I had a check up at my clinic today and the surgeon wants me to have a gastroscopy because he thinks my band may have eroded into my stomach. He thinks this because for months now I've had next to no restriction at all and have been able to eat pretty much as I could before being banded ... except for a day or so before my period when I have a little restriction. As you can imagine I've regained a few kilos because whilst I've taken advantage of my ability to eat more by feeding my face with tonnes of veges (partly for the nutrients, partly to try to fill up) I've also not had the much needed restriction when I've been eating 'sometimes' foods. Also, because of the lack of restriction I'm hungry all.the.time. Seriously ... I can have a decent meal and be hungry half an hour later, sometimes a decent meal doesn't satisfy me at all. I'm going to bed with a grumbly hungry tummy most nights.

So he checked for a leak (withdrew all the fluid from my band) and it's all there and then put in an extra half mill. He wants to see how I go with that and have the gastroscopy and go back to see him in a month ... which will be two months. You know, public system and all. He also said it's possible that I've just lost a bit of restriction due to having lost so much weight because we lose fat around our organs as well.

He said if the band is eroded it has to be removed but that I could then be re-banded, sleeved or have by-pass once it's healed. From all the reading I've done I thought it was a bad idea to be re-banded after erosion because it's very likely to just happen again. I asked how long I'd be waiting if I had to have another WLS done and he was a bit cagey about it saying, "Not long .....". I wouldn't want to have to wait another 4 years like I waited for my original lap band. Imagine how much weight I'd regain in that time ! I couldn't deal with that.

What are people's experiences with lap band erosion ? And then having further WLS. In particular ... in the public system.

• Like 2

hey tish....what can I say except for FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKK! that really sucks arse :(

I know that there are a few ex-bandits due to erosion around. Some on this site, many on the following Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1522935474586942/

I'm not trying to promote this FB page/group, except that there are A LOT of ex-bandits on there that can share their experiences with you.

All the best :)

• Like 2

I'm hopeful that this fill will fix the problem. I'm on fluids until Thursday so I won't have any real idea until then whether or not I have restriction so I'll just keep my fingers crossed until then. I had a thickish fruit/protein powder smoothie last night and felt a little restriction so I guess that's a good sign. I don't mind having [another] gastroscopy. It's kind of like a band check up. They'll be able to tell me not just if there's erosion, but also if I've developed a pouch or maybe even a slip? If I do have erosion it's pretty shitty but I'll deal with it. My biggest fear is regaining weight and without a band, as I've learned without restriction the last few months, will power only goes so far. The lapband really is a useful tool ... when it works.

I'm not a surgeon but I don't really think erosion fits the bill in my case as I have had some restriction when my period has been due and I don't have pain or any sort of port infection.

Thanks for the info re. the Facey page, Kazbo. I'll have a look.

• Like 3

Fingers crossed its just cause of your weight loss and no real drama to add a little more fill to take up the slack.

• Like 3

What causes the erosion, does the band become detached from around the stomach and is erosion something all us bandits will eventually have.

The surgeon was saying something about it being caused by infection. From the reading I've done only up to 10% of lap bands will erode and it's more prevalent in people who drink alcohol (excessively I imagine), take NSAIDs and who have gastritis. I've had to stop drinking red wine, not that I had that much anyway because it was causing very bad bouts of gastritis. I'm not talking about a lot of red wine ... just one or two glasses was enough to cause problems. I've also had to cut out too much chilli and other spicy foods. I take NSAIDs very rarely because they also don't agree with me. I've also read that having a band adjusted too tightly can make erosion more likely.

Erosion happens when the band moves through the stomach wall into the stomach, with the stomach growing over it and if left for long enough the band can completely erode to the inside of the stomach.

• Like 1

fingers crossed that it is not an erosion and there is nothing 'sinister' going on!! best of luck.

In spite of all my personal issues and feelings towards the band, I really hope you guys have all the success in the world with it. I always feel sad when a veteran bandit has issues, hell, we're like a WLS family!!

• Like 4

Good luck Tish when we catching up for that coffee on the peninsula ?..

Hutch......

• Like 1

Damn Tish, hope everything works out ok for you

• Like 1

Good luck Tish when we catching up for that coffee on the peninsula ?..

Hutch......

Whenever you want Hutch. I'm pretty flexible re. days and times. PM me when you're free and we'll organise something. :)

That's horrible Tish I hope everything gets sorted out for you ASAP!

There's not really any such thing as ASAP in the public system but I'm sure all will be fine. I imagine if it were any sort of medical emergency the surgeon would have arranged something quicker. He didn't seem too fussed. But then again, he was a skinny lil mini with nothing to lose, or should I say, gain, by losing a lap band ... lol.

