BHgirl14

Band to sleeve surgeons near Bathurst or Central Coast

Hi Sleevers,

I'm looking for surgeon recommendations in the Bathurst or Central Coast area who have performed band to sleeve or bypass please? 

My story: I've been banded not quite a year and I'm adamant that I want to have my band out and become a sleever (or very unlikely get a bypass). 

For lots of different reason including:

*My port is now getting in the way of my day to day life, painful under clothes and limiting exercises. I figure if I have to go under anesthetic again I want it to be for the sleeve

*I'm worried about the future of my band and am realistic that it will have to come out so the sooner the better now that I know wls is what I want. I want to work overseas so the follow up of the band isn't convenient 

*All the issues to do with food, stuck moments and regurgitation, enough said!

*I also want to have a tummy tuck but I'm not doing that with a band in!

The only problem is that my surgeon is not willing to do a revision as I've been 'too successful'. Even though I don't think the way I've done it has been healthy. I live 1200km away and spoke with him this week on the phone so I'm going to see him before Christmas and attempt to convince him....

Thanks 

I've been thinking a lot about this since you posted. Ethically I can understand why the surgeon is refusing further WLS. From your post it doesn't seem like there is anything technically wrong with your band, but the lifestyle it forces just isn't for you which is fair enough - its hard! Have you had all of your fill out or requested a straight band removal with no further WLS?

Personally I don't believe a sleeve is a maintenance tool after a band (when you've reached goal weight and have no/little more to lose), its a massive surgical procedure that has risks and complications that should only be used when the patient has exhausted all other alternatives (dieting, exercise, hypno, etc etc) and still been unsuccessful in losing weight. You're 2.7kg from goal and lost the majority of your weight prior to WLS - him performing major surgery on someone who is almost a healthy weight by BMI standards and proven capable of doing it themselves would be borderline negligent. 

• Like 3

Jellybelly89 has a point about the negligent idea, there really is no reason for you to have further surgery and a Dr. is really skating a thin line performing surgery that is really not required. . .  Even with PHI there are still huge costs to the government when surgery is performed. . .  and . . .  Every Dr. takes the hippocratic oath to 'First do no harm'.

Having said that you are entitled to a 2nd, or 3rd or even 10th opinion from another Dr.

• Like 1

Hi ladies, thanks for your advice. I can see where he is coming from too. The reason for having the band  installed was as a maintenance tool - I can loose weight but I've always put it back on and then some.

He offered to do an unfill to help with the food situation but I'm apprehensive about it. Since my operation in December I've lived mostly on Optifast.. knowing I can have it and not be sick is a relief. 

I'm also a vegetarian and have struggled to eat simple salads and vegetables without being sick! Often meat replacements are too dry unless drowned in fatty sauces...

I definitely need to do something about my port, not only is it prominent and in the way but it's definitely not secured to the muscle... 

I want the peace of mind that comes with the sleeve/bypass after the initial big ordeal and recovery. Not having to worry about foods getting stuck, having regular follow ups, flipped ports, leaking/eroded/slipped bands and therefore future removal. 

Yes it's costly to the health system but I have private health insurance and I too pay taxes, my health and wellbeing is important. By changing my lifestyle now and having this done will save the government a fortune when I get older as I won't need the medical interventions for the health conditions of an obese person. 

Thanks heaps though

• Like 1

I'd think the fact that your port is painful and you're having the regurgitation issues/stuck moment could be cause for a surgical revision to a Sleeve?? I doubt you'd get a bypass at your weight as I was knocked back for one myself for my revision as I wasn't heavy enough apparently, though I have heard of other people who were the same weight I was when sleeved and even slightly lower getting the bypass done. Anyhoo...some would argue that getting an unfill would solve those issues (bar the port pain) but then you'd probably put on weight, so that would be pointless.

I also feel the fact you've got maladaptive eating issues is also a cause for concern. Living on Optifast is not realistic nor is it good for your long term health especially your kidneys plus it's defeating the whole reason for having a Band in the first place which I'm sure you already know. I'd be going to get another opinion or 2 from a couple of other Surgeons. You've got PHI so you're not limited in choice. Find a back up Surgeon just in case your original one won't budge on his stance.

