Startingover14

Tummy tuck recovery

Morning, 

I have a question for anyone who is a tummy tuck recipient. How long did your drains stay in? I'm currently 9 days post surgery, I left hospital at day 4 with two drains. On Monday (day 7) I had my first check-up, where one of the two drains was removed. I need to go back this afternoon for another check-up and to re-evaluate. 

I understand everyone's recovery is different, but I just want to know if im 'normal' 

kind regards, 

Startingover

• Like 1

I haven't yet had one done - booked in for November 17th!!! - but I am sure that if you had fallen out of the "normal" range, they would have told you?  (I have been two dofferent plastic and reconstructive surgeons for consults).

Also, there are a lot of other factors involved including how much fat you are still carrying and if you are a smoker?

Keep us updated!  (Have you written a blog?)

All the best,

:)

Thanks Denzel, 

my surgeon was not concerned at all, sometimes people recover at a slower rate. Reading online, drains can stay in from 3 to 15 days. It just depends. 

I understand there are number of different factors. I am a non-smoker and a large amount of fat was liposuctioned out. 

In regards to a blog, I have been keeping a paper vision of my events. 

Thanks 

• Like 1

I'm doing a blog, it's under my name  (denzel)  "My Reconstructive Surgery Journal".  Complete with piccies!

:)

TT 3yrs ago,2x drains out on day 5,went home on day 6.

• Like 2

It usually depends on how much output there is in the drains in a 24 hour period, every surgeon has different 'rules' for when they like drains taken out. . .  Drains help to prevent post op swelling and bruising (and the development of fluid collection under the skin), making for a smoother scar line, whilst having them in longer can increase risk of infection at the insertion site, this is easier to manage than an infection under the skin from a fluid collection. . .  

Everyone heals a little differently, some people bleed lots and other hardly at all, having had the lipo too you would likely to have a bit more bleeding and bruising, hence why the drains have been left in.

Have faith in your surgeon/team, they are experts and I am sure you chose wisely.

x

• Like 3

Thanks Leya for your response. 

Unfortunately there was a blockage in my drain tube, the surgeon tried to remove the clot but was unsuccessful. So now the next course of action is to monitor, aspirated the fluid out and ensure I wear my binder. 

My surgeon and his nursing staff aren't concerned, it's managed and very common amongst people who receive tummy tucks. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately there was a blockage in my drain tube, the surgeon tried to remove the clot but was unsuccessful. So now the next course of action is to monitor, aspirated the fluid out and ensure I wear my binder. 

Well. poo!

How are you feeling in yourself?

Well. poo!

How are you feeling in yourself?

I'm feeling fine. There is not point to panic, I just been to continue with my recovery. 

• Like 1

I look forward to seeing some before and after pics!!! Exciting times for you :-)