I'm going back to mushies tomorrow and I'm hoping for some restriction.

• Like 3

Well bugger Trish, this wasn't part of the deal. Time to get back onto the ABC radio and start drumming up some ruckus about waiting times for public hospitals for those requiring WLS repairs (sounds like a car service!). If you have already waited the time once, I do not think you should have to wait again! Especially not for radio celebs such as yourself lol. :)

Props for being vigilant in being on top of this and catching it sooner rather than later. Here's hoping a quick fix is found and all is back to normal in no time.

Take care x

• Like 3

Am sorry to hear about the possible erosion Luv😦 My band did erode into my stomach and it wasn't due to any of the reasons you've listed as I was a little over halfway through my pregnancy with DD when it happened.

I literally woke up one morn with no restriction whatsoever. Couldn't do a Barium swallow xray to confirm due to being Preggo so had to wait until 6 wks after she was born to go have exploratory surgery.

Surgeon was expecting to find a leaking port or tube but found an eroded band instead @ removed it. Said I'd have to wait a minimum of 4 months until I could have a sleeve done as the hole in my stomach needed to fully heal first.

I went public too @ had my sleeve surgery on Tues 25/05..7 months later😊 Have posted in detail over in the Sleeve section of the forum if you want to know in more detail.

Best of luck Luv. Finger's crossed they find no erosion.

P.S...it can also erode due to excessive vomiting/slimeing over a long period of time @ sometimes there's no obvious cause.

• Like 1

Good luck Trish, hope it works out the best for you.

• Like 1

Am sorry to hear about the possible erosion Luv My band did erode into my stomach and it wasn't due to any of the reasons you've listed as I was a little over halfway through my pregnancy with DD when it happened.

I literally woke up one morn with no restriction whatsoever. Couldn't do a Barium swallow xray to confirm due to being Preggo so had to wait until 6 wks after she was born to go have exploratory surgery.

Surgeon was expecting to find a leaking port or tube but found an eroded band instead @ removed it. Said I'd have to wait a minimum of 4 months until I could have a sleeve done as the hole in my stomach needed to fully heal first.

I went public too @ had my sleeve surgery on Tues 25/05..7 months later Have posted in detail over in the Sleeve section of the forum if you want to know in more detail.

Best of luck Luv. Finger's crossed they find no erosion.

P.S...it can also erode due to excessive vomiting/slimeing over a long period of time @ sometimes there's no obvious cause.

Thanks Goldilocks. I've never really had what I'd call excessive vomiting or sliming over a long period of time. I've always been really conscious of not vomiting more than I need to so I avoid it as best I can by eating slowly etc. A 7 month wait in the public system is pretty good. That makes me feel much better.

I'm feeling a lot more like it won't be erosion as I've gone back onto normal foods yesterday and have felt some restriction. Not nearly as much restriction as I would have hoped for considering I have 0.5ml more than my previous tightest which was too tight for me, and I had no trouble eating foods that previously were a bit hard to get down (bread, vege burger, brussell sprouts), but some, and I imagine if my band were eroded that I'd have no restriction at all no matter how much fluid was put in.

I'll pop over to the sleeve forum and read in more detail though.

• Like 1

My friend had 3 bands which failed then converted to sleeve.  I know a lot of people who have converted from band to sleeve.

I went to see my surgeon for a band, but he explained the sleeve to me.  Less to worry about, set and forget.  Yes more risks associated but I didn't have to worry about flipping, erosions, fills in and out.

Happy to chat re sleeve if you have questions.

• Like 1

My friend had 3 bands which failed then converted to sleeve.  I know a lot of people who have converted from band to sleeve.

I went to see my surgeon for a band, but he explained the sleeve to me.  Less to worry about, set and forget.  Yes more risks associated but I didn't have to worry about flipping, erosions, fills in and out.

Happy to chat re sleeve if you have questions.

Thanks Nessa. Hopefully I'll be able to keep my band as when it works for me it's great. Other than pain I've not really had any problems with it. If I end up needing it removed because of erosion I'll have to research whether I go for a sleeve or by pass so I'll appreciate any info I can get on either.

Happy to answer any sleeve questions

• Like 3

Thanks Goldilocks. I've never really had what I'd call excessive vomiting or sliming over a long period of time. I've always been really conscious of not vomiting more than I need to so I avoid it as best I can by eating slowly etc. A 7 month wait in the public system is pretty good. That makes me feel much better.

