Is there anyone else out there who had a normal recovery & progress from the sleeve op, but have gone onto lose too much weight?

And if so, what strategies did you use to put healthy weight back on?

I know to include more 'healthy' fats such as avocados, have snacks, and should be having protein drinks.

Seen my GP this am, and I'll drop a line to my dietician and surgeon (dietician didn't want me to go under 45 kg, I did email her last week when I had got to 45.99 kg, but I haven't heard back)

What else can you suggest?

Thanks!

Me.  52 year old female, 1.535m, current weight 43.54 kg, body fat % 21.2, BMI 18.8

• Like 1

That's an interesting scenario. 

I would say increase your calorie intake but in a good way (ie salmon, nuts). It goes against the grain of what we've all been doing though so the mind might take some adjusting.

• Like 2

Thanks for getting back to me @‌likewinter :0

I haven't been worried about calories as I have been doing low carb and not worried about fat all along, also still got a very small intake.

So been eating salmon and nuts (nom nom)!

Just gotta try to get more food in!  And am going to try to have a protein drink in the am and one in the arvo.

But, my thoughts are, that if I keep on doing low-carb, and even adding more fats in, I WILL still keep losing weight.  Waiting (weighting lol!) to hear back from the dietician on that one.  Plenty of evidence to suggest that this will happen...

Got the results today at the GPs of my 6/12 blood tests done a month ago - all good, with a HDL of 3.4! Cardiovascular risk factor of...1!

• Like 4

You skinny mini!!! I'm no expert on LCHF, but a drink such as sustagen or 2cal would boost your calories without having to eat a lot more.

• Like 1

fantastic! some people have this problem. I think they are encouraged to drink healthy calories or have an extra snack if they can manage. I believe that the body will stabilise at some point - stop losing weight then work out where it wants to be. You wont shrivel up to nothing!

Congratulations on reaching your goal by the way!! fantastic!

• Like 2

It's a toughie Denzel. I certainly wouldn't want to be increasing (bad) carbs, and I think you're right, staying low carb and increasing good fats will be unlikely to make you gain. Maybe just try to eat more frequently ? Maybe start having a few starchy, but good carbs like sweet potato .... or maybe even start eating oats. Oats are quite high in carbs but really good for protein, fibre and beta glucans. Add in some peanut butter or tahini (good fats, high cals). Put avocado, nuts, seeds and olive oil in everything.

I'll be watching this with interest.

• Like 3

I suggest wedges, sour cream and cheese........overlooking a stream.......in the hills. ;)

Excellent advice, and I feel that I shall have to follow the prescription.

One thing that was left out, and that was company.. :)

• Like 3

wine might help. :wacko:

And another excellent prescription!  medicinal of course!

:)

• Like 1

My (for me 'cos I only  - on the whole - weigh once/week) 'weigh in day' was today.
This is  a tad flexible depending on output (lol!), input etc, so varies between Monday and Tuessday.
Last week I also weighed myself on Thursday as I was seeing the GP.

I might weigh myself again tomorrow (didn't Monday), as, umm, there had been considerably more 'output' after I had weighed myself this am (ferkin' meal replacement drinks seem to give me the sh**s, - put it like this "Never, ever trust a fart" c/o Kazbo from another forum).
The good news is that I am the SAME (pre-sh**s today, mind you) as last this time week (I had dropped lower on Thurs when I had weighed myself before going to the Drs, ).
However, my body fat % has dropped by ?1%, 0.5%? I am down to 20.5%.
I AM only around the 5' mark (1.535 m) and am back to 44.5 kg, up from (ferk'!  frightened me!) 43.5 kg last Thurs).
Finding it awfully hard to get clothes to fit, + I have hideous arms (think wrinkles and saggy on the outer bit, as well as saggy on the 'bat wings' and you get the gist).

Did an Op Shop trawl this arvo - got more for the Foster Greyhounds (Greyhound Adoptions WA) that I can adapt than I did for me.  I just need some more long pants and T-shirts with decent long sleeves. 
I'm down to about a AGE 8/9 YEAR OLD BOYS.

One of my friends, - @Angel Butterfly - was quite surprised how much loose skin I was hiding under my clothes once she saw me in various stages of undress.

