newb_rach_2015

Restriction in the first days after surgery

I had the band placed two days ago yet I am not really feeling any restriction. I expected that I would especially considering the swelling. I can get water and other liquids down really easily, I haven't and wont be trying anything pureed or solid until it is time but it feels as though I could. Has anyone else had this experience? I know it is still early days but I'd feel better knowing if others had gone through this too.

Same here, was not really hungry, but could manage puree if i let myself.

• Like 1

To be honest I didn't really feel any restriction to about the 4th fill.  But at the start I didn't feel at all hungry for 4 weeks so that's all good.  Just keep going with your schedule of drinking and then moving onto mushies etc.  You need to give yourself time for healing and swelling to go down.

• Like 1

I felt the same way, however I am sure if you actually did try something other than fluids you would definitely feel it.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I will stick to the schedule...I do find I am hungry more than I expected aswell but I will mention it to the surgeon when I see him

Hi I've just had my 4th fill and I'm 4 months post op and it's taken that long for me to feel any restriction I know I'm banded now and it's just kicked in for me to eat slow and steady as I keep getting stuck with my night meal. So be patient I know I wasn't. But shit I do no now .......

• Like 1

Thank's Hutch that makes me feel a little better, I'll try to be patient (no exactly my strong suit though! :/ )

Most people experience this, from those I know who have had it done or have written about it in here. Some Surgeons put some fill in during surgery, some do not. Some people swell more than others thus feeling more restriction, some do not. Some of us eat for different reasons eg. tummy hunger, head hunger, boredom hunger...so will "feel" hungrier than others and some will not. There is alot of variables at play.

The only consist one is that your body has had surgery and it is in healing mode. As much as it may love a steak sanger with all the trimmings or similar, we all know it can not cope with it. Following the food guidelines is super important to ensure our band mechanics heal right inside.

In the meantime, for me I started on Plan Mode at this time after surgery. Food plans, exercise plans etc. Started to get my ducks in a row for my new life. Made myself busy to the point where food was not a "go to" option in my day. For me food was habit, boredom, hunger and emotional eating. Time of day didn't matter. So restriction or not, retraining our brains (and hands) to find other things to do is a major part of this overall adventure :)

• Like 1

Hi henrywashere

Yes just starting to see a loss I think I have dropped 2 kg since my last fill definetly not eating as. Much it's actually getting hard to disguise it now we had a Mother's Day tea last night with family and I was struggling to finish my tea So I had to make up that I had a crook stomach in front of everyone and that's why I couldn't finish me meal because I haven't told any one about my little secret yet.

So getting a little more motivated now that I can feel be restriction

• Like 1

Hutch I try to keep to 1/2 - 3/4 cup meals - its easier when you are home though than eating out. I just serve myself that amount out sometimes I don't get through it all as I give up the urg to eat in the chew chew chew chew and think oh that's enough.  I don't find I a ever hungry anymore and am not looking for "snacks" or "something nice to eat" between meals.  I used to drink a lot of coffee and now I am leaning more towards tea.  If I am having a bit of a stuck day at work I work through lunch and tell everyone how busy I am I don't even have time to stop for lunch to cover it up. 

Hi henrywashere

What's a typical day for you with food

What do you eat for lunch and tea say .......

And do you crave sweets or chocolate still...

Hi henrywashere

What's a typical day for you with food

What do you eat for lunch and tea say .......

And do you crave sweets or chocolate still...

Hi newb_rach

I was not hungry as such, but i did start thinking about food much more in the 2nd week.  I had my first fill just after 3 weeks.  I put on a little bit of weight when i started to move to solids.  once i had the fill i was not hungry and couldn't eat much and the weight is starting to drop off.  They key is to stop eating once you feel satisfied!!

How have you been going?

• Like 1

I also find I have to chew so much I actually give up on eating sometimes!!!!!!

HI Hutch

I am a bit of a creature of habit and tend to eat the same things over and over.  I have changed from summer to winter food.  I start off my morning with a cup of hot tea to melt any excess goop from the top of my band with my morning tablets - I find I am quite tight in the morning so guage if/when I am going eat.  Sometimes I know I wont get my tablets down so take them to work.  I find I am not hungry at all in the mornings.  For summer I was having a green smoothie for breakfast which I made and took to work with me, and drank in 2 sittings at about 9am and then maybe 10.30.  For lunch I was having a small chicken and salad wrap.  I have changed to my winter menu now.  I am having porridge which I take to work and depending on whether I am swallowing well or not have that about 9.30ish.  (previously I always ate breakfast at home before I went to work). I have 1/3 cup of porridge made on milk or I have been having milky rice with my birdseed blend and a tbsp. of pureed apple either or.  Its probably between 1/2 - 3/4 cup food sometimes I eat it all sometimes not.  Some days I still feel quite tight in the am and might have 1 of 2 spoons of porridge and go hmmm this isn't going down right and don't eat anymore, and then just try to get down a few more cups of tea at work but no more food (which miraculously I don't feel hungry).  I've had a couple of days that I have thrown up all day at work and don't want to have to go through that again.  For lunch now I am looking for something warmer and have been having Mexican which I cook up a big pot and have that for lunch for the whole week.  I put in capsicum shallots mushrooms tomatoes garlic and a tin of refried beans I simmer that away to it thickens up - I have that made in the sandwich press on a small tortilla with a sprinkle of cheese.  Sometimes I feel like something at afternoon tea and I have 3-4 of the round vita weet wholemeal crackers with organic hummos, or I may have 1/3 yoghurt with 2tbsp of bird seeds mixed in.  For dinner I have the same 1/2 - 3/4 cup of maybe curried chicken, chicken tikka, roast chicken steamed veg.  I might have a couple of tbsp. of yoghurt later or maybe a biscuit but not every night.  I find I am not hungry and its more of a I "want" something to eat later on with a cuppa but to try to make it just a small thing.

I have to admit I have not been a saint and have the odd piece of chocolate here and there and maybe a couple of spoons of ice cream at night. 

I find myself having lots of cups of tea at the moment where before I was a real coffee feind.  On the weekends I drink more ChaiTea but at work I have an instant coffee after lunch.  I really struggled to get down fluids to start with because I just couldn't work out when to have it.  I am happy with where I am sitting at the moment and figured I "have learnt living with the band".  I've got an appointment in 2 weeks for another fill but I am going to cancel it as I am happy with where I am at the moment.  I will assess in another couple of weeks and see if I think I need it then.  I really find I am not that hungry at all.  Sometimes I think its 11am and I haven't had any food yet I better have something and do but not because I am hungry but because the dietician says I should.  I am trying to pump up my calcium intake at the moment because I wasn't having enough.

• Like 1

I'm going ok, healing pretty nicely. I'm definitely looking forward to my first fill as I'm hungry as per usual most of the time but have been eating less than I was, and eating better foods for the most part.

How do you go with water, I expected to not be able to drink as fast as I could before but I find it hard not to skull it down, prob just the lack of restriction though. Can you stretch if you drink water to quickly or is it just with food? Do you just go by how it feels or do you have to be quite careful with it...

I can drink as much water as I like. I still drink diet soft drink as well. I am also tight in the mornings, and sometimes get really hungry but it passes. I have porridge most mornings, around 9.30 or 10ish, and just gauge how it goes down. I try for the same foods that I used to eat, but in much smaller amounts. Bread, pastry, wraps etc are a problem at the moment, but aren't always. I like the restriction I currently have, and don't want any more due to constant pb-ing and difficulty with everything getting stuck.