I'm feeling a lot more like it won't be erosion as I've gone back onto normal foods yesterday and have felt some restriction. Not nearly as much restriction as I would have hoped for considering I have 0.5ml more than my previous tightest which was too tight for me, and I had no trouble eating foods that previously were a bit hard to get down (bread, vege burger, brussell sprouts), but some, and I imagine if my band were eroded that I'd have no restriction at all no matter how much fluid was put in.

I'll pop over to the sleeve forum and read in more detail though.

Yes Luv, I'm guessing that it's not erosion as I know with mine, the restriction never returned plus my GP who does my fills (and works in tandem with my normal Surgeon) measured how much fluid was in the band, put in 1 ml, withdrew it again and could see that that the ml had basically just gone straight through hence the suspicion of a port leak/tubing leak plus I knew roughly how much I had in the band prior to the loss of restriction and there was nowhere near that amount in it when she tested it out that day.

The amount that had been lost from the band was far too much to be chalked up to osmosis or the loss of fat around the organs as by that stage I'd reached goal weight and was only having top ups every 3-4 months to maintain the level in the band, so I knew then something was wrong, just never expected it to be eroded. Anyhoo...Good luck with yours and I'll be keeping my eye on your progress :)

P.S....I was told that I'd have the surgery within 12 months but due to a few contributing factors plus the fact I got called in early after a late cancellation (I was asked by the Surgical Co-ordinator who scheduled the Bariatric Surgeries if I could come in for surgery on short notice) it was 7 months.

• Like 1

Yes Luv, I'm guessing that it's not erosion as I know with mine, the restriction never returned plus my GP who does my fills (and works in tandem with my normal Surgeon) measured how much fluid was in the band, put in 1 ml, withdrew it again and could see that that the ml had basically just gone straight through hence the suspicion of a port leak/tubing leak plus I knew roughly how much I had in the band prior to the loss of restriction and there was nowhere near that amount in it when she tested it out that day.

The amount that had been lost from the band was far too much to be chalked up to osmosis or the loss of fat around the organs as by that stage I'd reached goal weight and was only having top ups every 3-4 months to maintain the level in the band, so I knew then something was wrong, just never expected it to be eroded. Anyhoo...Good luck with yours and I'll be keeping my eye on your progress :)

P.S....I was told that I'd have the surgery within 12 months but due to a few contributing factors plus the fact I got called in early after a late cancellation (I was asked by the Surgical Co-ordinator who scheduled the Bariatric Surgeries if I could come in for surgery on short notice) it was 7 months.

The surgeon checked for a leak by withdrawing all the fluid and it was all still there. I think that, with the weight regain and lose of restriction is why he wants to check for erosion. It's all a big puzzle to me ... lol.

• Like 2

Urgh. I read your opening post and it was like I wrote it word for word. My heart stopped when your surgeon said it may be band erosion. For the last few months, no restriction and hunger has returned as per pre-op. I thought it was just due to stress with moving cities, now you have me worried. I also have restriction at a certain time of the month, but that's the only time I feel like I have a band.

Anyone else have any input on whether having all the fluid in the band would eliminate band erosion as a reason for this? I had all the fluid taken out and put back in and the full 5mls was in there, so hoping that is a good sign :P

Edited to add: I don't believe that the band contents (or lack there of) can determine if the band has eroded into your stomach, there is no correlation there. The band is still functioning as expected, it is just now no longer in the correct spot around the stomach. The only thing it does eliminate is band leakage which could be the alternative cause for loss of restriction/hunger.

Now I am a little bit worried :(

Edited by BackinBlack
  • Like 1

Erosion is the condition in which the band erodes away the stomach where the band and the stomach come in contact with one another, eventually resulting in a hole being worn in the stomach wall. That's exactly what happened to me. It's got nothing to do with the position of the band around the stomach as the band goes through the stomach with erosion hence no restriction whatsoever. The band most certainly doesn't keep functioning as normal believe me!!

The fact all your fluid is in your stomach indicates on the face of it, that it's not band erosion. I can tell you before mine was discovered, I had my fluid drawn out, put back in, 1ml added and the fluid withdrawn again to check the level only to find that it had leaked right through. I knew how much fluid I had in there before I noticed the loss of restriction and most of that had gone as well leaving only maybe 2 mls left from what was just under 7 mls before the band went right through my stomach.

My Surgeon told me the moment I woke up with no restriction was when the band physically went through my stomach.

Perhaps your band has slipped or the pouch has stretched?? There could be a number of reasons why. You'd need to do a Barium swallow xray to try to pinpoint what the issue is.

Here's a link to explain it to you and anyone else interested:

http://all-about-lapband.com/problems/erosion.html

Edited by goldilocks1973
  • Like 1