SophieChristina

Newbie with questions!

Hi everyone! 

My names Sophie. I'm 21 years old and weigh 102kg with a BMI of 35. I have done literally every diet/meal plan under the sun and while I get some short term success I always stack on the weight I lost plus more. I've even been on Duromine but because I suffer pretty bad anxiety it was a horrible experience and I had to stop taking it. 

I'm so so so intrigued by lap banding - I've been researching it extensively for the past couple of weeks and have made an appointment to see my GP next week in the hopes of getting a referral to a surgeon. Both my parents work at the local hospital and my Mum is on good terms with one of the chief surgeons who performs the surgery so hopefully I would be able to get in to see him. 

I I just have a few questions! I don't have private health insurance and don't want to get it and then wait 12 months before surgery, nor do I want to wait 1-2 years on the public waiting list. If I were able to finance the surgery myself and pay for it privately would that increase my chances of getting in earlier? 

Has as anyone my age or roughly my age been banded and would you be able to tell me about your experience? 

I truly think this surgery could be the tool to help me to finally achieve my goals and I just want to learn as much as I can. 

Looking forward to getting to know you guys better! I thought it was about time I stopped lurking and made an account :P

• Like 1

Self funding will definitely get you in much faster. 

Good luck with your gp and referral, that's an awesome place to get the ball rolling, 

There are a few ladies here who are your age. 

My suggestion is to read through some posts use the search function, 

Yay ! 

Thanks round2baby! 

I'm very very excited. Once I (hopefully) get my referral I'll sort out my finances for when I see the surgeon. Oh I am SO excited/scared!

• Like 1

When I saw my surgeon first off I only waited three weeks. Only cause of the tests that they do, blood xray, ecg. Had to see a psychologist as well ... But not all clinics do that. Also did two weeks of opti fast 

Yay I'm excited to watch your journey

• Like 1

Wow only 3 weeks that is awesome!! 

So I take it you're happy with your band? How long have you had it now?

thank you, as am I! Nervous and excited anyway:blink:

Make sure you discuss the self funded option with the surgeon, some refuse to operate without PHI in case there are any complications. Banding has been great for me, good luck with your appointment!!

• Like 2

Hi Sophie wow reading the 1st part of your post was like reading my story too. I also had tried everything, failed with duromine and with each diet I think I would end up gaining 10/15 kg. I had a sleeve done 8 weeks ago. When I saw my surgeon he recommended this procedure over the others. I too researched and felt to go ahead. I had private insurance but from the time I saw my GP it was within 3 months when I had the surgery.

wishing you all the best 

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies guys! 

I have public health insurance, just was unwilling to wait 1-2+ years in the public system so I thought I'd take matters into my own hands ;)

M&M congratulations, that is SO awesome!

Hello i am going to see my doctor tomorrow about having the lap band as he said to me last time I saw him that I could have it done due to the fact I was very over weight.....  I am 42 and 27 stone shameful I know I just need someone to chat with who has had it done so I can ask questions and get some first hand info...  I haven't told anyone about it has I am ashamed too......  I been looking on Internet to find somewhere like this so I can chat about it.  Thanks if you have taken the time to read this shall pop back on tomorrow afternoon.  Thx the big man x

• Like 2

Welcome, this is a great forum with many supportive people here to help and give advice/suggestions.

Have a good look through previous posts, you will find most subjects are covered. . .  If not, feel free to ask, we all have different experiences and opinions we can share. . .  I more thing. DO NOT BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF. None of us here are perfect, or we wouldn't need WLS, you are taking the first step to do something about it.

Good Luck 

Leya :-)

• Like 2

Thanks for your kind words everyone!

i have my doctors appointment on Monday to get a referral: my mum also spoke to the local surgeon (she sees him quite often as she works in the health industry too) and he said once I get my referral he will get me in as soon as possible! I am SO excited!

• Like 1

Hello SophieChristina and Superboy1uk and welcome

Glad to see you both found your way here. This forum has alot of information and the Search feature above is pretty good for finding topic specific info. Alot of ppl put their journeys on their profiles or on their signatures below. I have a lap band and got mine in April 2014. The majority of my success was in the first 9 months losing 35 kilos. Since then my weight has been hovering around, lost another 5 kilos then plateaued. But in saying that, I also have had fluid removed from my band and been on holidays to NZ, UK, Europe and I'm just back from Bali this past Monday and I no longer have Type 2 Diabetes or Sleep Apnea. Losing the weight I have enabled me to experience these wonderful holidays and improve my health. I still have 20 kilos to go and I plan to do that in the next 12 months. 

Don't hesitate to ask questions and enjoy the wealth of knowledge this site offers and humour, lots of great humour! ;) 

• Like 1

Hi there. I was banded at 26 - so a little older than yourself. I started with a BMI of 40 - somewhere around there. I do love my band, although am struggling at the moment. Lost 27kgs in 2 years and then after a series of unfortunate events this year, have gained 15kgs. I am back on track now and doing all the right things. The best piece of advice I have is to realise the band is around your stomach, not your mind. Your sugar cravings and old habits, emotional eating etc don't go away. You can eat less when you do have those moments, but that's it. It is just a tool and depending on how hard you work that tool will depend on your results. Just turning a screwdriver lightly on the top of the nail will  just round off the nail - but if you really grip the driver and use your best effort - it'll work.