Rosemary

Preparing yourself for lapband surgery

I am due to be banded first week of January.  I only have about 15kgs to lose but I am a short person so for me it is a lot.

I am wondering how others have prepared themselves before the op.  I have identified my triggers eg snacking and emotional eating and not chewing my food properly.  I have started to practice eating slower and not running to food after dark.

I have also been exercising because I think the fitter I am the better the recovery.

There are so many positives about lap banding but also negatives.

Would really love to hear your experiences and what to do and what not to do.

• Like 1

Could I ask what your BMI is Rosemary?

Personally research was the best thing for me. Taking note of people's honest experiences both good and bad and trying to identify similar personalities and habits to see where I may fail and be aware of those going into it. Be realistic about what you're willing to do, because without making long term changes WLS will do very little for you long term

• Like 1

The exercise is a great idea Rosemary! It gives you routine and makes recovery easier. 

Id say from experience, practising to eat slower is so important. I was the a fastest eater and I still sometimes forget to slow it down but I'm still learning. Distract yourself and play with your food. Don't starve yourself though, take this time to enjoy food and eat healthily. I still want pizza and burgers time to time but I know physically I can't so I don't bother, this is the plus of the band.

dont beat yourself up if you don't lose weight before surgery, everybody is different. I've lost 18kgs and I'm 5-6 weeks post surgery but many people are different. 

I wish you all the luck with your surgery and hope for a speedy and not too painful recovery. 

Meg xx

• Like 1

Thank you for you Jellybelly and Meg25 for your replies

My BMI is between 35-37 way too much for my frame.  I have battled my weight my whole life.

I have always exercised and between menopause and kids no matter what I do I cannot shift the weight.

I know it is a tool to help me on my way so I am psyching myself up from now until then on what I need to change to make

this work. 

I feel so uncomfortable.  I am too big for normal shop clothes and too small for clothes from big lady shops.

Now that my children have grown up I really want to concentrate on myself for a change

Good on you Rosemary! It's never too late to step in and make a big change. My mum is almost 60, 5ft2in and she is up and down with weight since having babies. You're making a fantastic decision for your yourself and your family. You will feel amazing! 

Hi Rosemary,

How exciting - just one more sleep!  I hope that all goes well for your and look forward to following your journey.  All the best for your op on Monday.

Hi Rosemary,

How exciting - just one more sleep!  I hope that all goes well for your and look forward to following your journey.  All the best for your op on Monday.

tthank you NEWME1

Went in yesterday and for me the anesthetic was worse than the procedure. Have been drinking water and optifast.

Happy to say I didn't need any painkillers at all. Have been up and about already.

So happy to start my new journey.

• Like 4

Today is 5 days post op. Still in some sort of discomfort. My shoulder still hurts on and off. Have been following the rules to a "T". No vomiting or reflux but lots of burping . At times when I am really uncomfortable I remind myself why I am doing this. My clothes are already loose. So all in all very happy I went through with it.

• Like 1

Hi Rosemary,  glad to hear that all went well.  I took some Degas as suggested by a nursing friend to help with the burping and gas and it seemed to settle down within 24-48 hours.  I too followed the rules to a T and found it worked really well.  So far nothing has "stuck", no reflux, no vomiting!  Probably going to get my first fill this month, but off to see the dietitian first.  So happy to share in your good experience too.  Keep up the good work and keep posing. Luck 

Hi Rosemary,

I hope you are recovering well from your surgery and you are starting to feel normal again.

I would highly recommend that you invest in a "portion perfection" plate and bowl - I still use mine 5 years on :) I would also recommend that you invest in a small set of cutlery (like entrée-sized knife and fork) to prevent eating too big a bites or too fast.

Keep your fluids up and start walking (if you don't already). You'll be able to do more strenuous activity after 6 weeks (you need to let those incisions heal - they don't look like much on the outside but there is a whole lot of healing that needs to happen on the inside).

Aside from that, just follow the instructions from your clinic and give them a ring if you have any concerns.

