Hi all. I was banded on the 8th of August, so I'm nearly two weeks post-op. I've been sifting through a lot of different topics and questions on here and what's stuck out the most is exactly that - the "stuck" moments. Ironic, hey? To be honest I'm quite worried about the first time I will experience this for myself. It's enevitable - I know it will happen, but I'm extremely scared of it. What do I do when it happens? Drink? Don't drink? Wait? Try to bring it up? Ehhhh! Help!

x

Unfortunately you are going to find out about "being stuck" unless you are really lucky.  The best information I can give you is to follow your post op care and slowly get back to solid food.  Remember the chew chew chew chew chew.  If you swallow something and it feels like it isn't going down don't try to eat anything else.  Wait to see if it goes down.  If its not going anywhere try drinking some soft drink but just a bit to see if it might bubble it down.  If it doenst drink the rest of the can and you will more than likely throw up what is stuck. 

It helps to be preplanned but don't hang your hat on that this is what is going to happen for you just plod along and follow your surgeons and dieticians plan for you.

• Like 1

I'll second what @Henrywashere said ... do not try to eat more hoping it will push the blockage through. You'll just make it worse. I'd also say, other than the soft drink trick, don't go drinking anything in the hopes of pushing it through. That won't work either. Give it a few minutes to see if it goes down, get up and walk around, pull your bra out at the front and sides, squeeze your ribs ... if none of this works for me and the pain is getting worse I have to get it out and the only way for me to do that is to make myself vomit. It's disgusting but I can't deal with the pain.

The first few times I got food stuck I completely panicked. It was truly awful. These days I just get on with it and know that if worst comes to worst a couple of good heaves will fix the problem.

• Like 3

Awesome, thanks heaps for your replies I really appreciate it. It's good to hear a word of advice and reassurance from people who've done it :) I respect my support team - my surgeon and dietician and so on - it's just more comforting to hear the perspectives of people who've experienced it :) Thanks again guys.

You'll know because you'll produce a lot of thick saliva and will begin to regurgitate it up. You'll learn to read the signs early, in time. It's handy to carry a plastic bag or em-bag in your car, handbag, etc just in case. Public toilets are dirty, so standing in a cubicle using a plastic bag is much nicer when out in public. be aware that drinking when food is stuck will more than likely hurt a LOT, and you'll feel an urgency in getting the blockage out.

• Like 1