bigbellykellie

Long term bandsters

HI.

I have just joined and was interested in seeing how many long term bandsters (do we still call ourselves bandsters?) there are. I was banded April 2004 and still have my band. I have lost 65kgs give or take 6 or 7kgs. I go up and down, but get my eating back under control if my pants start getting too tight. I have to stay on top of my eating and exercise because the weight comes back on very easily.

I seem to be surrounded by anti band people at the moment. A lot of people converting or bagging the band, but I really dont have a lot of bad things to say. I mean at times I wish I didnt have to take nexium every day due to horrific reflux or the occasional blockage, but overall my band serves me very well and I will be eternally grateful for everything it has done for me or helped me do (touch wood).

In the beginning I was on forums constantly, but in the last 6 or so years I have been ...well, living. It was very suprising when I caught up with some previous band friends who all had their bands removed due to issues. They have basically told me it is inevitable that I will have issues and have the band removed, hence here I am researching again.

Who here is +10 years with a band? How are you going?

Kel

• Like 1

Hi and welcome. I have had my band 6 years. I love my band and like you I have to work on it constantly to stay on track and when the pants feel a it tight then I cut back lol. I have never regretted my band even though I have had 2 leaks. I do get a bit annoyed that there are so many knockers of the band and I now only have 1 friend left who still has a band but saying that I'm happy, I've adapted my life to include the band and after losing 85kg give or take anywhere from 5kg to 10kg I'm super happy

• Like 3

I wonder if its more disappointment than  knocking the band, I'm three years this year banded, three years ago I was full of optimism about my band but over the last year Ive become despondent. I have no choice but to stick with it as I'm a public patient. I always thought Id lose more weight than I have, I have sat back and seen my sleeved sister drop over 60 kilos in the last year seemly fairly easily while I continue to struggle, gain and lose gain and lose.  We were both on the list at the same time yet I ended up banded and she got the sleeve, she looks great now and I feel as if I look like shit.  I'm tired of the worry of how the band will react when out in company, I cant enjoy myself. I am tired of it being rubbed in my face that I'm only down about 25 to 30 kilos and more than half of it was lost in the optifast stage. I'm tired of everyday having to have a shake for brekkie and  some soup for lunch, eat bugger all for tea, feel hungry yet lose such minimal amounts of weight its depressing, If I go back to a normal diet I gain.  I'm now at the stage where sometimes I pray that something will happen with the band so they will have to do something and maybe I might get offered a sleeve or bypass.  I know it sounds ungrateful but I have been worn down by expectations and browsing the sleeve forums and seeing many more success stories than I see with bands. But I just keep plodding on in the vain hope that somehow I will lose weight and one day be in double digits rather than triple which is all i ask, not to be skinny. So maybe some people are just like me, despondent and fed up even after adjustments with the band,  I still seem to be going nowhere.

• Like 1

I haven't been in here for a while...I've been banded 4+ years now and have never looked back.  

Still less than 10 people know about my band.  There are lots of people around me who are critical of the band (or weight loss surgery in general) calling it a quick or easy fix so I'm keen to keep mine a secret. I know that being banded, a bandit, a bandster what ever you want to call is it not an easy path but it was the right one for me.

Over the last couple of years I've been able to maintain my weight to a range of about 4 or 5 kilos.  I've considered surgery for the loose skin but the cost and the amount of time I'd be out of action have put me off.

When I was banded my Doctor talked about exercise being a part of the journey and being able to run again was a key reason for me looking at the band for surgery.  I've come a long way since then running a number of half marathons, and some much longer (and shorter) races too...I'm still among the slowest runners in events I enter but that's where the best conversations are!  I've got a lot of weight related joint damage but the more I move the better it is...crazy!  

Someone who knows about my band recently asked why I don't have it taken out now.  I know that I can't live with out it, I had some fill removed to participate in a remote event and was STARVING all the time.  Great reminder that the band is a tool that helps me.  Someone in my family asked if I would recommend it, it has worked for me.  I wanted it to work, I've worked with my care team to make sure it worked and I love it.  It's definitely not for everyone though.  

S

• Like 5

I haven't been in here for a while...I've been banded 4+ years now and have never looked back.  

Still less than 10 people know about my band.  There are lots of people around me who are critical of the band (or weight loss surgery in general) calling it a quick or easy fix so I'm keen to keep mine a secret. I know that being banded, a bandit, a bandster what ever you want to call is it not an easy path but it was the right one for me.

Over the last couple of years I've been able to maintain my weight to a range of about 4 or 5 kilos.  I've considered surgery for the loose skin but the cost and the amount of time I'd be out of action have put me off.

When I was banded my Doctor talked about exercise being a part of the journey and being able to run again was a key reason for me looking at the band for surgery.  I've come a long way since then running a number of half marathons, and some much longer (and shorter) races too...I'm still among the slowest runners in events I enter but that's where the best conversations are!  I've got a lot of weight related joint damage but the more I move the better it is...crazy!  

Someone who knows about my band recently asked why I don't have it taken out now.  I know that I can't live with out it, I had some fill removed to participate in a remote event and was STARVING all the time.  Great reminder that the band is a tool that helps me.  Someone in my family asked if I would recommend it, it has worked for me.  I wanted it to work, I've worked with my care team to make sure it worked and I love it.  It's definitely not for everyone though.  

S

I'm glad its worked out for you shorty, I believe exercise is the key, for me thats where the problems lie plus Hypothyroid that we never seem to get the levels right with. I cant walk for more than 10 minutes without pain anymore (a bone issue in my foot and waiting to see a surgeon) and since becoming unemployed for the first time in 18 years last year my husband and myself have been struggling to make ends meet so I cant afford the pool at the moment. So Im hoping that in the future this can be rectified.  It is great to see that some banders are having success. I also have very few people that know Ive had a band because i just could not bare the disapproving looks because Ive only managed 20 to 30 kilo loss.  I have a long way to go. I will say that as far as serious issues go Ive had none. I will keep the band unless I ever get some other weight loss surgery because i believe without it Id now probably be back to where i started and maybe even fatter than before banding.

• Like 2

Walking is great for weight loss as is the pool but with costs, physical limitations, weather, pain, hey the list goes on right? My mother can't walk much at all due to debilitating RA and Osteoarthritis, but "seated exercises" take the pressure off her joints. If you Google it, plenty of exercises come up, most with images and clear instructions and the best thing? It's FREE.

Where there is a will, there is a way :)

• Like 2

Walking is great for weight loss as is the pool but with costs, physical limitations, weather, pain, hey the list goes on right? My mother can't walk much at all due to debilitating RA and Osteoarthritis, but "seated exercises" take the pressure off her joints. If you Google it, plenty of exercises come up, most with images and clear instructions and the best thing? It's FREE.

Where there is a will, there is a way :)

yep I do some of them, not much happening weight loss wise either way. But I just keep plodding on :-)

3+ years banded, goal weight in 2 years and within 3 Kg for the last 12 months.

I have learnt to live with my band, always knowing it is there but it rarly interfering with my life, if I forget it reminds me with a "stuck" moment!

I can run if needed and have recently purchased a bicycle to ride to the railway station

Best health decision I ever made.

• Like 5