Since Thus last week I HAVE been using supplemental meal replacement drinks (ie protein + multi-vitamins and minerals) in the am with prescribed medication; + whole egg mayo + avocado + "seedy crackers" + full-fat cheese, tomatos, 'Promite'  etc. 'meals' (nom-nom!).  I have also tried to get another one in.  in the afternoon.
Tomorrow I am going to cook a duck ($16.00, 2 kg on special at Coles!!!) on my "EasyCook Original 717 ".  At the moment duckie is in the fridge, uncovered, in preparation for becoming Chinese "Crispy Skin Duck" or "Peking Duck". Oh my goodness, can't wait!!! Nom-nom!

• Like 2

My (for me 'cos I only  - on the whole - weigh once/week) 'weigh in day' was today.
This is  a tad flexible depending on output (lol!), input etc, so varies between Monday and Tuessday.
Last week I also weighed myself on Thursday as I was seeing the GP.

I might weigh myself again tomorrow (didn't Monday), as, umm, there had been considerably more 'output' after I had weighed myself this am (ferkin' meal replacement drinks seem to give me the sh**s, - put it like this "Never, ever trust a fart" c/o Kazbo from another forum).
The good news is that I am the SAME (pre-sh**s today, mind you) as last this time week (I had dropped lower on Thurs when I had weighed myself before going to the Drs, ).
However, my body fat % has dropped by ?1%, 0.5%? I am down to 20.5%.
I AM only around the 5' mark (1.535 m) and am back to 44.5 kg, up from (ferk'!  frightened me!) 43.5 kg last Thurs).
Finding it awfully hard to get clothes to fit, + I have hideous arms (think wrinkles and saggy on the outer bit, as well as saggy on the 'bat wings' and you get the gist).

Did an Op Shop trawl this arvo - got more for the Foster Greyhounds (Greyhound Adoptions WA) that I can adapt than I did for me.  I just need some more long pants and T-shirts with decent long sleeves. 
I'm down to about a AGE 8/9 YEAR OLD BOYS.

One of my friends, - @Angel Butterfly - was quite surprised how much loose skin I was hiding under my clothes once she saw me in various stages of undress.

Since Thus last week I HAVE been using supplemental meal replacement drinks (ie protein + multi-vitamins and minerals) in the am with prescribed medication; + whole egg mayo + avocado + "seedy crackers" + full-fat cheese, tomatos, 'Promite'  etc. 'meals' (nom-nom!).  I have also tried to get another one in.  in the afternoon.
Tomorrow I am going to cook a duck ($16.00, 2 kg on special at Coles!!!) on my "EasyCook Original 717 ".  At the moment duckie is in the fridge, uncovered, in preparation for becoming Chinese "Crispy Skin Duck" or "Peking Duck". Oh my goodness, can't wait!!! Nom-nom!

My arms have suffered from a 38kg weight loss. I have tuckshop arms so I bought some small barbells and have been lifting light weights at a high repetition for a few weeks. It has helped a lot. I have been doing tricep and bicep curls and the benefit has been worth it so far.

• Like 3

thanks for sharing @ilikewinter , I literally just started doing that a week ago because I can see I have the potential for tuckies, glad to hear that it actually helps! Thanks for the motivation to keep it up :)

• Like 2

Do-it-yourself tummy tuck lol!

GP does NOT want me to lose anymore weight, particularly as I have had an on-going problem with diarrhoea (turned out I had a gut infection, am meant to be on antibiotics as of Wednesday been, but I am feeling much better, and using my discretion and knowledge so am not on them).  She wants me to go back to the dietitian - who I don't feel can offer me anything new, as we had discussed this + weight maintenance last time back in July -  does not want me to have reconstructive surgery until my weight has stabilised. Wants to see me in another 2/52.

My appetite has picked up today. I think that I have cleared the bug.

I don't count calories, I use full-fat everything including cream, cheese, avocado, mayo, the skin off poultry - including duck; but am not having added sugar nor refined carbs as I don't want to get in to the carb addiction/insulin-blood sugar response cycle anymore,  + they don't appeal to me anymore. Just eating "Real Food".

peg tummy tuck.jpg

Edited by denzel
  • Like 4

I need to slow mine down too, now.

I'm Ok with being 90kg, but any less than that I will look too thin and then it creates a whole new set of 'problems' like wardrobe change, loose skin etc.

I think I might have to go back to the dietician. I'm losing 1.3kg a fortnight without trying.

• Like 1

I ended up going onto antibiotics, which HAS cleared up, erm, "the problem", and hopefully now with improved appetite and not losing nutrients down the loo, my weight *hopefully* will stabilise. I need it stabilised before I have reconstructive surgery.

A bit too mini?  This was me at the plastic surgeon consult.

me standing.jpg

• Like 1