BoNNiesss

Contemplating Banded Gastric Plication / Gastric Sleeve

Hello fellow bandits,

I have a BMI of 31, wondering if anyone has does gastric with a 31 BMI? Which type of procedure did you end up with and whats the weight loss like?

I have an interest in a new process called a Banded Gastric Plication. It basically involves folding the stomach in half inwards to the left and stitching it. Also without the complications of the Bypass/ sleeve and its completely reversible

It seems that you cant find much about Plication in Australia.

Any recommendations on this Plication and any good doctors to recommend in Sydney?

Basically im asking if anyone has had this/ heard of it? and just wanted to know fellow bandits response

Basically im asking if anyone has had this/ heard of it? I

I have a gastric sleeve and love it for the following reasons:

• It works like a normal stomach, just on a much smaller scale
  • Yes it's permanent and why would you want something that is not? if you remove a band, you regain your weight.
  • I can eat any kind of food - salad, veges, bread, steak, chicken breast, eggs, omelette, etc not a problem to eat and swallow (I couldn't eat these with a band)
  • The part of the stomach that produces the hunger hormone is removed so I'm really not that interested in food!
  • The surgery also changed my biochemistry somehow and I am no longer a sweet tooth (amazing considering I was a sugar addict before!)
  • I am no longer a slave to food or my hunger
  • Weightloss is faster and with a sleeve and maintained much longer
  • I rarely dump with a sleeve - I know to avoid certain foods (which are not good choices in any case so no loss). I was flat out trying to swallow food with my band every single time I ate.
  • There is no mucking about with needles in my stomach with a sleeve - it is truly a 'set and forget' procedure in that you don't have to wonder if you are in the green zone or not, you start from day one with a small stomach and great restriction. It can take anywhere between 1-100+ lap band adjustments to find your perfect spot for restriction. Some people like me could never find that sweet spot, it was either too loose or too tight.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'complications with sleeving' - there is a risk (1/1,000 or so) of a leak - this is usually experienced in the first 2 months of sleeving if it happens at all. Some people experience a stricture (very, very rare and is usually corrected with an endoscope). There are more complications with banding not only immediately but throughout the life of the band.

With a band, you could experience flipped ports, slipped band, erosion, oesophageal dilation, Barretts oesophagus (from regurgitation), as well as food getting stuck in the band.

Just have a read in the Bandit Lounge of all the posts of people worrying how to deal with stuck food, how to PB (productive burp i.e. regurgitate), worries about slips, erosions, port infections and flips.

Then go and have a look in Sleeve Central and see what posts you can find about problems people are having (you will find very, very, very few from sleevers).

I'm not telling you to have a sleeve, but I would encourage you to do more research about the benefits of it and learn more facts about the types and rates of possible complications for both kinds of surgeries.

Good luck!

• Like 3

I had the sleeve early August, no complications healing quickly and enjoy (a lot  smaller) variety meals. As Kazbo said the torture of constantly thinking of eating has disapaited. I was a sugar fiend and now there is not a thought about eating chocolate ect. All the best with your decision 

• Like 1

Hello fellow bandits,

I have a BMI of 31, wondering if anyone has does gastric with a 31 BMI? Which type of procedure did you end up with and whats the weight loss like?

I have an interest in a new process called a Banded Gastric Plication. It basically involves folding the stomach in half inwards to the left and stitching it. Also without the complications of the Bypass/ sleeve and its completely reversible

It seems that you cant find much about Plication in Australia.

Any recommendations on this Plication and any good doctors to recommend in Sydney?

Basically im asking if anyone has had this/ heard of it? and just wanted to know fellow bandits response

Basically im asking if anyone has had this/ heard of it? I

Hey there, my bmi was quite low by the time I saw my surgeon - it was low 30's down from 40 and my weight on op day was 78kg from 101.8kg and I'm 25 years old.

I had to convince my surgeon to band me for maintenence, so unfortunately the sleeve wasn't an option really.

I haven't heard of the gastric plication, some people have had a band with plication? Search for plication on here and you may find it.

I've had a good run with my band since my op in December 2014, though; if I the sleeve was an option for me I'd go for that for the reasons given by Kazbo.

Ultimately it's up to you and your surgeon. Other factors will also influence your suitability to the different options. Good luck, do your research  (this helped me a lot!! He couldn't argue with me when I walked in with the information!) and let us know how you go!

I had a gastric band with plication done a couple of years ago. Dr Oliver Florica does them, he is located in Wahroonga and Pennant Hills. Very good doctor.

• Like 1