amyflossy

Sleevers In Melbourne

Hey everyone, 

I'm planning on getting sleeved in July 2016, I'm just wanting anyone's recommendations for a surgeon & some of the out of pocket expenses etc. I have PHI just have to wait the 12 months.

Hi

I went with Prof Nottle, had it done 2 months ago. He has numerous rooms over melbourne, my surgeory was performed at The Avenue.

My costs was $4,000 for the surgeon, $1,500 for the anesthesist, plus hospital excess, i had already paid mine for the year so didn't have to pay that. Plus Pre op appointments and post op, being dietician psychologist and physician. This is before medicare rebate and PHI rebate, i got about $1000 back. Just make sure when picking a surgeon to check the hospital they work at and if your PHI covers that hospital.

Best of luck on your choice.

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply. How are you going with your recovery?  I will add him to my list & give them a call.

I can't really fault him at all, i personally am healing great, my scars are very obvious but i scar really easily.

It is definitely a positive choice for me, no real regrets just getting use to it all really.

I had adam skidmore at the victorian Obesity centre. If you go into the face book groups pages you will get alot of responses for options. There are many good  surgeons in Melb. you may want to go with one closer to home. I would ask how many sleeves they have done and what their percentage of leaks have been. thats the most common complication at surgery.Adam has done over 800 sleeves and no leaks. His rooms are in heildburge. I He trained with the famous surgeon in london who did the "Fat Doctor" series .(its on youtube if you havnt seen it)  cant say how much he charges out of pocket as I got a discount being an existing patient. the ph is 9450 6800 if you want to ring the rooms to make enquiries.

• Like 1

I'm in Geelong :) Paid approx $3500 3 years ago.

• Like 1

I had Darrin Goodall-Wilson in Geelong.

Absolute superstar. Did it for free after hearing of my nightmare with the band. good bloke and top notch surgeon.

Edited by ilikewinter
  • Like 1

He was my surgeon too!!!  Amazing guy.  Talked me out of the band, glad he did.

• Like 2

I can't really fault him at all, i personally am healing great, my scars are very obvious but i scar really easily.

It is definitely a positive choice for me, no real regrets just getting use to it all really.

Ohh that sounds great, good luck with everything :)

I had adam skidmore at the victorian Obesity centre. If you go into the face book groups pages you will get alot of responses for options. There are many good  surgeons in Melb. you may want to go with one closer to home. I would ask how many sleeves they have done and what their percentage of leaks have been. thats the most common complication at surgery.Adam has done over 800 sleeves and no leaks. His rooms are in heildburge. I He trained with the famous surgeon in london who did the "Fat Doctor" series .(its on youtube if you havnt seen it)  cant say how much he charges out of pocket as I got a discount being an existing patient. the ph is 9450 6800 if you want to ring the rooms to make enquiries.

Thanks for your reply Jinie, 

Thats interesting to no, I will have a look on youtube & will contact them. Thanks for the info :)

I had Darrin Goodall-Wilson in Geelong.

Absolute superstar. Did it for free after hearing of my nightmare with the band. good bloke and top notch surgeon.

Thanks for reply, I live in South East Melbourne. Glad he has great review :)

On 7/29/2015 at 12:54 PM, Jinie said:

I read this post and just had to reply. Any surgeon that tells you they have never had a leak is either lying or hasn't done many operations. I went with Skidmore 4 years ago and had a leak. I ended up at the Alfred Hospital in septic shock. My heart and kidneys were failing and I was rushed into emergency surgery where they drained the leak. I nearly died. The leak persisted and I spent the next 3 months in hospital. I eventually needed a gastric bypass to fix the leak. They took great care of me at The Alfred. Apparently they contacted Skidmore who didn't want to know anything about me maybe so he could go on claiming "no leaks". I only later found out from the surgeons at The Alfred that Skidmore has had many leaks and has been banned from operating at multiple hospitals because of his high rate of complications - https://jonjayray.wordpress.com/2015/09/