Sign in to follow this  
The fluffy chook

Appetite

Hi all,  I have had my gastric band for approx 6 months now.  I have had all fluid put in bar 3 mls.  

The reason for having this operation was to minimise my appetite.  I had a huge appetite.  

For some reason rather than a decreased appetite I am increasing again.  This is very disappointing. I was under the impression that the band would help to keep intake to a minimum.  The only thing that stops me now is that fact that I can't eat fast, which was my problem before as well.  Eating fast and way too much.  I am 60 years old with extremely bad arthritic knees so I can't walk for exercise and I live in the country so I don't have access to a pool.  The only way I can be active is to take Prednisalone every 2 days which will keep me upright.  

I have lost approx 15 kgs since the op and have put on 4kgs in the last 2 weeks.  I eat well and 9 times out of 10 healthy food.  I don't think its the type of food I'm eating it is still the quantity.  

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas I would be very grateful.  I also need to add that this was my choice of operation because I have absolutely no will power.  This combined with a growing (again) appetite worries me a lot.  

My band is still in place and not giving me any trouble.  I just didn't think that I would be able to eat as much as I am with this gastric band operation.  

Very interested in your opinions.  

Thanks 

The fluffy chook. 

Dear Fluffy, Well done with your weight loss. Sounds to me that you need a bit of a reminder as to how the band works and the need for regular checks by your doctor or health professional. You may need some adjustment now. ( More fluid ).  As far as I know prednisolone has a side effect of causing weight gain. Some-thing else to speak to your doctor or pharmacist about. There may be some other medication that can serve you better to treat your arthritis.  Best wishes for your continued success. 

• Like 1

Prednisolone is the drug of the devil!  it increases appetite and on high enough doses will give you a "moon" face.  I have an auto immune disease always worse in winter and have to resort to Pred occasionally-Usually when i'm desperate!!  Without the band i'd probably be 150kgs by now!!  Unfortunately it's not a drug you can stop and start because it alters cortisol production and you have to wean off it over a few weeks in lowering doses. That's often when my knees care at their worst.

Have you seen a Rheumatologist?  Might be worth a visit to discuss alternate drugs (Like Celebrex) or other ways of managing the pain.  I find if I don't walk, even just around the block, my joints ache.  I'm starting to lose the 3 months worth of 12kg I put on over summer on a "new" drug and am now just taking as few meds as possible and putting up with some discomfort rather than putting  on weight with a drug that, to be honest, didn't help and made me gain  weight. 

• Like 1

Hi Chook - How are you going with your current fill level - do you have stuck moments or can you still get most things down.  Maybe you just haven't got to your green spot yet and just need a bit more fill.  I have been very lucky in that I really don't suffer from any hunger at all.  Getting close to lunch time or dinner time I might think gee I'm hungry but am satisfied with my 1/2 cup meals.  I can eat more than that but don't feel I need it.  I just serve up my meal in my 1/2 cup plate and eat only that.  I know night times I do tend to look for a "snack" but its not because I am hungry its just habit I think.  A lot of times when you think you are hungry you may just be thirsty.  I do tend to drink a lot more cups of tea than I ever did before I will go for a cup of tea before I look for food.

Hi Henry, yes I'm exactly the same as you when I feel like I'm hungry I tend to go make a cuppa. I never drank so much tea in my life as I do nowadays being banded.

• Like 1