Sign in to follow this  
born2rock85

Medibank Changes In Regards To Weight Loss Surgery

I checked emails to find one from my private health insurer - Medibank. Only to be notified that as of 28th September 2015 weight loss surgery will not be covered on basic cover anymore (The only reason why I even bothered with private health cover). I haven't been signed up for a full year.

My question is if I will be switching over to another level of cover does that mean any previous time served will be null and void in regards to my application for weight loss surgery?

Obviously soon I will call medibank themselves but just wanting to know other people's expierience in regards to similar situation.

Cheers

Generally yes, you need to wait another 12 months. . .  But give Medibank a call and see what they say, being that they are the ones making changes they might agree to waive the extra waiting period. I have heard that if you have your surgery BOOKED IN before the 28th of September (for a date later than that) they will cover you, but it is still best to check with them.

Goos luck!

• Like 1

Thank you for your fast & helpful reply leya22!!!

Good news is Medibank will honor the waiting periods already served for weight loss surgery providing I change to a level of cover that covers the
weight loss surgery before the 28th of September. Options are Top Hospital or Everyday Comprehensive - these are only about $30-$40 per month
more than my current cover.. 

=)

• Like 1

Thats great news..... and I am happy I could help :-)

I think I will need to do the same as you, I am already banded but want to be covered just incase any problems arise with my band.

Leya22 x