taaamy

Optifast alternatives?

Hey everyone, 

so I am looking at starting my shakes sometime this week, however, I don't have the affordability to get optifast, has anyone had something else instead?

Thank you!

Go down to Chemist warehouse, they have good deals on diet shakes, check the vitamins and minerals content against optifast and choose the closest match.

Optifast is the most expensive, and the one recommended by surgeons/dieticians etc. as it is the only one that has been scientifically tested to provide optimal nutrients, but there are MANY similar ones available.

I use Fatblaster. from Chem Warehouse they're $40 for two boxes on special - which is fairly regular.

They're my favourite.

• Like 1

I bought some Body + for Women on special at Woollies. They're less calories than Optifast, I think, but not as nutritionally complete. Optifast is pretty high in sugar. Most protein powders would do in a pinch, but do a good comparison first like Kazawaki said. You might need a good multivitamin and maybe some extra protein.

My surgeon recommends OptiFast or KicStart. Not sure which one to use though.

Hi ScratchCat and Taaamy, I would recommend kicstart all the way - the soups are especially nice in this cold weather.  I did well on my pre-op diet with them and now I'm in the post-op fluid only phase and they are certainly making it bearable.  I love the chicken and the pumpkin soups the best, although some of the shakes (caramel and the strawberry) are nice too.  I gave my sister-in-law 3/4 of my tomato soup portion today (lucky as I couldn't eat it anyway with my new sleeve) and she said that you almost wouldn't believe it was a powdered diet soup.  I just hate their website - you can only buy per shake/soup or a box of 100 - who would need 3 months worth of the same flavour (averaging one per day)??  I get them from my Dr at a better price than the website sells by the unit.  I've tried Optifast and tony ferguson VLCD before too.