Manda_H

I just don't think I was ready.

I had my lap band done only 2 weeks ago and I am already struggling to stick to the liquid stage. I am feeling really despressed about it. I am hungry all day every day, I wake during the night with bad hunger pains that keep me awake. I basically jumped into getting my lapband done. I went in for my consultation on a Thursday and had the surgery on the following Tuesday. I lost 3.2kg's in the first week and that gave me some motivation for a few days but then I went back to my depressive feelings again. Please tell me it gets a little easier once you have a fill? 

It does. How long have they got you on liquids? My surgeon had me on mushy food after a week.

• Like 1

It will get better. I've just had my second fill and still hungry a lot. It lessens with each fill though. Dont give up hope. I sucked diet jelly through the liquid stage and also Atkins diet shakes were life savers

• Like 1

He has me on liquids for 3 weeks. I am looking forward to mushy's so much! I have my first fill on the 30th of this month. Then what goes from then? Mushy's for how long?

I had my 6th fill a week ago. Banded in august 14. Taking it slow so that i can change bad habits. Also had to have an unfill early on (unrelated surgery ) once you do this your band can go funny and you need to take fills slowly. Restriction will come be patient.

• Like 1

For me, I was getting gas pain and hunger pain confused. I was waking up with stomach pains in the middle of the night. I took some panadol, walked around the house and went back to sleep. Turned out to be some gas pain/incision site pain. Don't get disheartened just yet. I was starving at week two, called the surgeon and he allowed me to commence mushy foods. Speak to your team, they're there to help. Good luck

• Like 1

Manda, generally, the liquid stage and mushy stage are two weeks each, then onto real food. Some surgeons advise differently, but its important to listen to yours.

• Like 1

Another thing to be aware of is the general anaesthetic often causes or increases feelings of depression. You have had a lot to deal with in such a short amount of time. If you are struggling or just not coping, contact your clinic. They are there to help you. They can even recommend a psychologist who might help you come to terms with things. So many people struggle with the post op diet (myself included) so please don't think it is indicative of the whole experience.

Keep up the good work - you have done so well already! Not everyone loses weight immediately :)

• Like 1

liquids suck, when your swelling goes down you get hungry. Yes it gets better!

Chin up sweetie - you'll be on normal food before you know it!

• Like 1

Hi Manda

I agree with all the above. I offer encouragement and support to you. Food has (and may continue to be) a demon for so many of us. For me it was a quick fix for everything from depression to anxiety to stress and well, to nothing! Meaning I'd just do it because I could! lol

Congratulations for how far you have come already. There may be alot more struggles to come, but alot of it is going to be incredibly life changing and fantastic... you can do this x

• Like 3

Thanks so much for the encouragement and support. It's sometimes good to know you're not alone in this. I have had depression since I was 17 so I kind of suspected it would rear its ugly head again, I used food for comfort. My killer is I love sugar so I am really trying to cope with these sugar cravings. I feel like I've lost a best friend lol as silly as that may sound. I weighed myself yesterday and have lost a further 1.4kg's. I am having a good day today and feeling positive but I think that's mainly due to being out and about all day.

• Like 4

Hi manda

Yes keep busy and do things that take your mind off food, do you work?..

I find when I get home I eat tea and then go do something else like bookwork or washing something boring and I tend to go to bed early and read my iPad mainly this site to try and keep myself occupied and motivated because if I sit there and watch TV I start to think about having a snack it's hard but power on talk to lots of people Go for a walk that's always good to Change your mood.

All the best chin up

Hutch

• Like 2

If your not ready to continue just yet, why have any fill, whats the rush. Get settled, recover, get support from a dietitian and go from there.

• Like 1

Hi Manda - I was done then my mum became very very sick with ovarian cancer, we have had all kinds of dramas with her in hospital in icu etc. I have only had one fill to date, and will not be having any more until things settle and I am not as stressed... I don't want to have the added stress of food getting stuck and more stress as I may not be able to eat something... granted I have not put any weigh on but I have not lost any in the last few weeks either.... do what you feel best and take your time.. there is another lady in here (sorry cant member her name) but she has had band in for something like 14 yrs and it never really helped her until years later as I think she loved the sliders and was not ready to commit.

You will do it in your own time, don't be so hard on yourself mate!  all the best

• Like 1

please be aware that some anaesthetics can also cause depression for some people, in addition, you have had major surgery and is resulting in a major change to your life - it can be difficult adjusting to "the new normal" so please know that your feelings are normal and you are not alone :wub:  :wub: :wub:  

• Like 1