Sign in to follow this  
Steveegirl

How long did it take you to lose your weight

I'm getting banded in July and was wondering how long it took u to loose all your weight. And how mutch weight have u lost. Even if u haven't reached your goal.

I lost 20 kg in 12 months, and I'm only half way to my goal.

My band works just fine, its my head that wont play ball.

There are a lot better efforts on here that mine.

• Like 2

20kg is amazing. I am worried about that that my head will say eat but I won't be able toor will eat the bad stuff . Will just have to deal with it when it happens. Thanks for your reply

I was banded 16th April 2014. I'd lost 20kgs around the 3 month mark, had a few stalls with no weight loss, then floating up and down. By 4 months I'd lost 30kg. I've had a couple of small un-fills and adjustments which halted my weight loss, but now I am at 36kg lost and it will be one year next week. I'm about half way to goal weight.

4 1/2 years down the track and so far have lost 72kgs and haven't been in any great rush.

The real fun starts when your mind wants you to eat but the band won't let you and then your mind overrides the hunger thoughts thanks to the band. 

I think we be battling with our weight issues for the remainder of our lives but with the help of the band we'll have a better chance of staying on track and keeping the unwanted weight off.

Banded in 2000. Didn't lose my weight until starting 8 years later finally hitting goal weight in 2014. SW 140, Goal weight 69 (bmi 23.5). CW 75.

• Like 2

5 years since lap banding and I am not at goal.

I went from 124-92kgs in 2 years before starting to slowly regain weight. I had my lap band removed and then was sleeved (for a variety of reasons that I won't go in to here).

I am currently sitting at 86-87kgs and looking pretty darned good (even if I do say so myself) - I now wear size 14-16 clothes from "normal" shops such as Katies, Rockmans, Suzanne Grae. My original goal weight is 85kgs, my ideal goal weight is 75kgs. I'm 41 years old, have PCOS and am 165cm tall.

I was banded in 2013 with a starting weight of 160kg. Nearly 2 yrs later I have lost 65kg / 80% of my excess weight. With another 15 kg to go until I reach my goal :)

I'm going to need a lot of cosmetic work done once I have reached my goal (or close to it lol ) to remove excess skin but I wouldn't change anything I would do it all again in a heart beat

• Like 5

I'm 13 months out and have lost all of my initial goal weight: start 115kg, goal 81kg. I'm now on track to get to 'healthy' as per my body fat estimates for my age, at about 70kg. But I'm abnormal.

My surgeon says it normally takes 18 months to 2 years to get to goal so I'm ahead of average, but I have done a heaping amount of exercise (I'm training for a half marathon) so that may have helped.

You lose quite quickly at the start but then it tapers off. I'm not expecting to hit my new goal for another year. But you'll feel the benefits pretty soon: expect compliments at about 20kg down!

Everyone is different. If you follow 'the rules' it will happen. Good luck!

• Like 1

I am 12 weeks in and I have only lost 1-2 KG's

I could have done this without the band.

has anyone else had slow weight loss?

• Like 1

Cassie - I had a slow start also - just keep plodding along and follow your diet plan set out by dietician and it will happen.  You just need to be patient.

@cassiepom everyone's weight loss is different. Did you lose weight prior to surgery eg. on a pre-op diet like shakes? Taking some measurements is also a good plan and then once a month measure yourself, as often the scales can suck! but the tape measure is a great motivator. Patience is not a virtue, it's a pain in the butt however still a necessity in this, keep doing your thing :)

I was banded in June 2010 at a weight of 206kgs and for the first 4 months lost little weight about 5-6 kgs then for the next 12 months lost over 100kgs and then kept it off for 3 years and had surgery to remove excess skin. Weight was down to 95kgs and sat around 97kgs for about 2 years...

In 2014 the band had slipped and had to be emptied in July and then removed in September and a sleeve was completed in December 2014. Weight has now hovered around 110-115 kgs with the sleeve and has been harder to work with than the band but still persevering.....

• Like 2

My highest weight was 170kg but I lost about 25kg over a few months before even starting on Optifast. I lost about 4kg on Opti which left me at 140kg on my day of surgery, and then in my first year of being banded I lost 51.9kg. (I was so cut as I'd wanted to lose 52kg over the year so that it was a nice even 1kg per week and I missed out by 100g ... lol) Seven months later I was down to 85kg which was my goal weight. I got as low as 82 point something but it was just too low for me so I decided to regain a couple of kilos. Almost a year later I'm at 86.4kg after hovering around 88-90kg for a while. I'll be honest, I prefer to be about 88kg even though it (just) tips me into an obese BMI because I just feel better and look better at that weight ... plus I don't have to try too hard to maintain it. I'm only lower at the moment cause I have an appointment to see a plastic surgeon next week re. tummy tuck and breast reduction and if my BMI is over 30 he won't put me on the list.

• Like 4

I was banded at around 114 kgs, starting weight was 129 and lost 15kgs on optifast over 5 weeks. I'm now sitting on around 87 ish, but did get as ;low as 78 before my band started playing up. My advice would be to take advantage of the first 6 months, commit to following the rules and exercising every day. My goal is 75, but my BMI says I should be 65. I'm not quite 18 months banded.

• Like 1

I was banded in Oct 2009. Was pushing 112kg's, lost around 5 kg's on Opti prior to the surgery. Got down to 54kg's when I fell pregnant with my daughter in Dec 2013. I lost most of my weight in the first 12 months and the rest over the following years..a few kg's here, a few kg's there until I reached 54 kg's.

The band worked incredibly well for me......until it stopped working altogether!!:( I literally woke up when I was around 23 wks pregnant with no restriction at all and to cut a long story short, I had to wait 6 weeks after my daughter was born to go in for what was meant and hoped to be a surgical repair on either a leaking port or tube. Instead my Surgeon discovered my lapband had eroded into my stomach and removed it immediately.

I then had a surgical revision in May this year (see my signature) where a Sleeve procedure was performed. Like @somers181 I also find the Sleeve more difficult in terms of losing weight so far and there are a few other aspects of it that I don't like, but there's many aspects of it that I do. I know I'm going to have to work harder this time around to get back down to my original/goal weight of 54 kg's.

Anyhoo...that's going off topic there. Please don't let my experience worry you either Luv . What happened to me is a fairly uncommon possible complication.

I wish you the very best of luck and much success:)

Edited by goldilocks1973

I was banded nearly 2 years ago and have lost nearly 50kgs. Most of it within the first 12 months. I haven't exercised or really focused on healthy eating in the last 6 months but am starting boot camp and healthy eating next Monday as I want to lose another 8kg. I'm currently between a 14-16 and would love to get to a 12-14. I'm happy with where I am for the first time in my life and not too stressed if I don't get to 65kg, I just want to tone up a bit. Thankfully I don't have much loose skin (other than bingo wings lol).

Took me about 9 months to reach my goal, then lost a bit after that. but mostly slowed and stopped.