Hi everyone,

So after thinking about lapband and doing more research than I thought comprehendable over the last 2 years I have decided that there is no reason not to go through with it, what am I waiting for!  :)  

I have an appointment on May 12th at The Centre for Bariatric Surgery (CBS) with Stewart Skinner. I have already had my blood work done and all the results were excellent! I have also sent in my patient profile etc.

My questions are as follows regarding the process/payments etc:

1 - I am wanting to withdraw from my super how long from seeing the surgeon did yours get released?

2- Has anyone borrowed through MAC Credit? My debts outweigh my assets but my income covers everything with plenty to spare so I can afford to repay. (I am looking into this as backup if he can get me in before July and my super hasnt been released then i can use the super to repay the loan)

- How long after your first appointment with your surgeon did you have surgery?? I am unable to take leave in July/August from work and really dont want to wait until September so I was wondering if there are cases were he could get me in within 4-6 weeks of seeing him?

- Has anyone had Mr Skinner? If so what was the experience like?

- Has anyone been with CBS? Do you have to pay for your Optifast or is that included in the cost?

- Has anyone paid with their super or self funded for lapband with CBS and if so how much did it cost all up?

Sorry for so many questions but I know how amazing you all are at helping each other out and I hope to be able to repay the favour as I go through this journey with all of you!!

Thanks,

Jenna :D

Is there a reason why you not having surgery in Geelong?

Hi Nessa,

I contacted CBS to ask some questions and they were so incredibly helpful and organised. Also the head surgeon was the one who introduced lapband to Australia. I already feel comfortable with them and I havent even been for my appointemnt yet lol! I didnt look into Geelong at all, it didnt really cross my mind actually now that I think about it! Ive heard great things about the Geelong surgeon though!

There are 2 in Geelong, though both tend to favour sleeve over band.  Darrin Goodall-Wilson was my surgeon, but he no longer does self funded.  Matthew Leong does though.

I'd be happy to answer any sleeve questions if you have any :)

Oh thankyou! I havent had an opportunity to speak to anyone with a sleev yet as everyone I know has the band!

I was wondering what made you choose the sleeve over band? the deciding factors?

Whilst sleeve is permanent, I didn't want to have to deal and worry about flipping ports, erosion, constant fills/unfills, intolerance to certain foods etc.  I wanted a set and forget.  I initially saw Darrin wanting the band as I myself didn't know much about the sleeve, but once I went away to think about it more, I felt that it was the best choice for me.

I myself have not had any complications related to the sleeve.  Smooth recovery with minimal pain.  Home after 2 days.  Will be 3 years in June and I last saw Darrin at the 2 year mark last year.  Don't need to see him again unless I have issues, which I haven't.

I know a few of my friends have had issues with their bands and converted to sleeve.

If you want, would be happy to chat in person over coffee if that makes things easier for you.

Fantastic that your operation went so smoothly and look how far you have come it's awesome!

I think the band appeals to me mainly on the basis that it is adjustable - I am still quite young and want to have kids (lots of kids! lol) and wanted to ability to change the amount I could intake dependant on my childs needs. I dont know how that sort of thing works with the sleeve? I have thought about getting the band until I have kids and then swapping to the sleeve after??

Things still work the same with sleeve.  I'm on a FB page where there are a lot of women who have had children with the sleeve and things have progressed smoothly and without issue.

The FB is secret so it won't appear on your newsfeed.  If you want to join, inbox me your email address and I'll get the ball rolling.

Hi Jenna,

Welcome! I've answered some of your questions below in italics, hope it helps :)

- I am wanting to withdraw from my super how long from seeing the surgeon did yours get released?

From the time I put in my application until when it was released was about a month. However I had to get my GP to rewrite the recommendation letter as it wasn't worded correctly. If that hadn't happened, it would have only taken a couple of weeks.

