Hi,
I'm new to the site/ group  :) 

Apologies in advance for the long winded post!

Although I'm in the research stages of the sleeve gastrectomy I am seriously considering getting the surgery done in time to come.

Growing up I always compared myself to other girls and saw myself as big, being that I am short (153cmish) and they were tall didn't help. My weight was probably a little over for my height but throughout the years it's slowly piled on, moving to the country (driving not walking everywhere) hasn't helped. I've went from 80kg [2009] to 113kg [2014] (this includes after pregnancy in 2013).
I recently got down to 102.7kg with the help of medication (duromine) but back up to 105kg within last month with constant travel and poor food choices on the road, the medication has been the kickstart I needed but I know it's not realistic or safe to stay on it and am looking for a more permanent solution.

My BMI is 45 

I feel like I have exhausted all options and this looks to be what I truly need, (along with healthy eating and exercise of course).

Portion size has always been my issue also, just eating and not recognising the signs of fullness, I could imagine a smaller stomach size would help immensely provided I ate the right things.

I don't want to be one of those mum's that watches from the sidelines & is too unhealthy to join in!

I would just like to know some details from those who have gone through the private health insurance road,
I know each are different and the prices rise in april but want to make sure I get signed up with one that covers the sleeve surgery, and also what the experiences with different companies are like.. good, bad otherwise???
I am from Victoria if that helps?

Thanks a million for your time!!!
Bianca

Good luck Bianca. I can't help with the info, as I am a bandit not a sleever, but your story rings true for me in some aspects. I hope it works out for you and stay positive. Alot of curve balls get thrown but just smash em off into the distance and don't let anything stop you this time. You can do this :D

• Like 1

Hello, I share your struggle, My weight is around the same as yours. Ive recently decided to go ahead with sleeving. I am in top cover Medibank Private and the surgeons gap is $6,000. I hvae applied for an early release of my super on compassionate grounds to get the money for the surgery as I dont have savings. I am awaiting the decison. In the interim I started on the optifast diet that is neccessary prior to surgery to shrink the liver. My liver was hugely enlarged and apparently its not uncommon for surgeons to start the operation and then abort it as the liver can be too big to get at the stomach safely. In the last 7 weeks Ive lost 15 kilos so Im hoping that if I keep going while I wait for teh paperwork I may lose enough on my own!.

Good luck with your journey.

• Like 1

Thank you both for your replies!

Angel Butterfly,
Thank you for your inspirational words
I was thinking of banding originally but as I live about 4 hours from city it would make return appointments 
a nightmare!!!
I will get there, not only for me but for my son also!!!!
Congratulations on your weight loss also :)

HeftyHideaway,
Thank you for your informative reply!
I'm not a big fan of diet shakes on the long term but can understand why it would be necessary for surgery, also  
I never knew that about the liver, how interesting!!
I had been reading other people's posts and Medibank Private does seem to be mentioned a lot!!
Is the high level cover called "Ultra Health Cover" 
I just didn't want to call Health Insurance agencies and have them try to sign me up on the spot, but I feel 
more confident now.
Although I don't have much money saved I am hoping within the waiting period I would have the money needed. 
Congratulations on your weight loss so far!!!
I also wish for the best with your weight loss journey!

• Like 1

Thank you both for your replies!

Angel Butterfly,

Thank you for your inspirational words

I was thinking of banding originally but as I live about 4 hours from city it would make return appointments 

a nightmare!!!

I will get there, not only for me but for my son also!!!!

Congratulations on your weight loss also :)

You're welcome Bianca. Yes, often the commute is a deal breaker for people thinking about lap bands. For me it wasn't really a choice. I went in and let the Surgeon pick what would work best for me, but given my medical background and gastrointestinal issues it was best for me to go the route of a lap band as if my body rejected it, I could have it removed. But with the gastric sleeve, once a portion of the stomach area is removed, there is no going back.

My weight loss was fast at the start, then averaged out then it stopped in it's tracks lol but we do what we need to do. It isn't always about the scales, and I am the healthiest I have ever been. Ty for your encouragement. :)

• Like 1

At the moment medibank offer the lowest level of PHI that covers weight loss surgery, so I'd look at them first for a quote- it's on their basic cover. If you're in a position to pay 12 months up front you'll pay the current price and not have to worry about the increase until it's time to pay next year.

• Like 1

I used medibank private and they were amazing. Seriously, so helpful. I also claimed the gap from my super for chronic pain issues I had in my knees so the whole op didn't cost me. I feel like I've had a LOT of ups and downs since the surgery, at times I felt like I had made a mistake, but now, over 30kg down, I finally have the energy to play with my kids and am enjoying my life a lot more. It really does change your life. Good luck, I wish you all the best on your journey :)

• Like 1

I have just changed from hcf to medibank as hcf want people to be on top level of cover as medibank will cover the gastric band or sleeve on basic but all people are different and there cover my be different

u need to contact doctor and ask them for item number to see if your fund covers it

The item number for gastric sleeve is 31575

• Like 1

Finally signed up!!! Thanks for all the helpful information. :)
I went with Medibank but couldn't pay a year up front as unexpected bills sprung up (bloody cars!).
Now just counting down until my waiting period is up & work also on getting myself more healthy.. 
Hopefully lose a bit on my own prior to surgery.

I decided to go back on duromine just over Easter holiday, hopefully keep my mind off the junk everywhere.
We are getting each other $5 pressies instead of easter eggs/chocolate, sis in law wants toothpaste!!!  :)

I know it isn't always about the scales, I may never be "slim", that doesn't bother me... I just want to be the healthiest version of myself
I can possibly be!
When the time comes I will talk to the surgeon about what option will best suit me, it is a big deal no matter which 
road I choose.

It's kind of depressing not wanting to get family photos or even happy snaps with son because of how unhealthy I am, 

Thank you to everyone's responses/replies.. It has helped me a great deal!!!!

:D 

• Like 2