worth calling your health insurer and giving them the code to see if you're covered - if not either upgrade and wait the 12 months to have the procedure, or consider moving to Medibank as their lower levels cover it so you may not have a waiting period... 

I'm sorry its more than expected, fingers crossed its covered with your PHI!

• Like 3