Sohealthy

Intermediate patient anyone? Wait time is hard!

Hi everyone,

I am very excited to say that I will be sleeved in November.  

I have private health insurance but dropped my level of cover which took out gastrics. So, I have increased back up & now have to wait 12 months. Boo to that!!

Anyway, I don't think I am going to be able to wait!! Has anyone out there been recently been treated as a private patient in a public hospital? My surgeon requires PHI but I would consider swapping if I could be sleeved sooner!

How do I cope psychologically when you have to wait 12 months!? 

Sohealthy (soon to be..)

I had to wait 12 months for my private health to kick in also. I actually was thankful for the 12 months as i did as much research as possible, met and talked to anyone and everyone plus formed great eating and lifestyle habits so that when it came time i was 100% ready. I never regretted having to wait that period. Maybe look at it as a set time to prepare yourself mentally

• Like 2

Yes, thanks this is a good point. In my mind I feel so ready but there is always more to learn & prepare for. I guess I have waited this long, 11 more months isn't that long.

I don't have PHI and opted to self fund. For me 12 months was just too much to wait, I was concerned abut my health getting worse. 

My sleeve op is in a month and half. I do wonder now though if I have given myself enough time to consider all my options. 

• Like 1

I would simply suggest for anyone with doubts, speak to your doctors, family, friends, people here. Be sure of what you want and WHY you want it. Be sure you can commit to it. Total personal opinion here - be sure you've given other non-medical methods a real solid effort before surgery. It is not a magic bullet and you must work at it like any other form of weight loss. The people in these forums who have put weight back on and are struggling to lose again will tell you all about that. It's a commitment to change your life. The sleeve/band won't do it for you, it's just a tool to help you. I for one never regret it for a second, and it helps me exercise my will power to make the better choices.

• Like 2

I don't have PHI and opted to self fund. For me 12 months was just too much to wait, I was concerned abut my health getting worse. 

My sleeve op is in a month and half. I do wonder now though if I have given myself enough time to consider all my options. 

Good on you for being proactive about your health. I have been struggling with my weight my entire life so for me it feels right. I have done ooodles of research and feel like it is the tool for me to change. I did consider self funding but am a bit concerned about the after costs if I need follow up surgery (although I have read about people being admitted to public hospitals for follow up care). Wishing you all the best & I can't wait to hear how it all goes for you ;)

Hi there, I've been lurking around this site for the last 12 months as I was in the same position as you.  My surgery is scheduled for five weeks time.  This time last year I thought the wait would be agony but now I'm grateful for it.  I did heaps of research to prepare myself and have made changes to my lifestyle that will help me be prepared for the journey ahead.  I've lost about 25 kg by drastically reducing the amount of refined carbs I was consuming, which I imagine has reduced my anaesthetic risk and will make my recovery a bit easier.  I also used the 12 month waiting period to have everything set up to go - there was a bit involved in preparation.  This is my timeline if that helps?

February 2015 - researched the types of surgery available and surgeons in the surrounding areas.  It was important to me that I find a surgeon who has a multi-disciplinary approach, one who has a dietician and psychologist as part of the team.

May 2015 - attended surgeon's information session.

July 2015 - GP appointment for referral and blood tests

August 2015 - Surgeon and dietician appointment

September 2015 - applied for early release of superannuation to pay for my out of pocket expenses - this took about six weeks.

November 2015 - set up appointments with psychologist to help me through the process

December 2015 - Anaesthetic appointment

End January 2016 - will begin my preop Optfast diet.

It's still been hard to wait but the financial risk in the case of complications was too great for me.  Hope this helped and that all goes well for you.

• Like 1

I've been lurking here for a while too GeorgieGirl - not much longer for you now!

I was in the same position as you Sohealthy.  I increased my level of PHI cover in October 2014 to cover sleeve surgery.

I didn't know how I was going to wait 12 months, but it gave me more time to research and went by very fast really!

I was booked for surgery in October 2015 but had to postpone due to a family illness.  I am now scheduled for 27 January -  2 weeks tomorrow!  I'm on day 2 of Optifast today which is a bit of a struggle but I just keep reminding myself of the reward at the end if I stick with it.

Hope all goes well for you and the waiting isn't too much!!

Chell x  :rolleyes:

Edited by chellg
  • Like 1