sarahashley93

Pasta Cravings? Here's a Pre-Op Alternative!

Hey! I don't know if anyone has posted this before as I haven't read too far back. 

Anyway, my response to spaghetti cravings is zucchini pasta! It has heaps of benefits, a big extra serve of vegies, you can have as much "pasta" as you like and as long as you have a good sauce, it's totally healthy! Plus it helps to kill those carby cravings. I'm not normally a fan of zucchini, but I absolutely loved this. 

All you need is a zucchini, and preferably a julienne peeler (<$10) or you can buy the real deal kitchen gadget that's made for making zucchini pasta - i think its called microplane, or thats the brand. 

If you don't want to invest just yet, in case you don't like it, you can always peel big slices off and then cut into strips yourself. 

Anyway, whatever you choose, just shred into pasta-like noodles (stop when you get to the seeds) boil in salted water for no more than about 5 minutes - they're not as good when they're soggy. Just test like you would normally do with pasta. Drain well and add a sauce. 

My favourite is passata (pureed tomatoes) and mushrooms.

-  Add your daily allowed teaspoon of oil to the pan.

-  Add mushrooms and garlic and other seasonings eg. basil, italian herbs etc. 

-  Then add passata - you can buy it with the other pasta sauces but there's no additives. 

- Stir it til its all warmed through and you're done! 

All ingredients are ok for pre-op! 

Also if you feel like pesto here's a quick recipe for a dairy, nut free pesto. 

-  Bunch of basil

-  Handful of spinach leaves (adds volume) 

-  Extra virgin olive oil

-  Lemon juice 

- Garlic (I use minced) 

-  Salt and pepper to taste

You can mix up the quantities to suit your liking, then just bung it all in a food processor or stick blender or nutribullet or whatever you've got and you're done! 

• Like 3

I've been making zoodles for years now :)  Got a zoodle making thingy from overseas because I could never find one here but they are all the rage now and in kitchen shops everywhere.  The past few months I've also been using a julienne peeler when I just want to do a smaller amount of zoodles for me.  I prefer the zuchinni to wheat pasta.

• Like 1

They're so good aren't they? Perfect for pre-op. I found the proper tool at a store called homewares direct at Harbour Town in Adelaide. It was about $25 full price, but the outlet store had them at like 40% off. Totally worth it. Have you heard of Konjac noodles? They're also really good, and a big dose of fibre which is very helpful on optifast! 

Also known as Spiralizers, Vegie Cutters and Vegetable Twisters, and can be quite hard work if cheaper brands are bought. They are novel and a fun way to get kids to eat their vegies too lol I figured it would be another fad thing and end up in my junk drawer so I didn't buy one, but I was close! I know of ppl who did buy them and enjoyed them for a while. I like my pasta and some things just can't be substituted to me lol.

what a great idea! thanks for sharing im definitely going to give this a whirl! I make zucinni chips in the air flyer, t hey are yummie!

• Like 1

what a great idea! thanks for sharing im definitely going to give this a whirl! I make zucinni chips in the air flyer, t hey are yummie!

Hello, I am new here about to have surgery Thursday 2015. I noticed an icon showing lost at 60%. I wondered if that was an app of some sort. I am not good keeping track so I thought I should make the effort! Cheers Platy. (ps love the idea of vegi chips .. I rarely check out shops for gadgets. What price are airfryers & where?) thankyou. 

uhmmm our air fryer was about $250 it think from memory about 2 yrs ago from Harvey Norman we LOVE it, use it daily...... you go into your profile and adjust your settings/signature etc to get that info down the side.

I've got a peeler with a corrugated blade, does the same thing, making veggies into strips. If you press too hard, you end up with crinkle cut chip style slices. I bought it from an Asian grocery place for about $7.

• Like 1

I bought a cheapo version of the Veggetti and it arrived this week - looking forward to having a bowl of zucchini bolognese on the weekend!

I had zucchini pasta with a sauce made from tinned tomatoes and herbs several times during pre-op phase.

I love them. Perfect for when you're trying to cut down on carbs or calories.

I cooked mine in the bowl I serve it in, covered with cling film in the microwave for a couple of minutes - less to wash up, lol :P

• Like 1

I. Am. Obsessed. With my vege spiralizer!!!!! Ive got a whizz bang one that firs on my kitchenaid mixer and a pete evans benchtop one. I use it daily. Dont stop at zucchini - parsnip, turnip and swede make great noodles, carrot and cucumber in salad apple noodles with fennel in salads - sweet potato spiralized add oilive oil spray, season and back for shoestring fries........ Check out www.inspiralized.com for ideas. Oh, and spiralize your broccoli stems, theyre delish!

• Like 1

I. Am. Obsessed. With my vege spiralizer!!!!! Ive got a whizz bang one that firs on my kitchenaid mixer and a pete evans benchtop one. I use it daily. Dont stop at zucchini - parsnip, turnip and swede make great noodles, carrot and cucumber in salad apple noodles with fennel in salads - sweet potato spiralized add oilive oil spray, season and back for shoestring fries........ Check out www.inspiralized.com for ideas. Oh, and spiralize your broccoli stems, theyre delish!

Sorry for the triple post, i got a bit excited!

• Like 1