Jamestp

Optifast? And do you need. Catheter?

I have A couple of questions about my sleeve operation I was hoping someone could answer?

I went for my pre emission appointment nd the doctor said I need to go on Optifast for two weeks.

I know it's to shrink my liver but when I had my band operation my surgeon never made me go on Optifast and I weighed 130 kgs then. I currently weight 102 kgs now so why would I need to go on Optifast for?

Also I read somewhere that when you get a sleeve they put a catheter in? Is this true? I'm not too wrapped in the idea of having a glass tube inserted into the end of my penis.

Thanks for the replies.

I was the opposite with the optifast. I had to do it with the band but when I got the sleeve I didn't have to do it because I weighed less.

As for the catheter I didn't have one. They want you up and about moving around as soon as possible after surgery

Every surgeon is different, but I did Opti for 2 weeks but also followed the pre and post op plan from Sally Johnson's book Your Complete Guide to Nutrition for Weight Loss Surgery (http://www.nutritionforweightlosssurgery.com/).

And no catheter.  I was up that night to go to the toilet, with assistance.

No, no catheter.

And certainly not glass even if they did, silicon.

My surgeon said the Optifast is not only for the liver but it helps prepare us for the liquid diet post op,

It certainly helped prepare me for liquid diet.

And no Catheter for me either.

I have A couple of questions about my sleeve operation I was hoping someone could answer?

Also I read somewhere that when you get a sleeve they put a catheter in? Is this true? I'm not too wrapped in the idea of having a glass tube inserted into the end of my penis.

Thanks for the replies.

It wasn't cannula was it?

I only ask because I know two ppl who read catheter recently and thought that same thing (with horror lol)

• Like 1

Catheter: bladder

Cannula: tube into body for IV fluids and pain relief etc.

If cannula, then yes, you will have that to provide you with IV fluids and pain relief etc.

• Like 1

Yeah maybe it was a cannular That I had read. Thank god for that..lol

Well I'm not sure what to do about the Optifast. Surely if my liver wasn't too big at 130 kgs then it's going to be even smaller at 102 kgs.

I think I would struggle going on Optifast. I'm 1 week to go as of this Thursday. Maybe I'll try it as of next Monday for a few days.

Another thing Ive read is that your in hospital for 3 days. But I was out the next day with my band op and my port replacement and band removal operations. In fact the last two ops I chose to stay in overnight as I was dog tired anyway but could have gone home that night.

Anyone been discharged the next day after a sleeve?

• Like 1

Lots of Americans get catheters, so if you're on other forums, you may have seen it mentioned quite a bit.  My surgeon said I won't have a catheter (or drain) as he wants us up asap afterwards.  

As for admission time, the surgeon said I would be in there for "two days" which could be taken to mean if I go in early on Day 1, I could be out late on Day 2, all being well (although I'm assuming he actually meant two nights).

The OptiFast diet for me includes a list of fruit and veg - did you get a full list from your dietitian?  Mine says I can substitute OptiFast bars and puddings for the shakes (except the coffee flavours) - I assume you could, too?

Call your clinic regarding optifast. It is a struggle but you want to do the best you can. Your clinic will clarify any confusion and then you will know for sure. It is standard procedure to do optifast for 2 weeks before but not every surgeon makes you. Clarify with your surgeon.

I was in hospital for a week but I had complications. I was told it was normal to be in for 2 or 3 nights though. The sleeve is a MUCH more serious operation compared to the band. They will be on the look out for leaks and infection so don't fight them on that - trust me! Remember, you have had most of an organ removed.

Catheter no, cannula yes. I would not have been happy with a catheter either! I was very thankful for the cannula though!

Good luck with your op :)

I emailed my surgeon and he said he wanted me to go on Optifast. But I can't work out why when he never asked me to go on it when I had my band and weighed a lot more. I figured he just said to.

The sheet they gave me said I can only have veges, no fruit.

To be honest at the moment I'm just eating anything really, maccas, roast beef and gravy sandwiches for lunch and drinking coffee in the morning and alcohol at night but usually just a couple of beers after work.

I don't get why I can't drink coffee?

I suppose I should get some Optifast shakes and bars from the chemist and start tomorrow. But it's going to be hard. I will have some fruit with it also. Even if I just started eating healthier I suppose that would be better than what I'm eating now.

I'm pretty sure it was an Amercian website that I read about the catheter so that makes sense.

Yeah maybe it was a cannular That I had read. Thank god for that..lol

Well I'm not sure what to do about the Optifast. Surely if my liver wasn't too big at 130 kgs then it's going to be even smaller at 102 kgs.

I think I would struggle going on Optifast. I'm 1 week to go as of this Thursday. Maybe I'll try it as of next Monday for a few days.

Another thing Ive read is that your in hospital for 3 days. But I was out the next day with my band op and my port replacement and band removal operations. In fact the last two ops I chose to stay in overnight as I was dog tired anyway but could have gone home that night.

Anyone been discharged the next day after a sleeve?

Well see there you go! Cannula it is (hopefully) hehe much more friendly ;)

• Like 1

I had coffee Optis plus one coffee a day.

A bit of tough love here - if you can't do optifast for a few weeks, how are you going to manage the post surgery liquid phase? If you do optifast, commit to 7 days at least - the first 4 days are the worst, so get through those, stay busy, exercise and keep motivated.

• Like 4

Well tomorrow is seven days from surgery so I'll go and buy some Optifast and try to stick with it. I've put on 3 kgs and now weigh 105 kgs, so I probably need to anyway to at least get back down a bit in weight

Guaranteed that pretty much all overweight people have fatty livers, in fact they say there are fit skinny people out there with fatty livers. The optifast is done to reduce the the fatty liver. They have to lift up your liver during the operation to get to the stomach and if it is fatty there is more chance that the liver bleed and be fragile and you can have complications. It's a lot more serious operation than the operation for the band. My surgeon said he has had to stop the operation and not do the sleeve because the liver was too fragile, imagine the embarrassment of coming out of the GA to be told the op wasn't done because your liver was too bad because you hadn't stuck to the preop diet. I would do as your dr says after all they are the experts who have trained for years and they know what they are talking about.

• Like 4