All the best Tish-hope they can sort it all out for you.  Such a bugger when this happens. ;(

I have an appointment at the bariatric clinic week after next and as I'm still having problems with hunger and being able to eat like a beast, and because I'm still waiting on the gastroscopy, I'm going to ask for a barium swallow test.

• Like 2

Erosion is the condition in which the band erodes away the stomach where the band and the stomach come in contact with one another, eventually resulting in a hole being worn in the stomach wall. That's exactly what happened to me. It's got nothing to do with the position of the band around the stomach as the band goes through the stomach with erosion hence no restriction whatsoever. The band most certainly doesn't keep functioning as normal believe me!!

The fact all your fluid is in your stomach indicates on the face of it, that it's not band erosion. I can tell you before mine was discovered, I had my fluid drawn out, put back in, 1ml added and the fluid withdrawn again to check the level only to find that it had leaked right through. I knew how much fluid I had in there before I noticed the loss of restriction and most of that had gone as well leaving only maybe 2 mls left from what was just under 7 mls before the band went right through my stomach.

And now I remember why I don't come on here. Just because in your case your band was damaged by your stomach does not imply it happens in all cases of band erosion. The only 100% guaranteed symptoms for band erosion are overeating/appetite and resultant weight gain. Some cases DO NOT have any damage to the band. Therefore loss of fill and band erosion are not mutually inclusive.

Edited by BackinBlack

And now I remember why I don't come on here. Just because in your case your band was damaged by your stomach does not imply it happens in all cases of band erosion. The only 100% guaranteed symptoms for band erosion are overeating/appetite and resultant weight gain. Some cases DO NOT have any damage to the band. Therefore loss of fill and band erosion are not mutually inclusive.

Ummm...the BAND eroded my stomach and not the other way around?? You obviously have no idea what you're talking about and why would you as you haven't been through it!!!

FYI..Weight regain/loss of restriction is NOT "The only 100% guarantee" of band erosion either. They are other signs/symptoms if you'd bothered to do your research.

You're the one that asked for help/input etc  so not my problem if you don't like what you hear. Probably best you go back to wherever it is you came from if you're going to reply to my post with that kind of "know it all attitude", narkiness and hostility.

Edited by goldilocks1973
  • Like 1

@tishtish Sorry to hear you're still having problems Luv. The barium swallow is a good idea. Best of luck and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed it's nothing too serious. Will look out for your update:)

• Like 1

You determine it is not band erosion based on the fact that the band isn't leaking and state that I have no idea.... Just wow. This site used to be about being supportive to bandits (as we all were bandits), now not so much. If that makes me hostile and snarky, so be it.

Anyhow, TishTish, I have decided to follow the same example and fly down to Sydney to get it sorted out. Rather than try and find a surgeon in Brisbane, need to make arrangements soon as the new 'symptom' for me is waking up choking at night and coughing up bile/food. Delightful :(

Edited by BackinBlack

You determine it is not band erosion based on the fact that the band isn't leaking and state that I have no idea.... Just wow. This site used to be about being supportive to bandits (as we all were bandits), now not so much. If that makes me hostile and snarky, so be it.

Anyhow, TishTish, I have decided to follow the same example and fly down to Sydney to get it sorted out. Rather than try and find a surgeon in Brisbane, need to make arrangements soon as the new 'symptom' for me is waking up choking at night and coughing up bile/food. Delightful :(

You obviously have comprehension issues (among other things) as I didn't determine anything...Go back and read my post properly. I said " I'm guessing it's not band erosion".  You are hostile and you are snarky for no reason other than you disagreed with my opinion. An opinion you asked for in the first place so don't try manipulate the situation by making yourself out to be the victim.

And on that note, I won't be wasting another second of my precious time communicating with an ingrate like you. I've said what I had to say, end of story. Goodbye:)

• Like 1

As an Administrator on this site I would like to remind everyone to read the terms and conditions of this site. This post is not aimed at any one particular post/s or person/s but if we could please stay on topic otherwise posts will be deleted.

good luck Tishtish I hope you get your band issue sorted 

Edited by Princess
  • Like 5

Thanks Princess. I have an appointment tomorrow so will hopefully get a bit further along towards finding out what's going on.

• Like 5

OK ... I had my check up at the clinic on Monday just gone and was lucky enough to see the same surgeon I saw the previous time and he remembered me. He was surprised that I hadn't had the gastroscopy yet so called the waiting list office and asked them to change my category (from 2 to 1) telling them that if I do have erosion they need to get onto it quick smart. So today I received a letter from the hospital asking me to go in for the gastroscopy in just a couple of weeks time, which is a great relief for me.

I think I've possibly developed a bit of a pouch this week due to my band being a little too tight because whilst I don't have reflux coming up my throat I can taste yukkiness, for want of a better word, coming from much lower down, like there's food festering in a pocket somewhere, but as I said, no actual reflux, no choking at night, no pain. Well, no pain other than my usual left sided pain under my ribs. Also, with regard to that pain the surgeon said if the gastroscopy shows nothing they'll do a colonoscopy and if that shows nothing they might need to do revision surgery to move the lap band to a better position. He said if they do that it's a more complicated surgery than the original. Personally ... I think if they're going to go in and change anything they can just revise me to bypass but I'll cross that bridge if I come to it. I asked if the pain could possibly be being caused by adhesions and he didn't really give me an answer ... he was actually a bit evasive about it. My rationale is that I've already had 2 gastroscopies that showed nothing so it's obviously not being caused my anything on the inside of my stomach therefore it must be something on the outside of it ... that is, adhesions.

Anyway ... that's me for now. I'll give further updates after the gastroscopy.

Oh, was just reminded by yet another burp ... I've been quite burpy the last few days as well. Much more so than usual.

Edited by tishtish
  • Like 4

how frustrating!

• Like 1

Testing my ticker

Update: I had my gastroscopy done Tuesday just gone and everything's come back fine. No pouch, no hernia, no slippage and no erosion. I'm so relieved. You know, like most people I guess, I occasionally overeat my band and sometimes get food stuck and have to vomit and always worry that I'm doing damage and causing a pouch. It's reassuring to know that my occasional slip ups aren't as bad as I imagine them to be. They've asked that I see the surgeon for the official results in 4 weeks time but in Alfred Hospital bariatric clinic speak that means I'll see him in 8 weeks. From what he said last time I saw him that'll mean the next step is a[nother] colonoscopy and if that comes back normal, that is, nothing visible on the inside of my large intestine, that they'll do revision surgery, I imagine to move the band to a more comfortable position for me.

I'm still alternating between periods of no restriction to too much restriction and sometimes it's just painful to eat. And of course, the never ending ULQ pain. Otherwise ... I still love my band.

• Like 4

I'm having an ultrasound Monday morning for suspected hernia.... couldn't get it done prior to Europe so will see what happens tomorrow.

Glad to hear you are in the clear Trish! x