Newbie89

Banding when obese.

I've heard the band is not as good for morbidly obese people. Is this true?

Can you loose LOTS of weight with a band? Or is it more suitable to those who only need to loose smaller amounts?

I understand results depend on the effort you put in, sticking to meal plans and exercising. I'm 25 and currently 130kgs. Apart from being overweight I'm generally healthy. Have looked into sleeve surgery but being uninsured and self funding, I can't seem to find anyone that will do it.

I can only speak for myself but I got banded at 140kg and lost 55kg. (85kg all up if you include what I lost before getting banded.)

• Like 3

I started at 126kg in Oct 2013 and have just hit 86kg following a tummy tuck and arm lift.

If you are considering doing it my advice is research to get a feel for your new way of living and go for it.

It's hard at first to get used to a new way if eating but believe me as the weight slowly comes off you won't regret it.

• Like 1

I was 150kg, just starting to get health issues. Lost 32kg since aug 2014. Let your surgeon help you come to a decision. Would do it all again in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

My surgeon said the band is best suited for the morbidly obese and at my first appointment she thought I might not be suitable because I was only 180kgs but after finding I had type 2 diabetes I had mine fitted as soon as possible. 

I have had both the band and the sleeve. I had the band fitted at 18yrs old 110kgs. I chose the band because at 18, I was scared of anything permanent and it was the most popular treatment at the time. I did ok on it to start with. The weightloss was slow, but I can only blame myself for that. I got down to 85kgs but I got fed up with it last year. I was sick of the follow up, the regurgitation (both from over eating but mainly from not being able to eat certain foods), the reflux, the port location and so on.

I contacted my clinic early last year and before they agreed to swap me to the sleeve (as I requested), they wanted to investigate why I was having increased problems. I agreed and it turned out my band had slipped. My surgeon offered to either give me a new band or I could have the sleeve done for a gap of $500 (I have private health insurance). I had already made the decision to swap to the sleeve and my surgeon was fine with that. The band came out and 3 months later, I had the sleeve :)

I like the sleeve a lot more. By the time I had the sleeve done (at 22yrs old), I had gone back up to 100kgs but since September 2014, I am back down to 82kgs (would be less - damn Christmas and Easter and no self control! :P ). I am less socially anxious about going out for meals and the regurgitation is minimal. Some sleevers experience increased reflux so my surgeon has had me on Pariet and I have never experienced a moment of reflux with the sleeve so that is nice :) I feel a lot more "normal" with the sleeve than I ever did with the band.

There are thousands of people who self fund band OR sleeve surgery. You should be able to find numerous surgeons who would do it, assuming you meet the medical criteria. I don't know your location so I can't help you with names sorry.

In terms of band v sleeve for weightloss, assuming all is normal, the outcome could be equal. There is no reason a person can't lose a truckload of weight with a band - and a lot of people do! It is typically a slower process compared to the sleeve but you only get out what you put in. Just because the band didn't work for me, doesn't mean I am against the band. It has helped many people. It is my personal belief that the sleeve is better but I can only talk from personal experience. There are plenty of bandit success stories on here :) Just make sure you choose the right procedure for YOU. Have a chat with a surgeon or two. Don't go with an option you don't want just because you don't think you can have the other done via self funding - as long as you can pay the fee, there is no reason. A lot of people access their super - perhaps an option?

This forum has SOOOOOO much information. I seriously recommend spending several hours reading it. There are even surgeon recommendations on here plus people who have self funded :) 

Best of luck!

• Like 2

I was banded at 24 weighing 140kgs. Lost about 30kgs over a year and regained it back by about the end of the second year. I then lost 71kgs starting 8 years after banding and am now around 70kgs (at 170cm) which is healthy weight range. It didn't work for me for the first 8 years because I choose not to change my diet and continued to live on sugary crap (which all easily slide through the band eg chocolate and ice-cream). You can also eat a lot of calories over the course of the day under any WLS from continually grazing. So, any WLS can assist but you still have to be ready to change your diet which I wasn't when I was 24. I just thought back then that the WLS would do everything for me and there'd be no effort on my behalf. But as you lose more weight, it gets harder to keep losing weight as you need to have a better diet (calories wise). I've now had my band for 15 years and am generally quite happy that it continues to restrict quantity but it's still up to me not to eat around the band or I will easily regain weight.

• Like 1