Meg25

Changes to Superannuation Release - Centrelink

Hi guys,

Recently there had been an update to way you have to apply for early release of superannuation.

You now must have an online account with Centrelink (even if you work and don't require assistance from the government) to be able to access a submission form.

Your surgeon still has to fill out a medical report MO017, a letter stating that your situation is life threatening and a quote for hospital/surgeon fees. This has to be uploaded onto your online application. My surgeon suggested that they don't require your general practitioner to also sign a MO017 Report, so fingers crossed it goes through ASAP.

I'm just writing this to let anyone know who is confused (because I was as it's only a VERY recent change).

I will keep you updated on the time it takes to get approved and anything else that is required. If you have any questions about what to do/where you apply, feel free to ask.

Wish me luck! I'm hoping this gets approved ASAP so I can start my new journey soon.

Meg xx

• Like 3

UPDATE

I just got off the phone with DHS and they have received my application. After speaking with them, I actually do need to get another MO017 report from my medical practitioner, not just my surgeon.

I've booked an appointment for 7:30 tomorrow morning with him so hopefully no hiccups after that. The man at DHS said I will not lose my place in line for approval if I submit an extra document.

Make sure you have life threatening box ticked on the form and that your doctor/surgeon says that this service is not readily available on the public health system.

I'll keep you updated.

Meg xx

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing meg, I am also in the process of applying online. A hint for anyone doing so: the application is under 'my profile' in the drop down box. I could not find it so had to call dhs, on hold for ages. They said that it was easily available but it mucked up all the other files so they had to move it/ hide it so it did not disrupt the other files, crazy!

I thought the exact same thing Jo! How silly it was to just put it wherever. 

I saw my GP this morning and his signed the form for me so I'll be uploading it now. I'm getting really excited now!

Which clinic are you going to Jo?

• Like 1

That's great meg, hopefully the process will be quick , do you have a date booked in yet? I have my first appointment with Stuart Skinner at cbs in Melbourne on Tuesday, how about you?

Yeah, fingers crossed its really quick.

I don't have a date for surgery yet because I want to make sure I'll have my super ready for payment etc.

I had my first consultation is Dr. Burton at CBS a week ago, pretty straight forward and everything went really well.

We may be getting the band around the same time! I'm so excited :D

Good luck for Tuesday Jo!

Hopefully, I look forward to watching your journey, exciting times ahead!

I'm so glad I read this forum! I was so confused as to where the form had gone!

• Like 1

Don't worry squizzy! So was I, that's why I posted it here. There is no info on the DHS website at all! It just says...apply online...so silly. 

Hi Sammy,

So far it's just the waiting that's the worst. I'm so impatient. I'll let you know time frames once I get my letter of approval.

Meg xx

That's good to know, have you got your approval yet? Any idea of the approx turn around time?

Hey meg25, I am currently getting all my forms together, so far I have both the forms from the doctor and surgeon, what other forms did you need? Did you have to include bank statements and did they need to signed by a justice of the peace?

Thanks jo

Hey,

All you need is the MO017 form, signed by your surgeon and another signed by your doctor. You will also need a letter from your surgeon stating the exact cost including surgeon fees, anesthetic and hospital fees. This letter must also say that "this procedure is not readily available in the public health system" and that your obesity is life threatening and can cause co-morbidities. So with those 3 forms, upload then after you submit your online application to Centrelink. It will pop up with a screen that says upload. Upload the docs there.

RE: Bank statements etc. no need IF you have less than $1000 savings. Make sure you have enough super left over to cover the tax they will charge when they take out your super. Roughly $2000 for me. I assume you'd be roughly the same. I asked about anything else on the phone the other day and they said everything I sent in was good. Just make sure everything is ticked and all is signed correctly.

I also signed up for digital mailbox with auspost/myGov so I could get the letter of approval as soon as they approved it rather than waiting up to 3 days for delivery.

let me know if you need anything else! And good luck :)

Meg xx

Hi Kittn,

I applied on the 5th of Aug and now it's the 17th, I will call tomorrow morning as a hasn't heard anything yet. They did say on the phone it can take up to a month (MAX) depending on how many applications they have. But I'm too impatient, I'll call tomorrow and then let you know. The waiting is killing me!

Meg xx

Thanks heaps meg, you are a star!! 

One more question, did you need to include proof of identity, birth certificate or drivers licence?

Nope. That's why it's through Centrelink. That's your proof of identity. When you signed up with Centrelink you would have had to of provided 100 points of ID. This is your proof :) 

Thank you meg:D

• Like 1

UPDATE - Called DHS, got through in 10 minutes!!! :D 

The lady said they are currently doing applications that were submitted on the 24th-26th July, mine was submitted on the 5th of August, so I'm assuming it will be another week or so before I hear anything. I'll keep you updated.

• Like 1

I applied on the 8th... also (im)patiently waiting. Looking forward to seeing you get a response, then I know i should only be a short while later!

Awesome Squizzy!

Yep still waiting! I'll be calling DHS tomorrow morning to find out how it's going. The waiting is just killing me now!!!

Hey meg, any progress with your application? Waiting is so painful!!