I don't have private health insurance but I have decided to try and access my super for sleeve surgery in Brisbane. Have others self funded via super and what was the total cost? Did you do it at a private or public hospital? Which surgeon and also how long from booking the consult to having the procedure? I've tried to do research on this but all I can find is either outdated or hugely varies. Thanks for sharing. 

It can vary by around $4K just on the surgeon alone, depending what their gap is. A friend had a sleeve two months ago and it was $14500 for the private hospital, $4800 for the surgeon, $1100 for the gasman and $500 for the assistant. Unfortunately she had trouble keeping down liquids so stayed an extra two nights which cost an extra $1900 but hasn't been successful in claiming this back on her super yet

I know. I'm really torn as to what to do. The reason I want to get it done now, rather than wait a year, is that I'm planning on another baby. And so it's either get cracking on the baby now, and get PHI and get the surgery in 12 months, or, have the surgery now, self funded, and look to get pregnant in 12 months when things have hopefully stabilised.

I'm really miserable at this weight and want to do something before getting pregnant again, as I put on 30kg in pregnancy last time and I will probably do the same - making it so much worse. It's a real catch 22 for me. But I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and just go for the super release option, as the way I'm headed - on the trajectory to morbidly obese, i'll be dead before I get to enjoy it anyway....

I did get a quote from WLSA at $24k self funded, which freaked me out, but I guess that's basically what it costs just because of the hospital fees. I think trying to go as a private patient in a public hospital would be thousands cheaper, but would be waiting a year, so may as well get PHI in that case.

Dammit, should have got PHI years ago and this wouldn't have been an issue now.

Hi morto, I am the same as you, considering another baby but wanted to lose weight. I bit the bullet and have used my super, want to be the healthiest I can be and I'm 37 so need to take that into consideration. Good luck, it will be worth it!!

Here's some Surgeons names for you Luv: Blair Bowden (works both at the Wesley Private and the RBWH if you were thinking of going as a Private patient in a Public Hospital and is my Surgeon), Dr Robert Finch (same deal plus he works at a few other Private hospitals too), George Hopkins (RBWH and Holy Spirit Northside I think??). Other Surgeons who work Private only as far as I know are: Justin Greensdale, Phil Lockie, Dr Michael Hatzifotis, Ian Martin, Reza Adib.

I suggest you check out their websites and call their rooms to find out what they individually charge for the procedure without PHI. I'm pretty sure Blairs Practice Manager Lara would also be able to tell you a rough guesstimate of how long it might take to have the surgery at the RBWH as a Private patient. Totally understand why you want to have it done before you have another child. Yes it's a lot to take out of your Super but you can always top it up in the future and treat the $ you withdraw like a loan. Being around to enjoy it is also a great point!!

Good Luck Luv!!!:)

I am here looking for similar answers. I don't have Phi and I don't have any super to access. I could borrow a few thousand but not $20k. 

Thanks Goldilocks you were really helpful and helped me validate my decision. Kicking myself for not having phi for sure but I guess the money I have saved over the years is probably about the same. I'm definitely going to get it now but still going to access my super. 

I met with Dr Adib today and he was great, really straight forward and helpful. I'm booked in for 25 November and in the meantime need to get my paperwork in to Centrelink. Nervous but excited that I have a way forward and hopefully into a healthy weight range, Goldilocks you're right, it's basically a loan and if I am disciplined over the next few years I can replace the money. My advice to anyone even slightly considering the surgery would be to get PHI straight away because it takes a number of months of research before you decide to go ahead, so it's worth waiting the 12 months...I'm super annoyed at myself I just thought I could just lose weight on my own, clearly, I can't. Anyway, will let you know how I go with the super release. It will be $20k in total that I get out of my super (for those wondering the self funded cost). It's a huge amount but I have decided to do it, so I have the best chance to lose weight and then look to have another baby when my weight stabilises.

• Like 2

@Morto You're more than welcome Luv:) Am glad you've found a Surgeon you like and trust. Your surgery date will be here before you know it!!! Exciting time ahead for you!!!

Yes, please update us all on your Super release and how you're going etc as I'll be keeping my eye out for your updates:) If there's anything else you need/want to know, feel free to ask. Am happy to help if I can:)