Bel1995

Am getting scared any advice before lapband

Hi everyone

I am having the lapband done in January and am feeling abit scared. 

Could someone please guide me through the process.  I am terrified with needles as well. 

Is the pain very bad after and can you feel a foreign object inside you after as in feel the band and cord? I have had my gallbladder removed and was sore after but it wasnt unbearable. 

Sorry I am feeling anxious already its definitely the anticipation and not knowing.  Only my husband knows so I dont have anyone else to share it with. 

Would appreciate if you would kindly share your experience and any tips..

Hey Bel1995! Sorry to hear you're nervous, definitely normal feelings given the big decision that you've made. Have you spoken to your surgeon about your concerns? They should be able to guide you on what to expect and their after care process at the very least! 

My post op pain wasn't too pain, I was up shortly after waking up and walking around. I had stronger pain relief in hospital but when I got home just liquid panadol for about 3 days. I couldn't sleep laying down for the first 2-3 nights so slept in a reclining chair and then progressed back to bed with a few pillows. I couldn't feel anything foreign in general but if I push in a certain area I can feel my port easily (which was the intent). Post op is definitely bearable, but is uncomfortable. I had 2 weeks off work (I work in an office) and needed that full amount to feel up to a full day at work even though mine isn't physical. I could have gone back earlier for shorter days after a week though, as I wasn't in pain just tired.

I'm pretty terrified of needles, I looked at a flu shot going in once and passed out :rolleyes: For my fills I never look, just lay down and tense my tummy, feel a little pinch and its done. 

Good luck for January, it will be completely fine but try and contact your surgeon about your concerns xx

Hi Bel, just think about that size 10 hottie staring back at you in the mirror, and it'll make those needles bearable. There'll only be one tiny one anyway, and we can all deal with tiny one, right (especially considering the reward)?

Sure, you'll be sore for a little while, but probably similar to what your gall bladder op was like. I was hobbling around for about a week, but was walking ok after the first week, although gently. 2 weeks and you'll be right as rain (probably 6 weeks before you'll be fully cleared for strenuous exercise though [check with your own doc]). I can feel my port too, was a little creepy at first, but you get used to it.

Always SO exciting when someone new joins the ranks. Try to turn your nerves into excitement for your new life that lays ahead.

Thank you so much for your replies its really appreciated.  I suppose its fear of the unknown and if something should go wrong I cant afford a second operation as my super will be covering this one.  Some of the blog sites have horror stories about the lap band. 

I think partly too as I wont be telling people that I am bit worried about covering it up.  

I am fully committed to following the rules and have watched prof o brien video on the rules :)

Maybe it will be better once I see the dietician as well :)

And have to say am welcoming this new change of lifestyle!  Definitely excited about that!  Not having to hide and feel under confident. 

Would 100% recommend looking into private health if you can manage it - bands have a high percentage of having to have further surgery and it would be difficult to get the care you need in the public system :unsure:

Maybe write down your questions and see if the dietician has any answers as well?

Thanks I will do we only had basic hospital cover which didn't include lap band so this arvo I have changed it :)

What foods did you eat post op during the liquid stage?

I was banded on monday - am feeling ok more sore from gas pains. So far have had clear broth, jelly, water, herbal tea and coffee. Also had a optifast shake. 

Am i allowed to have a very thin watery vegetables and chicken soup with no lumps i.blended it till water thin? I cant find my list anywhere from the dietician. 

Sustagen, strained soups, drinking yogurt thinned with milk and fruit/veg juice with water made up most of mine for that week

• Like 1