MrsFig

Will I Know When I Am Full?

I am officially off the clear liquids and started on nourishing thin fluids now and feeling really good after my surgery. I am really scared about over doing it and rupturing my stiches though. This morning I had about 100mll thin protein shake. I drank it very slowly (about half an hour) though didn't get a full feeling after it. Is it because I drank it slowly or is there something wrong? I expected to feel full after half of it....

For me, postop fluids never 'filled me up', it just took away the hunger. If that makes sense? Try not to look for that full feeling, look for satisfaction and no more hunger.

• Like 3

I'm in the same boat with water. I have always been a big water drinker and I could just sip water all day if I wanted. I'm trying to restrict my water to 2 sips (50ml) every ten minutes but its so hard 😯

I had that problem with the water too as I was feeling really dehydrated. I just had to keep sipping every 10 minutes and then by the end of the day I got enough in. 

Are you still on clear liquids Mystique?

I am not feeling hungry, so it is very hard to gauge when I am satisfied. Will just have to keep measuring everything I have for now...

No I started nourishing yesterday. I'm much the same as you with not being sure when to stop but I am also just measuring away to be safe. First time in a while that I can't wait to see my dietitian lol.

• Like 1

You probably won't feel the proper full feeling until you get to the thicker purees and solids. At that point, you will definitely notice it :) 

I ended up skipping my first week of liquids by just not eating - I couldn't keep anything down so they just kept me in hospital! 

It seems the water issue is far more common than I thought! I had never even read anything about it before I experienced it first hand! I found cold water to be much easier to get down although it took a while to build back up how many sips I could have. I used to only drink room temperature water, now cold is the only way to go for me :) I could scull a whole bottle in one go and would drink +4L/day but now I am limited to about 5-6 sips each time and have to wait maybe 5mins before I go back for more.

• Like 2

Yes! You will know when you are full! Don't stress too much on liquids but trust me - you'll know when you are full!!!! It's horrible. Definitely look for satisfaction when it comes to solids. Don't wait for full!

• Like 1

Been going really well :-) hanging out till Monday so I can mix it up a bit with fish and puréed food though seem to be getting enough liquid in now... Don't have any pain anymore either so feeling really good!

How have you been going?

I'm going well too. I'm more sore now though in the last 2 days than I have been through the whole thing 😨

Might have to ease up a bit!

Yes! You will know when you are full! Don't stress too much on liquids but trust me - you'll know when you are full!!!! It's horrible. Definitely look for satisfaction when it comes to solids. Don't wait for full!

"Full" is not the same as 'satisfied'. Full is a horrible feeling where it hurts or you PB. Done that a few times and you don't wanna go there!

Satisfied is different. It 'can' be hard to pick initially, but it is much easier on solids. I wasn't sure I'd get it either, after not having felt 'satisfied' for so SO many years.

Here is my experience.

For me, what I had to do was actually time my bites: I went out and bought a little (cute) stopwatch thingy (Daiso do an awesome strawberry kitchen timer- for $2.80) and would only have one bite (chew chew chew chew chew repeat ad nauseum swallow) and not have anything else until the next minute popped up. This had two effects: it made sure I wasn't going too fast and risking getting 'stuck' (or PB-ing) and also lengthened out my meal times to the point of boredom. (Seriously). I'd get to the 20-minute or so mark and look down and find a little more food on my plate. And feel like "oh GAWD I still have more to eat". THAT's when I knew I was satisfied: when it felt like I didn't have to eat any more because there was no point- I was 'bored' with dinner.

The next thing to do feels totally weird. You scoop off the rest of the dinner into the compost bin. Because you don't need it. Seriously. It feels 'wrong' to be 'wasting' food, but it is better than 'waisting' it, if you get my pun point.

So if you don't know what 'satisfied' feels like, also look for 'bored with'. It is a fairly subtle sensation, or at least it is for me!

Finally you may need a little more fill before you start to 'get' it.

• Like 1

"Full" is not the same as 'satisfied'. Full is a horrible feeling where it hurts or you PB. Done that a few times and you don't wanna go there!

So if you don't know what 'satisfied' feels like, also look for 'bored with'. It is a fairly subtle sensation, or at least it is for me!

I feel that and sometimes it is more subtle than others....but it is there.

• Like 2

Yes.  I've decided that "full" is vastly over-rated (even though pre-op I would eat for that full feeling).  Satisfied is so much more pleasant to experience and I love that so little gives me satisfaction ;0)

• Like 1

For me, satisfied is when I look down at my plate and physically "sigh". 

Sigh out of boredom, sigh because it's cold, sigh because I cbf chewing 60 thousand more times.

When I sigh like that, I know I'm done. 

Sometimes I wrap up my plate and stick it in the fridge. If I want a bit more after 30mins, an hour, I can reheat it if I want to. More times than not, I never do. But then I know when I am throwing it away, I really don't want it and it doesn't feel like so much of a waste

• Like 1

hahahah Carislb you said exactly what happens to be every night. My food goes cold becuase of the chewing or feeling full after a few crumbs. I sit there and sigh because I have to wait for it to go down and its frustrating since I can finally eat real food but at baby portions :P

I do the sighing thing as well... sometimes I ignore it and regret it.

I started mushies today. Had a large bowl of mash potato and bolognaise sauce. Well, large is exaggerating. It was small compared to what I usually had, but it was still quite large for the stage I am. Finished it all. It was sooooooooooooooooo good. 

I'm only three weeks post op and am astonished at how much I ate that it is quite concerning to me.

It filled me, but nowhere near to the point of sickness or anything.

I know this sounds disgusting, but I am keen to find my limit (ie the point of where it feels painful and incomfortable), which in turn actually concerns me more that I what I just ate. My stomach is still healing obviously, so I won't be pushing it until it has.

But, did anyone else deliberately push themselves to test their limits?

• Like 2