My Sleeve actually is a maintenance tool after my Lapband eroded into my stomach. If I didn't have it, the weight would've piled back on and all the exercising and dieting in the world wouldn't of changed it hence I got the Band in the first place after trying and failing at dieting/shakes/pills and exercise. Why most people get WLS in the first place. I say it's no one else's business but yours Luv and if you're unhappy with the Band, then go and get a Revision to a Sleeve. You have some legitimate reasons to do so IMO. Good Luck!!!

Edited by goldilocks1973
  • Like 3

I have deleted comments in this post as its getting completely off topic. This forum is for the constructive advice and experiences of members whom have had all types of weight loss surgery. What works for one may not suit another but the point is to offer knowledge of each situation we encounter. Failure to respect each members opinion will not be tolerated as per the guidelines and rules of this site.

Thank you

• Like 2

Thanks Princess! Can you delete the whole thread please as I have found the surgeons who service this area? Thanks

I have deleted comments in this post as its getting completely off topic. This forum is for the constructive advice and experiences of members whom have had all types of weight loss surgery. What works for one may not suit another but the point is to offer knowledge of each situation we encounter. Failure to respect each members opinion will not be tolerated as per the guidelines and rules of this site.

Thank you

Good luck BHGirl!

I had my band removed due to it affecting my quality of life and I am now sleeved. Whilst not an easy road and the increased risk of leaks and other complications need to be taken into account, it was enabled me to live a normal life.

Best of luck with your next stage of WLS solutions :)

Thanks Kazbo!! I have booked into the Oclinic with Dr Taylor for a second opinion as I couldn't get a suitable appointment in Dubbo or Orange and I'm very hopeful he will weigh up the problems and decide to sleeve me, I really want it out!!

And thanks to the others who shared their experiences and concerns I appreciate it

Edited by BHgirl14
  • Like 3

OOOOH! Dr Taylor (AKA Dr McDreamy) is supposed to be very skilled at band-to-sleeve revisions!

I also recommend Dr Talbot and Dr Jorgensen (both in Sydney and both extremely skilled in band to sleeve or band to bypass revisions). Jorgensen seems to prefer to g band-sleeve-bypass (if the sleeve is not a good solution for the ex-bandit), whereas Talbot is happy to go (and I think prefers to go) band-bypass.

OOOOH! Dr Taylor (AKA Dr McDreamy) is supposed to be very skilled at band-to-sleeve revisions!

I also recommend Dr Talbot and Dr Jorgensen (both in Sydney and both extremely skilled in band to sleeve or band to bypass revisions). Jorgensen seems to prefer to g band-sleeve-bypass (if the sleeve is not a good solution for the ex-bandit), whereas Talbot is happy to go (and I think prefers to go) band-bypass.

oooh Kazbo if I could jump through the computer to hug you I would!!! Would Talbot do Band to Bypass in one? I know it's not the done thing but I'd prefer to go under once! Guess who I'll be calling tomorrow :-* :-*

• Like 1

I would doubt very much that he (or any of the surgeons mentioned in this thread) would do a band-whatever in one, because the risk of a leak is vastly increased and what apparently happens is that after the lap band is removed, the stomach starts to swell (normal reaction). This means that they usually can't make the sleeve or pouch as small as they could.

Please err on the side of caution, have the band removed then wait the required period of time to heal (and to also remind yourself how fabulous normal, healthy food is!) and then see about the next op (if that's what they want you to do).

I relished in being able to eat salad sandwiches again...and...fruit! yoghurt! salad! chicken breast! OMG!

• Like 1

Dr Talbot's next appointment was in March however, my surgeon has squeezed me in just before Christmas so the best case scenario will be that he agrees to revise me. If he declines I have an appointment with McDreamy the following day! I'll err on the side of caution, I'll be stoked to revise full stop!! I'll be worried just like everyone about the 3 month wait. I'll let you know how I go. A month to wait until I know!!

• Like 2

you are so lucky to jag an early appointment! he is a truly gifted surgeon :)

Sounds like you're on your way @BHgirl14!!!:) Actually, there are quite a few Surgeons who will do a Band to Bypass in one surgery and it seems the vast majority prefer to either do the Roux-en- Y or Omega Loop (mini bypass) over the Sleeve regarding Lapband Revisions as they believe it has a better success rate in terms of weight loss after Lapband. Am reading many stories from patients on some other closed groups I'm a member of that have had or are having this done so you never know your luck Luv!!:)  Doing a Band to Sleeve is a different story and there aren't many Surgeons at all here in Aus who will do them in one go due to the increase risk of a leak.