Hi Rosemary,  glad to hear that all went well.  I took some Degas as suggested by a nursing friend to help with the burping and gas and it seemed to settle down within 24-48 hours.  I too followed the rules to a T and found it worked really well.  So far nothing has "stuck", no reflux, no vomiting!  Probably going to get my first fill this month, but off to see the dietitian first.  So happy to share in your good experience too.  Keep up the good work and keep posing. Luck 

Hi Newme1

Glad you aren't having any issues as well. I once read somewhere that if you follow the 8 Golden Rules you will be fine. I am on mushies as of Monday. Who is your dietician?

Hi Kazbo

I already have my portion plates and vitamins ready to go. I have been walking since day 2 and increasing my walks everyday. 

Will try degas. I have also been getting a feeling like stomach rumbles but I don't feel hungry.

At first I  thought what the hell have I done. But watching my weight go down e everyday changed my mind.

My first mushie breakfast was scrambled eggs and it was, and will remain, the best scrambled eggs of my life.

• Like 3

half a chopped banana with yoghurt is a yummy mushie meal, as is scrambled eggs or baked beans.

Today is 11 days post op.  I have lost 4.2kgs.  It hasn't been easy.  In the first week I thought

I would never feel normal again and wondered what the hell did I do.  But that has all passed. Feeling great.  Feels so good feel comfortable

in my own clothes again.  My first mushie day was the best day ever.  After a week on clear foods it felt really good to have real

food at meal times.  The hardest part is remembering to chew your food properly and wait for 1 minute before the next mouthful.

I have been a food shovelor for many years and it is a hard habit to break.

So I downloaded a timer on my phone and use that once I swallow my food.  Still finding it hard to finish a 1/4 cup of food but I don't mind

I can see results. 

Still a long way to go but I know I can do it.

• Like 3

Hi Rosemary,

Glad to hear that you are doing well.  I have been seeing Helen Bauzon as my dietitian and we get along really well.  She is a wealth of information.  Real food is great.... but so is being able to eat it and still loose the weight.  Great idea about the timer, try adding something else to the mix to help you if you are out.  I make a conscious effort to put down my knife and fork, or to play with them in a certain way to ensure that enough time has passed before the next mouthful.  Habits are such a pain and tend to pop back up at the worst times, so I'm hoping that my new habits will replace them permanently.  I also use a baby knife & fork, and spoon when at home - it helps heaps with keeping mouthfuls small.  So far, touch wood, no stuck moments, no vomiting.  Do you have a dietitian yet?  Keep in touch.  Cheers...

Hi Newme1

Glad you are going well.  Keep up the good work.

I am seeing Helen Bauzon on Wednesday.

Like you, knock wood, I have not had any stuck moments and vomiting but then again have done everything the doctor said to do.  I have bought small cutlery for work and have used small cutlery at home.  I am glad I have my timer.  Sometimes what feels like 1min between mouthfuls is actually 30 seconds.  The one thing Helen stressed was to wait one minute between bites.

I find with the lapband I think about my food choices a lot more carefully.  Before I went out today I prepared my meal so that it was ready when I came home.  There so much food around and I wasn't even tempted to buy anything.

Also people ask questions about how much time they need off work.  For me it was 2 weeks to feel completely back to my old self again.

Keep me posted with your progress.  Regards.

Have lost 5.6kgs since 4th Jan.  Really happy with that. 

Went out to lunch today (the portion they served I could divide it and have 4 dinners) and forgot to chew my food properly.  I started to feel uncomfortable and sat there wishing I hope this is not my first stuck moment.  So I stopped eating (I hadn't eaten 1/3 of cup of food) and asked the waiter to put it in a takeaway container and took it home. I felt really proud of myself because I would have normally ploughed through the whole thing.  The upside I have 3 meals ready in the fridge waiting for me when I get home from work.

Have started exercising and basically back to normal.

I saw Helen Bauzon and her advice is to eat 1 cup of food at meal times and you are less likely to snack. Although Helen didn't say this but I have a couple of mantras in my head and I repeat them all the time.  If I am out and I am tempted to snack I ask myself  "Do I really need it?????" and ten times out of ten I don't. The other one is "Sugar is your enemy!" The band has helped me cut sugar out of my diet completely. 

My banding is next week.  I haven't done the Optifast perfectly.  I was so hungry after a few days. I do not recall my surgeon or the nutritionist telling me I should eat it apart from "getting used to that kind of food and amounts".  

Hope I go as well as you guys.