A1zone

Is lap band suitable for 100kg woman?

Hi,

I am 35 yrs old, weighs 100 kg. I got diabetes and blood pressure issue too. My GP has suggested me gastric lap band. Now I am confused that should I go for it or not. 

I heard life becomes miserable and it has side effects too. 

Can anyone suggest me that should I go for lap band with this weight?

What's your BMI? If you are obese according to your height and have co-morbities and your GP has suggested a band do a bit of research and have a chat to a surgeon.  As is the case with most things people will whinge about  the band - but most of the problems are caused by non compliance.  You do have to learn a new way of eating and smaller portions if that makes you miserable the band is not for you.  Any surgery is risky so you need to figure out if it's for you.  There are plenty of good stories on here if you have a search through the forum-at 35 you still have a whole lot of living to do:)

• Like 2

Ozchick said "As is the case with most things people will whinge about the band..." I really thought that sentence was going to finish differently. To me, as with most things weight loss related, people whinge about ANY form of anything! We are fat for a reason and then having to change anything and/or everything we don't like it and it's not only a physical challenge but a mental, social and very much an emotional challenge. Discussing with your GP then a Surgeon is recommended as they make the best choice given your current medical situation and history. Personally, I am 6ft and I weight just under 150kg when I started. I am now 110kg and still have approx 25 more to go. I lost most of mine in the first 9 months. Type 2 Diabetes now reversed and medication stopped, sleep apnea gone, CFS nearly vanished and body pain from Fibromyalgia nearly non existent. My profile has other info about my journey if you wish to know. Oh and I had my WLS band done at 42 years old. Good luck

• Like 5

Just curious..any reason as to why you are considering band over sleeve?

I would be miserable without my lapband!

I consider myself lucky to have a relitively easy banded journey and would do it again (but sooner than 44)

• Like 4

I think you do what makes YOU happy, you know what is right for your body.  I LOVE my band and have not regretted it for one moment.  All the best!

• Like 2

A1 I was 100kg when I was assessed for surgery that put my BMI at 40 as I  am only 158cm tall. I did not have BP or diabetes issues YET, though I have family history of such. Hopefully I can avoid these probs or delay the onset by healthier eating, weight and lifestyle. At present I'm hovering around 80kg. Having a few issues, but do NOT regret anything. 

yes there are side effects of the band or any weight loss surgery, main one being you lose weight!

all surgery has risks that you need to discuss with doctor. 

You need to also consider that weight related issues such as diabetes type2 and hypertension also have very serious consequences too.

if this is something you want to do get a referral discuss it with surgeon, get as much info as possible and decide if it is for you.

cheers good luck

anna

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing your experiences... It was really helpful.....thanks alot :):):)

You need to read a lot though - I honestly feel that some people go into weight loss surgery expecting it to be a magic pill that fixes everything. This forum is full of old threads that are very informative. I read most of them in the 6 months it took me to decide which surgery I wanted. Also, you need to look at how you will pay - have you got private health? Have you got the right sort of cover, and does your insurance company do lap bands? I don't regret my band, although I've had difficulties with it, and am glad I stuck to my guns and went band rather than sleeve. But everyone is different, and what suits one person may not suit someone else. I was 130kgs, I got down to 78 kgs in the first year but then had issues and had my fill removed. Of course I went right back into my bad habits and gained 10 kgs, so I'm trying to fix that now. My goal weight is 75 kgs, but my BMI says I should be 65kgs. I know that 75 is achievable. After that, we'll see! It's hard work sometimes, it means making a LOT of changes to the way you do things. Good luck with what ever you choose to do.

• Like 1

I started my journey at just over 100kg (bmi 40), I saw my surgeon when I was about 80kg and banded at 78kg. It was my only option then and I love my new lifestyle. If I had the option to be sleeved and with the hindsight I do now I wouldn't have hesitated.

However, being banded felt like the right decision then and my surgeon is still sure it is currently haha

Read extensively and ask lots of questions. Consider the lifestyle you want, keep us posted and good luck!

• Like 2

Hi BHgirl14 , just wondering why you would now choose the sleeve.  I am same BMI and weight that you were and trying to decide which way to go. Am 40 years old.

Hi LDS,

I chose the sleeve because I will always battle my weight as long as I live. I couldn't risk the band as effectively its temporary. I was also advised by my surgeon, due to my age I would likely suffer around 30% of the complications over 10 years associated with a band - and reading those complications I really didn't like the idea. I don't regret my sleeve for a second. It's changed me and my life all for the better.

• Like 3

Hi BHgirl14 , just wondering why you would now choose the sleeve.  I am same BMI and weight that you were and trying to decide which way to go. Am 40 years old.

I'd go the sleeve in a heartbeat - I've asked my surgeon to revise me but he won't - I've been too successful.. 

As I said unfortunately it wasn't an option for me in the beginning. Had my gp referred me when I was 100kg then I may have been. 

I was 157 when i was banded earlier this year, i'm now 135, it has been slow but steady, and there have been up and downs, but i'd do it again without hesitation. The difficult times are normally caused by my own silliness, and are usually easily rectified and I just behave better after that.  I'm only 28 and I have no other health issues (no diabetes or heart issues etc) yet, but wanted to nip it in the bud. And a recent gathering i went to and people noticed the change in me and commenting on how i look, and the fact i wore a top and skirt i never fit into when i first bought them (yes internet purchases lol) its all been worth it :) I know i still have a long way to go, but i figure i'm young and i just need to keep going forward!

• Like 1