Sign in to follow this  
born2rock85

Sleeve Surgeon Recommendations Warrnambool, Ballarat Geelong Rural Vic

Hi.

I live in Rural Victoria and would like information / recommendations and possibly costs (even if it's a ball park figure) 
on obesity surgeons that perform the sleeve operation.
I've looked on the ossanz website for a list of surgeons.
Closest to me is Hamilton but been told they only do band, I'm looking to get sleeve. I think Warrnambool also does band only?

I was looking into melbourne bariatrics (Geoffrey Draper) as I have family down that way but also having a 2 year old son I think it might be better to stay closer to home?

Any information would be appreciative.

Hi Lady!

I am getting done in ballarat.. Dr Deutscher. There is also another surgeon I think his name is Stuart eaton.

Im getting the sleeve done. I go in on November 10th. Cost is approx. $18k for my surgery.

• Like 1

Geelong, Darrin Goodall-Wilson out of St John of God.  Approx $4000 out of pocket if you have PHI.  If straightforward surgery, 2 nights in hospital.

• Like 1

Thank you for your fast replies Pugga and Nessa!!!
They've been very helpful.

Apologies for my slow reply (no net!)

I have private health insurance, 12 month wait finishes April 2016... (forgot to mention that)

All the best with your op Pugga !!! Not long now :)

Bianca

• Like 1

Nessa1977 
I just read your blog, amazing stuff ~ thank you so much for sharing!!!!
It's easy to find facts and figures but it was great to read your journey, very insightful.

Does Darrin Goodall-Wilson still do the sleeve surgery? I had a look on his website and it only has information about gastric band.

Cheers, Bianca

You're welcome and yes he does.  Yeah website has been updated but outdated with regards to sleeve lol.

With PHI, you'll be approx $4000 out of pocket :)

Edited by Nessa1977

I made appointment with Darrin Goodall Wilson!.. 5 month wait for consultation (29th April 2016)!!!
Any idea how quick things progress after the consult??
I'm happy to wait a while for consult as I don't have the funds saved up yet and also I wouldn't want to rush such an important 
decision that is for the rest of my life. 

Woohoo!!!  You'll be in good hands!  I got to pick when suited me and if he was available.

You should be able to get your tests done in the interim, get them out of the way.  I had a sleep study, ECG and bloods.  Also saw dietician (Lisa) and the nurse ( Anne).  I saw him in November 2011 then got a phone call a few weeks later asking me to book in, even though I didn't commit to the surgery, as I wasn't 100% sure.  Tests were done in January 2012 then I went for a review and booked for March but chickened out then rebooked for June.

My sister came along to a consult as she wanted to speak with him herself and ask her own questions.  I saw him for 3 consults pre op.

• Like 1

Thanks once again for your reply Nessa!

Do I get those tests done prior to 1st appointment with Surgeon??? 

And if so would it be better if I got tests done closer to consultation date then months earlier??? 

Do.I also need to make separate appointments with dietitian and nurse or is that organised through Darrin.

Not tests I were done after I saw him for first consult.  Like I said,mi didn't even commit to the surgery then out of the blue, the nurses calls me and tells me I need these tests done.

I can't remember re dietician and nurse appointments.  I think the nurse who called re tests may organise.  

Edited by Nessa1977
  • Like 1

Thank you once again for your reply Nessa, you have been extremely helpful!

One last question...
Do you know if he also offers the bypass?
I know there are pro's and cons with both surgeries but be good to have options open.

Have a lovely weekend :) 

I don't know, it's something you'll need to discuss with him.

• Like 1