Will look out for your update...Good Luck!!!

Edited by goldilocks1973
  • Like 1

Sounds like you're on your way @BHgirl14!!!:) Actually, there are quite a few Surgeons who will do a Band to Bypass in one surgery and it seems the vast majority prefer to either do the Roux-en- Y or Omega Loop (mini bypass) over the Sleeve regarding Lapband Revisions as they believe it has a better success rate in terms of weight loss after Lapband. Am reading many stories from patients on some other closed groups I'm a member of that have had or are having this done so you never know your luck Luv!!:)  Doing a Band to Sleeve is a different story and there aren't many Surgeons at all here in Aus who will do them in one go due to the increase risk of a leak.

Will look out for your update...Good Luck!!!

which closed groups are you in Goldilocks? I would prefer B2B if I can have it done in one but not sure if at 64kg it's an option? Would love to have a few names of who is doing this procedure.

From what I've read B2 Sleevers do have a slower weight loss but now I'm within a few kgs of my goal it really is a maintenance tool unlike the band - my surgeon called it that as he didn't expect me to lose any more weight! 

Thanks for your support Goldilocks, I will be very eager to update you in a few weeks!

• Like 1

my weightloss is painfully slow...a lot has to do with my choices...but even when I do actually knuckle down it just doesn't happen...if I had my time over again, I would have definitely seen another surgeon who does bypass as well as sleeves.

Goldilocks, I'm on the Gastric Sleeve & BYpass Australia Facebook group... it's closed but not secret so your FB friends may see that you are a member but they cant see what you post.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1522935474586942/

• Like 1

which closed groups are you in Goldilocks? I would prefer B2B if I can have it done in one but not sure if at 64kg it's an option? Would love to have a few names of who is doing this procedure.

From what I've read B2 Sleevers do have a slower weight loss but now I'm within a few kgs of my goal it really is a maintenance tool unlike the band - my surgeon called it that as he didn't expect me to lose any more weight! 

Thanks for your support Goldilocks, I will be very eager to update you in a few weeks!

my weightloss is painfully slow...a lot has to do with my choices...but even when I do actually knuckle down it just doesn't happen...if I had my time over again, I would have definitely seen another surgeon who does bypass as well as sleeves.

Goldilocks, I'm on the Gastric Sleeve & BYpass Australia Facebook group... it's closed but not secret so your FB friends may see that you are a member but they cant see what you post.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1522935474586942/

Hi Girls...sorry it's taken so long to get back to you both. Things have been a bit "Cray-Cray" in my part of the world!!:)

Anyhoo...Yes, the Gastric Sleeve and Bypass FB Group that @kazbo has mentioned would be a good one for you @BHgirl14 join as there are lots of people in there who have gone B2B all in one go plus I'm sure they could help you find a Surgeon too. In saying that, I've never seen anyone with a start weight of 64 kg's having it done. I think the lowest weight I've seen is 78-ish kg's??

There are also lots of B2S's in there too. There are a couple of  Sleeve only closed groups: Gastric Sleeve Australia Support/ Aussie Gastric Sleeve Support which are pretty good too.  Good luck with your appointment Luv!! Will keep my eager eye out for your update:) P.S...Ask about the Minimizer Ring for the Sleeve as added insurance down the track to try to prevent the Sleeve from "stretching" too much. I wanted that after my request for Bypass was denied but yet again was told "No":angry: Personally, I think it was because this time I went Public as I had no more $ to be able to go Privately again.

@kazbo Yes, that's a pretty good group of people on there Luv though people can sometimes get a bit carried away with things at times!!!:lol: My weight loss has been slow too in the big scheme of things but I've been ok with that as long as I kept losing and could get back to my original GW. My greatest concern is in the long term and after watching the Youtube video I posted on my thread last week that shows how much everyone will be able to eat down the track regardless of whether Sleeved/Bypassed has really upset my bloody applecart!!!:(

Edited by goldilocks1973