di2210

Self funded Newbie.......

Hello I am a Newbie to this Fantastic website ...Stumbled upon it looking in the plastic Surgery Forum ....Anyway , i am a self funded /uninsured girl that has a BMI 36 .....lives S E QLD ...will travel to good Surgeon PLEASE any help grateful ..  

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Hi There - I am also in SE Qld.  I had my band done by Dr John Kopp at Ipswich St Andrews hospital on 3 November and would be happy to recommend him.  I do have private health though so I don't know how you go being self funded.  Paying for health insurance and waiting for 1 year certainly seems a much cheaper way to go? It was 4 months from when I saw the surgeon to I had the surgery so it would only be another 8month wait.  I believe the after care is also important and my health fund covers me seeing the dietician and it also covered me for the psychologist prior to surgery.

I also went with Dr John Copp for the sleeve in February.

Very happy with him though I don't think he will operate on self funded patients

you can search for surgeons on the Obesity Surgeons of Australia and NZ website as well

Hi di,

Also self insured and from SE Qld. I had my surgery on 22nd of December, 2014 in Brisbane. Everything has gone exceptionally well. Can't say I've had any problems so far. If you would like any information, please don't hesitate to message me. Surgeon - fantastic, Hospital - great, weight loss - sensational. I can also tell you what it cost if you are interested.

Good Luck,

Steve.

• Like 2

Hi di2210 and welcome,

Dr Victor Liew is on the Gold Coast and he does not charge the gap, so when you are self funded it helps to keep the costs down .

He is the only Surgeon that I know of who bulk bills.

He did my sleeve last Wednesday and bulk billing aside I found him to be absolutely wonderful, I am soooo pleased that I choose

Him for my surgery and I was more than happy to travel the 3 hrs for my op. Good luck and best wishes for your surgery.

Rang around this morning Dr Hopkins does Self funded in Public but looking at op next new year , Dr Bowden does Self funded as well same looking at New Year and Dr Victor Liew does not do public and only PHI patients .

Hi di,

Also self insured and from SE Qld. I had my surgery on 22nd of December, 2014 in Brisbane. Everything has gone exceptionally well. Can't say I've had any problems so far. If you would like any information, please don't hesitate to message me. Surgeon - fantastic, Hospital - great, weight loss - sensational. I can also tell you what it cost if you are interested.

Good Luck,

Steve.

Email sent thanks Steve .....

Rang around this morning Dr Hopkins does Self funded in Public but looking at op next new year , Dr Bowden does Self funded as well same looking at New Year and Dr Victor Liew does not do public and only PHI patients .

So considering you have to wait nearly a year, anyway, might you consider getting PHI?

The wait for me would have been around six months, so I thought I may as well wait the extra six, and get PHI.