Kitty Mum

Flipped Port and Angry Staples

Hi, I'm 9.5 weeks banded now and when I went in for my second fill, there was a problem.  Anyway, after lots of digging with needles and fingers, the pain got too much and I was referred for an xray.  Turns out the port has flipped and the staples holding it in place now face the wrong way and dig into my abdomen...the pain since all the digging about has been unbearable at times!  Unfortunately I do not have private insurance, my original surgery was covered by my superannuation, so there are no more funds there for now.  I am lucky that my surgeon also operates in the public system, but I will have to wait on the list, like everyone else.  Really hoping it's a short list!  I never felt any pain when it may have actually all come undone and certainly never did any core exercises so I am at a loss as to why it's happened.  My doctor has said he will stitch the port in when I have surgery.  Has anyone else had staples come undone and if so, did stitching the port in, keep it in place?  Really disappointed, as I am hungry much of the time as it is, so was looking forward to my next fill and weight loss has slowed to almost nothing.  I have "almost" 3mL in, so far.  Are there any questions I should be asking my doctor?  Was in too much pain when I left his rooms last week.  Thanks!

sorry to hear that your port has flipped. Mine also flipped. I went in for my first fill and after all the needle poking they bent like 3 or 4 needles and burred the ends of a few too and finger jabbing. I was also sent for and xray, my port had completely flipped that even in the xray it looked normal so in went another needle, when he burred the end of that one and bent it, he finally decided it must be flipped. I was angry and upset that i had to have more surgery. The only time I can think of it flipping was one day i had bent down to pick something off the floor, i had a bit of pain but nothing that I would have even considered the port flipping. My port was stitched in at the original op. He did tell me that it was the old style of port and they have a habit of flipping something to do with how they are stitched in. He switched it to the new style when i had it fixed. The op itself is pretty simple. I was only in hospital for about 2 hours after surgery.  My stomach was completely black a few days after all the jabbing and it hurt for a while. Hopefully your wait isn't to long to have it fixed.

• Like 1

Thanks Trina, it's of some comfort to know it's not just me, although I wouldn't wish it on anyone else.  I can completely relate to the black stomach after all the jabbing, the pain was incredible.  I'm still sore now, but it's no longer agony. I hope the wait is not too long, very glad to hear that the op will be a simple matter, once they fit me in.  After the original op, I was in so much pain for a week, then all came good, but I was worried about how a second op, to fix the port, would also be awful for days.  

Thanks Trina, your timing is amazing!  I got my port replaced yesterday, am in quite a bit of pain today but I was expecting that.  Once it settles, hopefully I'll feel like new.  Managed to get moved up the public list due to the amount of pain the staples were causing, very grateful  for a shorter wait than I was initially told.   Seeing Dr next Monday, assuming I will also get a fill then so this band of mine can do it's job!

That's great! I am so glad you didn't have to wait any longer. I hope you have a speedy recovery. From memory mine wasn't overly long but I didn't have pain from staples either.

Thanks, I was so happy to not have to wait up to a year, which was what I was initally told!  Ready to get back to focusing on this band and losing the weight....Thankfully still managed to lose a little while waiting, was really worried I'd gain as always so hungry!  Now looking forward to a speedy recovery, thanks again.

• Like 1