paper_butterfly

Hubby has been sleeved

Hi all,

My hubby had sleeve surgery on Tuesday 1/9 and is still in hospital after 4 nights :'( 

He's had the swallow test (the day after surgery) and all looked good, no leaks but quite a bit of swelling.

Maybe TMI, but Wednesday morning he started vomiting up what looks like saliva, as well as any soluble panadol or liquids other than water (apple juice, jelly, tea).

He's been given medication to stop nausea, but apart from the day after surgery, he hasn't had much nausea, just vomiting. Because of this, they can't say when he will be coming home. They obviously need him to be able to drink and take tablets before he can leave :-( 

I have a lap band and never went through any of this, but was hoping maybe some others with a sleeve went through similar?

How long did it last? I want to make it all ok and be as supportive as I can be.

Hi

i wasn't exactly the same I could handle liquids but when it came to jelly it took a few days before I could keep it down. So it could be that he is just really swollen and it means it's harder for him to get stuff down.

sorry that's probably not super helpful but hopefully it will work out and he'll be home before you know it.

• Like 1

My main problem post-op was nausea.

I vomited the next day (Tues), even after having ondanestron.

The apple juice that I had had at midnight had just 'sat there' until it came back.

Discharged on the Wed (less than 48 hours post-op!), and chucked up at home on the Thurs am.

I had minimal clear fluids post-op...probably was dehydrated on discharge.

• Like 1

I experience what your husband has when I had the band. I had to have the band out three days after it going in.

I have since been sleeved and didn't experience any side effects.

I would say there might have been a bit of scar tissue associated with your husband's op which has swelled his stomach up to the point where it is very restricted. This should resolve itself in a few days.

Keep us posted.

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments, everyone.

The doctors and nurses don't seem to concerned, so I wasn't sure if I should be worried or not.

Here's hoping that in a few days it will have settled down. I'll let you all know :)

I was kept in for 6 days because of post op vomiting and nausea. In the end, they controlled it with injections they normally give chemo patients. I was kept on a drip for 4 days due to the inability to keep water down. I had to be swapped to morphine injections because the pain pump was also causing vomiting. 

They wanted to make sure I could keep water and soup down before I was discharged. I may or may not have been tipping soup down the sink so it looked like I had eaten some (it was DISGUSTING) but this was only after I could keep water down!

Due to the heaving and vomiting, I had quite a bit of pain at the incision sites. I was discharged with Endone, slow release Oxy Contin, Maxolon and Zofran.

I ended up taking an extra week off work because I felt so bad and quite a few days here and there for the first month. It wasn't the greatest recovery but the docs weren't concerned. I got the impressing this occasionally happens so I wasn't too worried.

As much as I hated having to do it, try to encourage him to take a few walks around the ward each day. Take a sick bag just in case though. It did help.

Best of luck to hubby :) 

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments, Beebop. He is actually doing quite well today. No vomiting and able to keep down jelly and juice!

It's looking like they will send him home tomorrow, which will be 6 days post-op. 

• Like 2

Unfortunately, hubby now has an infection. They found it on Monday when they had him do another swallow test before they would discharge him.

So he's not left the hospital yet and they have him on antibiotics, draining fluid still, plus giving him IV fluids and TPN so that the stomach can heal. He was told yesterday that he may not leave for 2-3 weeks yet.

Hoping that 2-3 weeks is worst case scenario, but I don't know :( Last night he was told his numbers are coming down though, and that means the antibiotics are working.

Worried and stressed at the moment. 

• Like 1

He's in the best place in the world. Much better he has 24x7 care and they can make sure he can be 100% for when he goes home. In the long run you will both look back thinking how much it sucked, but how great life is for having done it. Best wishes for both of you.

• Like 2

Oh no!

I hope that he is well and truly on the road to recovery from the infection -  what a bad start!  Bet he's regretting that he had it done, poor man.

• Like 1

Hi Everyone,

Hubby is still in hospital. He's feeling quite good, but they still have his drainage tubes in and have organised another swallow test for Friday.

Mainly he is just very bored and ready to come home. But I agree that he is in the best place for making sure that he is all better first.

If the swallow test shows that the leak is healed, then they will move him to liquids and stay an extra few days to make sure all is well. They are also waiting for the drains to stop bringing out the pus (gross!) before it can be removed. Hopefully that will be soon!

Crossing fingers that he will be home early next week!

• Like 2

Lucky he is a very positive guy, Denzel! He's not regretting it. He knows that it was a risk and it's just unlucky that it happened to him.

I married a great guy. I'm so proud of him for doing it. I want him around for a very long time.

• Like 4

Hope your hubby is ok. 

Do you mind if i ask the surgeon and hospital. 

Im 12 days from my op and worried....

Please don't worry, Mort. I'm sure it was nothing to do with the surgeon or hospital. Just one of those things.

Hesitant to say surgeon or hospital because we've been nothing but happy with them. It could have happened if he'd gone in for appendix removal or any kind of operation.

Good luck with your surgery. I'm sure you'll do great!

• Like 2

Can't believe it's nearly 1 week later and I still can't say that hubby is home. 

The good news is this morning they confirmed that the leak has healed and he is now in clear fluids.

They hope that they will be able to gradually get him up to soft foods by the weekend and then he should be home early next week. Finally!

oh that is GREAT news! I'm so happy for you guys. Please pass on all our well wishes to your hubby, what a trooper!

• Like 1

I feel like this has been a neverending saga.

Hubby came home for almost 2 weeks (still as an inpatient) and was being seen by a nurse every day. Then he had pain in his arm after his PICC line was removed and ended up at emergency on Friday afternoon getting scans. They found a couple of blood clots (thankfully not near his lungs) and kept him in over the weekend to give blood thinners.

Monday morning he finds out that the leak still has not healed and so he is back in to stay for another 2-3 weeks. We're both devastated. How unlucky can you be?

We knew it was a risk, but did not even begin to think that it would last this long. Next Tuesday will be 7 weeks since his surgery. It's a good reminder that none of these weight loss surgeries are minor and the risks aren't minor either :(

• Like 3

Boy that is unlucky!!! I hope it all upwards from here.

• Like 1

Thoughts with you both. 

Yes, the surgery (any surgery) has risks and it's just unlucky that your bloke has had complications. 

Hopefully you will both get to the other side of this and look back at it as just a bad memory.

• Like 1

Best wishes to you both! Go buy a lotto ticket, maybe all your luck is being routed that way right now!

• Like 1

Oh no!  I am so sorry that he has developed further complications, and that his leak is still present.

What  a worry!

All we can do from all over Australia is to send you love.

• Like 1