2- Has anyone borrowed through MAC Credit? My debts outweigh my assets but my income covers everything with plenty to spare so I can afford to repay. (I am looking into this as backup if he can get me in before July and my super hasnt been released then i can use the super to repay the loan)

I used my super, but I think I've heard of super funds not releasing money if you've already paid using a loan of any type, as if you can get a loan, you shouldn't be accessing your super. I'm not 100% sure on this one, but I believe I had heard someone mention it happen to them on here.

- How long after your first appointment with your surgeon did you have surgery?? I am unable to take leave in July/August from work and really dont want to wait until September so I was wondering if there are cases were he could get me in within 4-6 weeks of seeing him?

I saw my surgeon in September 2012, and if my PHI 12 months was up, I could've been booked with a couple of weeks. However, I had to wait until November of 2012 once my 12 month waiting period was up.

- Has anyone been with CBS? Do you have to pay for your Optifast or is that included in the cost?

I went with CBS, and my surgeon was Professor Paul O'Brien. Off the top of my head I believe the out of pocket expenses when I had surgery were $4350. Which covers surgery, and aftercare for life. I wasn't required to do Optifast, but I believe that is an additional expense if you need to.

- Has anyone paid with their super or self funded for lapband with CBS and if so how much did it cost all up?

My PHI covered most of it, I only paid the out of pocket, which as I mentioned was $4350 via early release of super.

• Like 1

- I am wanting to withdraw from my super how long from seeing the surgeon did yours get released?

2- Has anyone borrowed through MAC Credit? My debts outweigh my assets but my income covers everything with plenty to spare so I can afford to repay. (I am looking into this as backup if he can get me in before July and my super hasnt been released then i can use the super to repay the loan)

i have also her of people getting a loan then there super wouldn't released because they have already paid for it. u need to provide bank statements to show that u can not pay n that this is your last resort.

i am with CBS will be getting my band in july my first appointment was in april and i could of had it done with in 3 week after if i had the cash.

- Has anyone had Mr Skinner? If so what was the experience like?

my surgent is dr burton 

optifast in not included. my dr said i didn't need to do it. he said u need to be about 150kg then he would ask me to do it

i have taken my super out but i didn't have enough super 2 cover the cost of surgery so i am out of pocket $2000. my band is costing me $1990 not sure if it varys from doctor to doctor. it took me 2 months to get my super out u need all the right paper work your doc has to tick the life threatening box on your Appalachian form. just dubble check your paper work then check it agin because if they need more info it will take longer.

good luck you will get there just like we all have  :)

• Like 1

Had my appointment and all is a go ahead! Should receive my super paperwork back from the surgeon by tomorrow then i can send it off to DHS! Fingers, toes and all flexible limbs crossed that it gets approved!

• Like 3

So which surgeon did you decide on?

Hi Jenna

Stewart Skinner is my surgeon and I have nothing but good things to say about him. I had my surgery on 9th April at the avenue and all went well. I have had no real issues with my band and had my first fill a couple of weeks ago.

Good luck! I look forward to hearing about how you go.

Hi there people

I have a millon questions to.

I really need to get this done for so many reason :(

I would like to get the sleeve done not the band

My questions are about process/payments etc:

How can you pay for the sleve if you done have enought in your super to cover it.

Has anyone use MAC credit,are they any good.

How much dose it cost to have the sleve done,like self funded as l need it done now,cant wait on the public list as its way to long.

Who is the best doctor see,l dont care how far away there are, l just need it done.

Nessa 1977 can you tell me about your sleeve

OMI...what exactly do you want to know?

Consider taking out PHI and wait out the year.

Where are you located?

Hi there

Nessa1977

I just need to know where l can get it done asap as l need it done for so many reason,if it was for just weight loss l would wait or take out private health

I live in Victoria Horsham

I was talking to another lady and she got it dont super quick on the pulbic list there she lives,why cant we do that in victoria.

I spoke with DHS today as I needed to prove that i could cover the gap between surgery cost and what i would receive from my superannuation payout. Just had to send off a bank statement. He said it will be approved and ill get formal notification via post in the next 2 weeks. So excited!! It hasn't even been 2 weeks since I put my application in! Shame I now have to wait until August because of work, but none the less still pumped!!!

