Sammy35

Questions

hi you lovely people

i have my 1st appointment with my surgeon on the 8th September and I would like to know what questions I should ask. I have a few questions already. Just making sure I haven't left anything out.

can any one help please? 

Thank you 

I've got my first appt with the surgeon on Friday and am wracking my brain to think of what I should ask too :)

• Like 1

How exciting  Kittn! Friday will come quickly, im not even at that stage yet. Good luck hope all gos  well for you. 

Hi juggalette_naomi and kittn

These are the questions I have,don't know if there any help to you. Hope so.

how long does surgery go for?

how many nights stay in hospital?

how much is gap payment and other expenses?

side effects?

how many meals do u eat a day?

do I have to take any supplements?

will I be in much pain?

how active can I be when I get home?

how much weight can I lift?

when can I start driving?

sammy35 xx

• Like 2

Will do Sammy :) those Qs are a good guide. I've been googling pain and it seems to vary from person to person. I've had 2 c sections so I'm hoping it'll be comparable or less painful than those.  

I also want want to ask about possible long term complications and management. What about if your sleeve stretches.

• Like 2

I have had my gallbladder out and its the same procedure (keyhole) and it is no where near the pain you get from having your lower part cut. So im hopeing having the sleeve done will be the same. I only have one problem  now i can't  have most painkillers so im a bit worried  about the after care for myself. 

Thanks Sammy35, thats a start better write them down and make a list for myself. 

Hi Juggalette-Naomi,

i had my surgery one week ago (Monday 10th) and from Thursday onwards when I have come home I have only been taking panadol. So hopefully that will be ok with you too! :) 

• Like 1

I also want want to ask about possible long term complications and management. What about if your sleeve stretches.

I am being sleeved on 31/8. My dietitian said that initially the sleeve will hold 1/4 cup but it is normal for it to stretch to 1 cup by 12 months

• Like 1

Smile1980,  woo hoo your on your way to a new you!!! I can't  wait to get things started. Unfortunately  i can't  even have panadol, but im hopeing they have some other type of pain relief  that i can use. Im allergic  to codeine and morphine and any drugs related to them as well as the paracetamol. 

Smile1980,  woo hoo your on your way to a new you!!! I can't  wait to get things started. Unfortunately  i can't  even have panadol, but im hopeing they have some other type of pain relief  that i can use. Im allergic  to codeine and morphine and any drugs related to them as well as the paracetamol. 

Eeek that's rough!!!! :( Good luck!! :) 

• Like 1

Perhaps ask the surgeon how small they plan on making your stomach. There are a few different sizes that surgeons use.

I also asked how soon I would be able to play sport (in particular cricket as we were coming close to finals). It turned out I could have played two weeks after surgery without any hassles. Everyone is different though.

Ask about expenses. 

I asked my surgeon how many sleeves he had done and how many leaks he had (he had done hundreds and hundreds and only one patient had suffered a leak and she was OK in the end). I also asked if he had any deaths resulting from his sleeve surgery (he hadn't). You might think these are very invasive questions and they are, but it's your stomach he/she is cutting away and you deserve know how successful the surgeon has been.

If I think of anything else, I'll post them here.

• Like 2

Ilikewinter, i would feel so rude asking some of those questions but its my right to know how good they are. Have to try and think of it as im giving them a job interview. Thanks for adding my list is getting longer. 

Ilikewinter, i would feel so rude asking some of those questions but its my right to know how good they are. Have to try and think of it as im giving them a job interview. Thanks for adding my list is getting longer. 

Yeah, I would not normally feel comfortable either, but you get a gauge as to what sort of person you are dealing with. I was fortunate that my surgeon is a good bloke and I mentioned it at the end our appointment after we'd kind of chatted for 15 minutes or so. I certainly didn't walk into his office, shake his hand and say "How many people have you killed?". It was kind of after we'd developed a rapport first.

• Like 3

My appointment is tomorrow so I'm taking a list of the Qs I'm asking. Will let you know what the answers were :)

• Like 1

Discuss drinking after the sleeve, and the likelihood of reflux as well. Some people on here are only able to sip water very slowly, and others have terrible reflux. Better to be completely informed.

They were lovely and super positive which was a relief. I've got an appt on Monday with their dietitian and then it's just a matter of getting my end organised with money and having a blood test etc. then I go back and speak to the surgeon and get the ball rolling.

Interestingly he said he's only doing one or two bands a year these days. most of the rest are sleeves. 

I also was was speaking to an older lady in the waiting room and she was so encouraging. Saying she wished she had something like this done when she was my age.. 

• Like 2

This is my list of questions so far.

How long will i be in hospital  
How long will my recovery take
What do you do to help prevent  a leak? Ie stiches at top of stapples?
How many successful  operations  have you had?
How many unsuccessful  operations  have you had?
What do i need to do to prepare  for the sleeve? 
How many leaks have you had?
how long does surgery go for?
how much is gap payment and other expenses?
side effects?
how many meals do i have to eat a day?
do I have to take any supplements?
will I be in much pain?
how active can I be when I get home?
how much weight can I lift?
How small will my stomic  be?
How many deaths have you had from complications of the operation?
What is your experience?
What resources do you offer before and after surgery?
Which procedures do you perform?
What procedure would you recommend for me?
Why should I choose you?
If you see any other issues (like hiatal hernia) when you go in, will you correct this at the same time?
What kind of drains will be used? will they be left in and if so, when do they get removed after surgery?
What do you use topically for closing the wound? Stitches, glue, staples?
If I am unable to lose enough weight with the sleeve alone, what are my options for revision to other surgeries?
Is someone allowed to stay overnight in the hospital with me? 
How fast will a family member be allowed into recovery with me?
What kind of pain medicine do you prescribe for patients?
What kind of weight loss can I expect, and how long will it take me to lose the weight after the procedure?
What are the chances that I will
need additional procedures or revisions in the future after my surgery?

I just need to put them in a better order. Feel free to copy :) 

• Like 2