• Like 2

Hi there

Nessa1977

I just need to know where l can get it done asap as l need it done for so many reason,if it was for just weight loss l would wait or take out private health

I live in Victoria Horsham

I was talking to another lady and she got it dont super quick on the pulbic list there she lives,why cant we do that in victoria.

I understand that you want the surgery now, but have you really thought about it?  Looked into it?  See if it is the right thing for you?

There is a public list at the Alfred Hospital but the wait can be upwards of 3 years.

Stephen Clifforth in Hamilton does sleeves.  A few people I know have travelled to see him.  I don't know what his prices are though.  As I don't think there are any sleeve surgeons in Ballarat, consider him.

Firstly, go see your GP to get a referral and see the surgeon and go from there.  Find out how much things will cost with PHI and without PHI.

I paid approx $3500 with PHI in June 2012 in Geelong.

If you have access to your super, there is that option.

I spoke with DHS today as I needed to prove that i could cover the gap between surgery cost and what i would receive from my superannuation payout. Just had to send off a bank statement. He said it will be approved and ill get formal notification via post in the next 2 weeks. So excited!! It hasn't even been 2 weeks since I put my application in! Shame I now have to wait until August because of work, but none the less still pumped!!!

Hi there JennaKettle wow thats awesome,,what do you mean you spoke to DHS ?? How did you get on to them about getting this done.

Can you please tell me more about this please :D

I understand that you want the surgery now, but have you really thought about it?  Looked into it?  See if it is the right thing for you?

There is a public list at the Alfred Hospital but the wait can be upwards of 3 years.

Stephen Clifforth in Hamilton does sleeves.  A few people I know have travelled to see him.  I don't know what his prices are though.  As I don't think there are any sleeve surgeons in Ballarat, consider him.

Firstly, go see your GP to get a referral and see the surgeon and go from there.  Find out how much things will cost with PHI and without PHI.

I paid approx $3500 with PHI in June 2012 in Geelong.

If you have access to your super, there is that option.

Hi there

3 years is way to long to have to wait,thats a joke.

I have heard about him,ill get a referral and go see him and see what he think as  he is the closest to me.

I have though about this for a long time and have been looking into it and reading what l can to know as much as l can,its not all about lossing the weight there are lots a resons why this needs to be done.

I have 4 boys to look after and be the best l can be for them.

What is the point in paying a shit load of money for PHI if you still need to find $3500 at the end of it.

Cheers

I got all the forms and submitted them about 2 weeks ago. They rang me to tell me what extra information i needed to provide. If you go to the DHS website look up early release of superannuation on compassionate grounds. Tells you what steps to take. Also your surgeon when you choose one would have done this before and know what they need to fill out and provide.

Because I'd rather have PHI in the event that something happens and I needed it to cover my tummy tuck and revision.

There are pros and cons of having PHI.  I paid approx $1500 in PHI during the 12 months I had to wait.  It's whatever suits you.

I'd rather save my super for when I retire.  But that's just me.

I got all the forms and submitted them about 2 weeks ago. They rang me to tell me what extra information i needed to provide. If you go to the DHS website look up early release of superannuation on compassionate grounds. Tells you what steps to take. Also your surgeon when you choose one would have done this before and know what they need to fill out and provide.

Hi jennakettle

Ok that's cool,so lm a little confused about what DHS is doing,are they just helping you with the forms and are you using your super to fund the band.

Who are you going to get it done with and what is it coasting for it.

To get your superannuation released from your super fund you have to get approval from DHS. Once they grant you approval you then apply directly to your superfund to have them release the funds into your account. My surgery will be just short of 13500

Hi

Oh l see,bugger

I don't have enough money in mine.

I would need to find half of it somewhere else so l could get it done.

Why dose life have to be hard lol

So who are you seeing again,it it private or public

Im seeing stewart skinner at CBS in Glen Iris. Private. I applied with Mac Credit and wasn't eligible as i just brought a new car!